Retro Gaming Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

stopped in at the used game store in search of instant gratification today. was just going to buy a cheapo PS2 game or two (i did end up buying Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 as well), but saw this and just couldn't pass it up. paid $50 for it, running great on my original SNES so far.

i've already played through the game on emulator, but playing on real hardware is always more satisfying.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Siliconemelons

That is a home made cart right? they got for 50$ damn - I know you have to have quite some equipment and sacrifice the right cart in order for it to work..

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah some guy in canada makes them is what the shop said... would have paid $10-$15 less if i got it from ebay, but yeah was looking for instant gratification today. plus there's always the risk the cart doesn't work with stuff like this, and buying it from a store lessens my risk.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>

stopped in at the used game store in search of instant gratification today. was just going to buy a cheapo PS2 game or two (i did end up buying Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 as well), but saw this and just couldn't pass it up. paid $50 for it, running great on my original SNES so far.

i've already played through the game on emulator, but playing on real hardware is always more satisfying.
Damn, home-made or not, that's pretty sweet! I've only got the Super Famicom original, which has way too much text for me to be able to get into.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
OK, so my last avatar (the jumping monkey) was kind of obscure. I'm not sure even I would be able to identify it if not for having captured it myself.

But I asked my wife if she recognized my current avatar and she got it on her first guess. I was floored. It's not a game she's ever watched me play (there are a few, like the Donkey Kong Country series, that she'll happily watch me 100% at any given time), and it's not a game she remembers playing herself. She just associated it with the polished style (and, presumably, the Japanesque theme).

@Mire guessed it right away too, although we did both initially play it at around the same time. Maybe I'm just incorrectly assuming she's a forgettable tertiary character and, instead, she actually makes a strong impression on players.

Guess this one and get a Steam key for Pac Man 256. Marmac Marmac , my brother and myself all played the shit out of it. At his peak, MarMac reached the top 20 in the world leaderboards. I haven't come close, but damned if trying hasn't been a lot of fun.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've been thinking it was from Legend of the Mystical Ninja but I'm not sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
this game is super addicting, thanks again dude. arcade style gameplay coupled with incremental permanent advancement is a great formula.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I used to play exclusively with my XBox 360 controller, but Marmac Marmac pointed out to me that the arrow keys on the keyboard are more precise and playing with them tends to end up in less fuckups. I agree. Also, if you want to chain power pellets (which has excellent scoring potential even before you unlock and power up your power-ups), they tend to spawn on the left side of the map.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
250px-Ironsword_cover.png

This one came up in my daily chattings. God I loved this one, so hard if you just jumped into it without a guide or any info otherwise.

Really ahead of its time, with the whole farming zones thing and bosses you had to learn their lil DDR patterns. Just missing the multiplayer aspect. If you take a closer look its almost like the divided amusement park map style WoW zones of today

ironsword_2.gif

Except imo it flows a little better and I'm a sucker for some elemental planes type shit.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I believe the protagonist was also in the Johnny Arcade cartoons.

Lol and this

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Man i remember getting to the end of Ironsword and never being able to beat all 4 bosses at the same time. Also just watched a commercial for Metroid where it had a live actor playing Samus..and it was a guy =P

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The music that plays in Iron Sword 2 when you saw the contents of a chest is top tier. The first boss of 2, the air boss, is very memorable to me because I fought him so many times without knowing you needed the bane scroll (my god bane weapons was this ahead of its time or what lol). The guy who lost the manual for the rental copy at my vidya store can still burn in hell for that.

I like the retro UI with the multicolor gem from the first one more now that I thinking of those games.

Last edited: