Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Hey you need to decolonize your mind!

I had to look up what a Fallist is though. Guess this video is trending.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
If colonization and conquest are such bad things that can never be forgiven or forgotten, where da fuck are my reparation checks from Mongols and Ottomans?

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Cool. I don't know biology or botany but I'm super excited for crazy GMO stuff. One scifi thing I hardly ever see is plants who have an electric input as a power source in addition to sunlight. I think that'd be baller.

While plants running on electricity would be cool from a pure scientific point it would be just adding one more inefficiency to the process. sunlight is plentiful and cheap and creating electricity for the plants has energy conversion loses any way you look at it.
A plant that somehow utilizes the Peltier effect to generate nutrients and can utilize thermal energy losses from any energy conversion system would be mighty.

iannis

Musty Nester
Cool. I don't know biology or botany but I'm super excited for crazy GMO stuff. One scifi thing I hardly ever see is plants who have an electric input as a power source in addition to sunlight. I think that'd be baller.

I don't know enough about the cellular organization of plants. But I know that in animals it's a non starter. Anion / Cation balances are reserved for cellular/organ regulatory processes and local information exchange.

But what the fuck do I know. Maybe some single or multi cellular life could utilize it in an extreme condition? I think though once you reach a critical point of self organization, the regulation of charge and current is mandatory for the integrity of the organism, even for plants. At least for life as we understand it. Maybe there's a creative idea out there with some pseudo-scientific basis for how the cell could be organized differently.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I don't know enough about the cellular organization of plants. But I know that in animals it's a non starter. Anion / Cation balances are reserved for cellular/organ regulatory processes and local information exchange.

But what the fuck do I know. Maybe some single or multi cellular life could utilize it in an extreme condition? I think though once you reach a critical point of self organization, the regulation of charge and current is mandatory for the integrity of the organism, even for plants. At least for life as we understand it. Maybe there's a creative idea out there with some pseudo-scientific basis for how the cell could be organized differently.
There are some bacteria that thrive on electricity and from there it would not be that far of a stretch to genetically engineer some algae.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
While plants running on electricity would be cool from a pure scientific point it would be just adding one more inefficiency to the process. sunlight is plentiful and cheap and creating electricity for the plants has energy conversion loses any way you look at it.
A plant that somehow utilizes the Peltier effect to generate nutrients and can utilize thermal energy losses from any energy conversion system would be mighty.
Sure, assuming the process takes place on farmland with adequate sun. What if it takes place in Manhattan, Alaska, Antarctica, an underwater oil drilling platform or the ISS?

Last edited:

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
So then plants would have to obtain their sugar from another phylum?
Would it have to be a one shot from organic compounds to stuff edible by humans? Why not a multi step process converting simple carbohydrates to more and more comlpex ones with end result that can be eaten by deep space explorers?
At least until we get the Star trek matter resequencers.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
But where does the base sugar molecule come from in the first place if not photosynthesis? Carbs are cool and all, but they require base sugars don't they?

I suppose we could grow plants here on the earth rock which is bathed in starlight in order to use phylum plantae genes to compact the code to make some carbs into some genes that can then be activated by electricity acquired from fossil fuels or solar or nuclear energy up in space or on Mars or whatever at a later date.

But as awesome as all of it is, it all requires a base sugar, right? Am I missing something?