Robin Williams dead at 63...

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
frown.png

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Fuck. Did he hang himself?

I'm going to guess he used a hose running from a car exhaust to thru the window.

His standup was insane. Like a chihuahua on speed. I remember him making Carson nearly fall out of his chair every time he was a guest on The Tonight Show.

RIP
Looks like he did in fact hang himself as well as attempting to slash his wrists.

So much sadness ...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fuck this shit, now there's a whole bunch of people posting "suicide is OK" "suicide isn't selfish its heroic!" bullshit comments and articles just because Robin Williams decided to off himself.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
CNN did a piece this afternoon on how we need to ban guns so people don't commit suicide with them and they constantly mentioned Robin Williams. Do they even read the news they report?

The house from Mork and Mindy in Boulder, CO.

14714352339_1552ccf63f_o.jpg

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry gaiz, Blizzard will immortalize him even moreso in WoW:Twitter / Warcraft: .@robinwilliams Thank you. ...
You know, this is really cool.

Fuck this shit, now there's a whole bunch of people posting "suicide is OK" "suicide isn't selfish its heroic!" bullshit comments and articles just because Robin Williams decided to off himself.
I do feel so sorry for Robin Williams in this; I loved and admired him as a stellar, once in a 50 year genius; his energy and style were so amazing. That said, I feel even more sorrow and compassion for his family. I have seen the effects of suicide first hand, the scars it leaves on those people who are survivors, and the pain and heartache those who loved him will feel for the rest of their lives. I agree with Shepard Smith. It isn't heroic, it isn't OK, and if you really love the people you are leaving behind, you wouldn't do this to them.

I am going to go watchClub ParadiseandGood Morning, Vietnamagain.

iannis

Musty Nester
Why waste sympathy on some rich asshole that kills himself, no matter how talented he was?

If you have to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for someone contemplating it who isn't talented.

#suicideisheroic

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Talent or lack of talent doesn't make it any less sad. It isn't a heroic act, I haven't seen anyone say that. But it also isn't a cowardly act. It is just some sad shit that happened, most likely at the end of a string of other sad shit.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He had a hell of a career, but he's just an entertainer. People calling him a hero have some backwards ass perspective. The guy sounds like he was an asshole drunken cokehead. He lost $30 million in his first two divorces and still got married a third time and ends up going bankrupt and unable to pay the bills without lowering his career to a TV show that only lasted a season? Yeah what a "genius". Celebrate his body of work, but as an individual sounds like he had a lot of deficiencies. Not really heroic sounding to me.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
He was an abusive alcoholic. Recovering is kind of what "ended" his career. Most people think it was Flubber, but... After he recovered, he was twenty years sober, then fell off the rocker again and hung himself. Literally. Kinda shitty when everyone looks at an alcoholic like that person is proud of who they are. "They're an asshole", when it's really a symptom of a larger problem.

A lot of people remember him for being the "ha ha funny man", but all I can remember is Dead Poet's Society (a movie with a suicide), One Hour Photo, and What Dreams May Come (another movie with a suicide in it). Not Mork and Mindy, Aladdin, Ms. Doubtfire. Either way, it's an impressive body of work, and a very sad way for that individual to finish out their existence.

What makes it so significant, is that for someone with such a diverse capacity to bring joy, laughter, and inspiration, and yet have none left for himself, makes it scary as shit for others who may be facing similar tribulations.

Was what he did heroic? Fuck no. It's the actions of an individual at their weakest. Was he a coward? The action may be cowardly, but I wouldn't call the person a coward. As far as I can tell, he "endured dangerous and unpleasant things" for quite a while.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
He was an abusive alcoholic. Recovering is kind of what "ended" his career. Most people think it was Flubber, but... After he recovered, he was twenty years sober, then fell off the rocker again and hung himself. Literally. Kinda shitty when everyone looks at an alcoholic like that person is proud of who they are. "They're an asshole", when it's really a symptom of a larger problem.

A lot of people remember him for being the "ha ha funny man", but all I can remember is Dead Poet's Society (a movie with a suicide), One Hour Photo, and What Dreams May Come (another movie with a suicide in it). Not Mork and Mindy, Aladdin, Ms. Doubtfire. Either way, it's an impressive body of work, and a very sad way for that individual to finish out their existence.

What makes it so significant, is that for someone with such a diverse capacity to bring joy, laughter, and inspiration, and yet have none left for himself, makes it scary as shit for others who may be facing similar tribulations.

Was what he did heroic? Fuck no. It's the actions of an individual at their weakest. Was he a coward? The action may be cowardly, but I wouldn't call the person a coward. As far as I can tell, he "endured dangerous and unpleasant things" for quite a while.
If you couldn't tell, I have some personal drama relating to suicide. Cowardly probably isn't the right word, and suicide is in almost every instance irrational but at its core, its an ultimately selfish act. For years I had to watch on a daily basis people try to deal with the damage done to them by what was in some ways a malicious suicide; it certainly hardened my views on the topic.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't buy the selfish angle. Some people are just tired of living. It's selfish to expect them to continue just so you can have them in your life. All suicides are different.

I don't know the guy. I wish he'd been a more content individual. I enjoyed his work, but that shit is up to him, and I don't begrudge him his decision.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What is selfish, I think, is tying your baggage to this guy. You have no idea what he went through or what drove him to this horrible thing. Even if you had an idea, that doesn't give you a real understanding of living with his issues for decades.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Suicide is irrational, but so is depression. I remember trying to use logic to find my way out of those dark thoughts and I always ended up right back where I started. When you're depressed, it doesn't feel like there's any kind of "out." You can't reason your way out of it, you're trapped.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So apparently people were sending his daughter photoshopped pictures of his body or some shit?

God I hate people.