Rift: Planes of Telara

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If you're not heavily invested into WOW, it's probably the best DIKU out there unless you really love the lower end raiding that LFR affords you in WOW. SWTOR is probably a close second now.

Saban_sl

shitlord
the cash shop in rift is getting ridiculous. Advertising getting raid currency from those chests is bullshit considering the amount you get is so minuscule that it makes no difference.

Oldbased

> Than U
If I remember correctly it is Oct 8th.
I am currently 59 in Rift, but been playing AA last 2 weeks. I plan to hit 60 before expansion though cause we all know equipment creep most 61 level gear will outdo most of the existing 60 gear so I wasn't worried about investing all my stuff into that gear with this xpac coming along.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Haven't played this in quite a while. How's the solo content these days for someone who doesn't want to bother with joining a raid guild?

uup2it_sl

shitlord
There is a ton of solo content and its all free. If your just looking to muck with something 2 expansion should keep you busy.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I logged into the new zone, saw low FPS, swimming, no mount, and a line of people waiting for crab asses for a story quest. Nope =\

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Loaded this up and played some since the patch. Fun so far, there seem to have been some nice changes since I was last on. Saw that the new souls released with the expansion are only available for 5000 credits, which basically means they're off limits to F2P players, which is disappointing. Got a friend of mine to play again with me, and we're rolling up new characters to basically re-learn the game. Should be something to do for a while at least.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I have been too busy playing int he expansion to do any kind of review but I have some time at the moment. The expansion was released on October 22nd, 2014 after being delayed from Oct. 8th. the delay did the game a lot of good. This expansion delves into the Plane of Water and the elements associated with that. The ethereal and madness specifically within the Rift universe. The first thing Trion did right is that only about 10% of the expansion is actually underwater. The rest of the world is water themed. You'll find a coral reef which has had the water removed, a place of madness beneath the ocean, and a frozen glacier in your travels. The way the zones are designed truly give it a three dimensional feel without using a whole lot of water. In Goboro Reef you'll find water walls which you can swim up to get higher areas of the zone, while in Draumheim you'll using jumping sponges to get back up to the ocean, swim through the ocean then drop back down into zone, in Tarken Glacier you'll use a series of jumping pads to traverse the zone as a giant rift splits the zone in half and you'll use the pads to jump across the ravine and down and up as necessary. This is all done without a whole lot of tedium involved once you understand the way the zones are laid out.

The entry flare, quests, and quest rewards are decent. Nothing amazing or ground breaking but they are good and more importantly they are fun. Trion also managed to make many areas of the expansion funny (especially Draumheim) without resorting to memes and other tired gimmicks. PvP has been reworked to not require separate PvP sets. In fact grinding out your currencies for dungeon and raid gear is easier if you PvP as PvP now gives rewards useful for PvE. Trion's philosophy is that "gear is gear". They seem to have succeeded in getting more people to PvP.

Trion also introduced a new system called minions This is similar to SW:ToR if you've played that. The general idea is that your minions go on missions and bring back artifacts (collectibles), crafting materials, faction increases, and dimension stuff (housing). So far this is one of the most popular features. Dungeons and raids so far are very standard fare, nothing really new here. Not bad but decent amount of fun, and very difficult right now.

There is no real bad to this expansion, being Free to Play it does have a couple of pay gates that can be overcome in game with about 6 weeks of grinding. Buying a 25 dollar collector's edition removes that gate. Their monthly sub (called patron) is insanely awesome. 50% increase to just about everything, money, notoriety, experience, all currencies earned. Well worth the 15 dollars a month.

If you enjoy this style of MMO the expansion is easily worth a look.

Oldbased

> Than U
The issue I have with it ( and I play Rift nightly if only but a hour or so to send out my minions and do some pvp ) is even people 1 week pre expansion that were playing have now quit. It actually seems the game lost players once it came out verus before. I went to the new zones and saw literally no one in a hour there.

Faranor_sl

shitlord
Best way to catch up if level 50? Should I burn through Storm Legion or is there a quicker way?
Instant Adventures or Warfronts (if you find any at that level) until 58/59 and then hop to the Plane of Water. Save any and all boxes you get from warfronts until you hit 65.