Rimworld

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Mine it like a real mineshaft; you have to leave supporting columns in place and can't just clear-cut gigantic empty caverns.

You can build artificial supports via walls as well too if you need to reshape an interior for rooms etc.

Do not make mineshafts. Its hell when infestations spawn.

I'm like 60 hours in the game and have never even tried to make a caravan lol.

Over 200 hours and no caravans!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Infestations just mean you wall off that section of mountain and never speak of it again.

khorum

Murder Apologist
So has anyone done caravans or travelled to other settlements for funzies?

I've been busy not getting raped by... everything....but I just managed to get underground drilling going before my game went to shit. I kept thinking I'd need to be trading with other settlements to relieve some of the pressure.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Just started the vanilla game, prolly wont be trying mods for a while.

I haven't even tried visitting other settlements yet. Is there a rule of thumb for doing that with caravans, etc?
Pussy.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This looks like fun to play in between my binging through the Dark Souls games!

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Do not make mineshafts. Its hell when infestations spawn.

Over 200 hours and no caravans!

Yeah i've lost a ton of folks to infestations now but you cant really avoid mining since steel is so scarce and deep mining takes a while even if you rush for it.

Anyways, i think i've stabilized my newest permadeath game where i can reliable fend off just about every attack and my best dudes are in power armor and miniguns... do I chance a caravan or just research the starship?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Whats the point of power armor when you can still burn to death whilst trying to put out a barn fire that your crazy cunt of a pig farmer started?

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Power armor is good so your melee guys don't get killed by friendly fire.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Man getting a psychic ship crash early enough is just fucking gg.

I'd barely gotten a couple plants up and only had two turrets up when the thing crash landed.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My first world died. I only had 5 people, the prisoner I tried to make into a one of my team backed out and attacked my guys in the middle of a raid from some other random tribe that he wasn't a part of (bullshit). This led to one of my guys dying outright.

Then my battery randomly exploded killing another of my guys fire spread really fast and burned down my stockroom/freezer.... leading to starvation that I was unable to recover from.

Learned a lot though so time for round two! Is there a source for steel or is it just random drops from mining?

khorum

Murder Apologist
You can smelt the slag once you've got machining researched. Then much later you can mine it en masse via deep mining nodes.

It takes a LOT of steel to get there tho and the best mid-game way to do it is trading. I think my next game I'll seat the colony super close to a friendly settlement and just trade furs/apparel for steel since mining/smelting prolly comes out behind when you factor in time etc.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Man getting a psychic ship crash early enough is just fucking gg.

I'd barely gotten a couple plants up and only had two turrets up when the thing crash landed.
Yeah, if you don't at LEAST have EMP grenades you're dead. Mortars are best though.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I was nowhere near mortars lol. I didn't even have a machining table yet! I only had turrets because I did the gorillinaire start.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10 or so IED traps around a crashed poison/psychic ship usually do the trick (surround with traps then trigger the mechs), definitely worth rushing research on those as it is by far the safest strategy for dealing with them.

On my last map I purposefully selected only psychically deaf colonists and left the psychic ship in place. Gives -50 mood to all raiders and traders, free loot from their infighting :D