Retro and New Video Game Picture/Video Thread

xrg

Golden Squire
Played some Bubble Bobble today. For some reason I still have the password EECFG memorized since when I was a kid. I'll die knowing that stupid password, but forget actually useful stuff like Math.

mxcuz.png

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Played some Bubble Bobble today. For some reason I still have the password EECFG memorized since when I was a kid. I'll die knowing that stupid password, but forget actually useful stuff like Math.

mxcuz.png
Nah, sounds like your priorities are straight bro.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Love me some Snatcher on Sega CD. I ended up Ebaying this a couple years ago for like 120 bucks.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Did you ever get to finish it?
If I remember right, I did finish it, but it was a long time ago. I would love to play it again, but I only have the Japanese version (for GameBoy Advance).
It was certainly a charming game that I appreciated a lot for its time.

Unrelated:
rrr_img_8389.jpg
rrr_img_8390.jpg
rrr_img_8391.jpg
rrr_img_8392.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If that was the market price back, my dad was a lot cooler than I thought back then for buying that for us.
I spent that much on the Genesis version of SFII because not only did I have to buy the $70 cartridge, but I also had to buy 2 new 6-button controllers. I think it ended up costing a good $120-$130 or so.

One of my favorite fighting games(great in the arcade, pretty shitty on consoles but I still played the hel out of it):

PitFighterGenFront-h450.png

pf.jpg

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I would love to hear the reasoning behind why so many of these games replaced the original JP box art. The SF2 ones are as terrible as Castlevania. I'd like to be in their meetings where this was discussed. "Well, Americans don't like awesome looking character art. Let's spend more money and hire someone to make something not as good."

Szlia

I suspect that most of the time it was because these covers were made by artists that were not in-house: famous japanese illustrators who were paid for the use of their artwork in Japan, but not abroad. As a result, paying the guy and retouching the artwork for localisation would probably have been more expensive than just having some schmuck make a cover from the ground up. I guess as the game industry grew both in professionalism and in market size outside Japan, the deals with the illustrators evolved.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Always wanted to play this so bad. I remember seeing pictures from the Japanese version in EGM way back in the day. I never even knew Snatcher was ported to the U.S.

Love me some Snatcher on Sega CD. I ended up Ebaying this a couple years ago for like 120 bucks.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
It's simple, they just don't give a shit unlike the Japanese who take so much pride in everything they do.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind why so many of these games replaced the original JP box art. The SF2 ones are as terrible as Castlevania. I'd like to be in their meetings where this was discussed. "Well, Americans don't like awesome looking character art. Let's spend more money and hire someone to make something not as good."

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I'm not a fan of Xbox but I have to admit, this could be really cool if done right.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, it was always a running joke with my brother and I. It's almost like they had to justify some amateur artist's payroll in the U.S.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Used to play Robotrek a lot. Loved that game.

Robots reminded me of a couple games I played a lot of...

Metal Marines and Herzog Zwei

rrr_img_8708.jpg
rrr_img_8709.jpg
rrr_img_8710.jpg
rrr_img_8711.jpg
rrr_img_8712.jpg