1) Hearthstone
2) Divinity Original Sin
3) GTA5 Remastered
4) Warcraft - WOD
5) Valiant Hearts

Worst gamer ever released in 2014: Destiny
Worst cover up by a publisher in game history: Activision/Destiny
Worst Gameplay and Missions in Game History: Activision/Destiny
Worst anything in the history of Mankind: Destiny.

Caliane

Path of Exile

I'm overruling the rule that the game has to originally release in 2014. PoE has seen a large (free) expansion this year as well as multiple HUGE patches adding large amounts of new content and leagues to the game this year.

I've put 300+ hours into PoE this year. I probably haven't played every other game combined for that much.

My #2-5 would be:
South Park: Stick of Truth
Wasteland 2
Dark Souls 2
Far Cry 4
yeah, the idea of a "game of the year" requiring being released in any given year is kindof flawed these days.
Many game, especially online of course, now use a long tail model. the base game acting as a platform, with new content being added continuously.

PoE got the most play time, and most money from me, that is for sure.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Best:
Alien: Isolation....mainly because the hype around it was in vain. After the colossaa clusterfuck called Colonial Marines, this game had an huge dagger above its head. Fans were already disappointed with so many stuff in the past, they were begging so that the first truly horror Alien game would not fail. and it didn't.

Worst:
Watchdogs - so much expectation around it and in the end...da fuck really. Bugs, stupid and bland story, not many likable characters (imo, none actually).
Assassin's Creed: Unity - I thought going back to basics would be good but...no. Again with a poor story, any inovation whatsoever, characters that didn't do anything to be loved or hated. This saga should have ended in Revelations, at least would end on a high note.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Best:
Alien: Isolation....mainly because the hype around it was in vain. After the colossaa clusterfuck called Colonial Marines, this game had an huge dagger above its head. Fans were already disappointed with so many stuff in the past, they were begging so that the first truly horror Alien game would not fail. and it didn't.

Worst:
Watchdogs - so much expectation around it and in the end...da fuck really. Bugs, stupid and bland story, not many likable characters (imo, none actually).
Assassin's Creed: Unity - I thought going back to basics would be good but...no. Again with a poor story, any inovation whatsoever, characters that didn't do anything to be loved or hated. This saga should have ended in Revelations, at least would end on a high note.
Yeah - one would think that even though the studios under Ubi are different, the stories behind Child of Light and Valiant Hearts would ignite something of much higher quality in some of the AAA games. Rogue I hear is pretty good. I'll probably pick it up on sale for the 360 or wait for it to become free and give it a shot.

If you have not tried Valiant Hearts yet, I highly suggest it. Great back stories on World War 1, and the characters are absolutely awesome. It's on sale for PS4 for like 7 bucks right now too.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it's weird that the 'next gen' Unity has been plagued with issues and generally panned by everyone even if everything worked right, while everything I see about Rogue is as positive as AC4's word-of-mouth.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rogue was indeed fantastic. Dem feels + house Bolton wins again makes for a AAA game.

Half way through Far Cry and I would say It just keeps getting better.

the Halo HD master chief collection is well I never played halo 1 or 2 but I'm blown away by the new graphics and remastered sound. Must buy for any xboner.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's weird that the 'next gen' Unity has been plagued with issues and generally panned by everyone even if everything worked right, while everything I see about Rogue is as positive as AC4's word-of-mouth.
Well, one is based on an existing engine with tried and tested mechanics and the other is a brand new tech held together by pieces of string with cash shop leaking out of every orifice.

sukik

I'm just now playing AC:3 so I hope they have Unity unfucked by time I get around to it sometime next year.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Divinity was good but I felt it became repetitive towards the end, and the puzzles were unoriginal pixel hunts. They also went overboard on the environmental effect interactions, and the lack of combat grid made gauging whether you were going to walk into electrified blood difficult.

My list:

1) Legend of Grimrock 2
2) Hearthstone
3) Wasteland 2

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1) Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
2) Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4)
3) Wasteland 2 (PC)
4) Don't Starve Land of Giants (PS4)
5) Infamous Second Son (PS4)

Honorable Mention to Last of Us Remastered (Awesome game, but I can't give a remake a top five spot) and the Shadowrun Expansion for Tablet and PC.

WiiU just did not have anything worth a shit and if you are not a shooter fan, there is not exactly a ton to play on XBone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I bought D:OS and never played it.. perhaps I need to do that.

Also I just can't get into Shadow of Mordor.. it's visually stunning but so repetitive.

spronk

FPS noob
so for someone who hasn't bought/played D:OS yet, couple quick questions

1. are there more DLCs planned?
2. is the current released DLC worth it?
3. is there going to be a GOTY/etc edition with all DLCs?

got a big console backlog still but i'd like to play DOS (after wasteland 2) but usually wait for goty editions on pc games

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Best:
Alien: Isolation....mainly because the hype around it was in vain. After the colossaa clusterfuck called Colonial Marines, this game had an huge dagger above its head. Fans were already disappoint
Very valid point and thanks for pointing that out. If it wasn't for Sukik telling me about AJ's review I wouldn't have even gave Alien a chance because the reviews were so bad that I just figured it was CM all over again. What a load of shit and the game journalists should feel ashamed. Here you got a game for all the SJW shitstains to jerk/finger/scissor themselves off too with a dare I say a awesome female protagonist and it's swept under the rug. Like Issac Clarke, she starts off as a regular engineer/scientist and gets tougher as the game progresses due to the environment. Men and women were losing their minds in fear but she stuck with it like her bad ass mom.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Worst gamer ever released in 2014: Destiny
Worst cover up by a publisher in game history: Activision/Destiny
Worst Gameplay and Missions in Game History: Activision/Destiny
Worst anything in the history of Mankind: Destiny.
Wha? Youre fucking crazy bro. At least it worked out the box, maybe it did not meet your Ut expectations, but the game is solid. Online play is solid, game mechanics are solid. There were so many turds released this year that didnt even work, I dont even know how the fuck you have this one as the worst.

Yeah im a fan and yeah im biased. I also have over 200 hours invested in this game. Loved every minute of it. And cant wait to get home to do more. Fuck you!

Vorph

Destiny was about an 8.5 to me at release, which has steadily dropped to about a 6.0--if I'm feeling generous--due to the mind-boggling ineptitude Bungie has displayed every time there's a patch. I can't even be bothered to install the DLC I already paid for, so that's going to be both the first and last time I ever buy a season pass.

That said, no matter how badly Bungie fucked up, Destiny isn't even in the ballpark of Murdered: Soul Suspect.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont play too many games these days so I cant comment on what is best or worst. But Destiny being the worst? Fuck I can name a few off the top of my head like Titanfall, The Halo bullshit thats still broken, Watchdogs that flopped, The new assasins creed which was broken right out the box.... BF4 which was broken for 6 months before they fixed it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wha? Youre fucking crazy bro. At least it worked out the box, maybe it did not meet your Ut expectations, but the game is solid. Online play is solid, game mechanics are solid. There were so many turds released this year that didnt even work, I dont even know how the fuck you have this one as the worst.

Yeah im a fan and yeah im biased. I also have over 200 hours invested in this game. Loved every minute of it. And cant wait to get home to do more. Fuck you!
Gameplay was decent, graphics were good, but it was like a really short, shallow puddle when it came to content.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Gameplay was decent, graphics were good, but it was like a really short, shallow puddle when it came to content.
and thats fine, I can take that criticism, but worst of the year? Yeah maybe in UT la-la land. At its worst it gave you 20-30 hours of content at the short end until shit got repetitive. And thats not even touching the PvP side.