Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
flat,800x800,075,t.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Our "sustainability problems" are mostly tied to logistics, not production.

Can't find the links, but there was a study a couple weeks ago that indicated that more than 40% of the food production of the US is thrown away before it even leaves the farm because it's not matching the presentation standards of the wholesale buyers (bent carrot? compost!).

That was one of the segments on John Oliver right?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That was one of the segments on John Oliver right?
Probably caught from the same sources; don't remember seeing that one.

(I tend not to follow John Oliver regularly. Most of the late news commenters have gone to shit these days...)

khalid

Unelected Mod
Interesting article in the Guardian....

Should we wipe mosquitoes off the face of the earth

Thanks to malaria, they have probably helped to kill more than half of all humans ever to have lived.

Everywhere they exist, apart from parts of east Africa, they are an invasive species. So getting rid of them would be a boon to the ecosystem. What are the local things that eat aegypti that might say, ‘Now we’re hungry’? Well, there are fish and insects that eat the larvae and bats that eat the adults, and birds and geckos, but all of those predators have got other things to eat.”

In reality, as Lindsay and Ranson are quick to point out, the total extinction of all mosquito species would be as senseless as it would be impossible. Of the 3,000 varieties on the planet, only 200 or so bite us;

But what about a narrower specicide, wiping out Aedes aegypti, and dealing a devastating blow to Zika, dengue fever and chikungunya alike? Well, that might be much more desirable – and much more achievable.

Interesting article and will definitely use some of its points to troll some PETA friends of mine in the future.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I listened to that one with my wife while we went to Louisville and back last week.

It was good.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
They never used the word Emergence but I sort of feel like that was what they were talking about.

I loved the definition and description of intelligence using the Rubix cube analogy.

He says a rubix cube can be solved by using pure randomness. However, statistically speaking, it might take 10 quintillion years to arrive at the solution. Randomness will get there eventually, of that we can be sure. But it will take a very long time.

Alternatively, someone might apply a formula to the cube. But if that formula is too simple, such as: "Always turn the furthest Rightmost section once downward", then all you would accomplish is to turn that section in a downward motion forever. You would just rotate that once piece in the same direction for all eternity and never arrive at the solution. You have done worse than chance. You have done something axiomatically stupid.

But if you apply a slightly more complex or descriptive set of rules, you can always solve the cube in 20 moves or less. That is an axiomatic act of intelligence.

To describe in detail each move to solve the cube, by describing its current state, to its next state, by describing where all the individual colors of each individual square are and in each turn describing in detail what to do next. Or you could more elegantly just apply a formulae to it and the solution emerges.

It's like the description of the flocks of starlings in Dawkin's book, The Greatest Show on Earth. For those who haven't read it, he talks about flocks of starling birds. They are striking:

He talks about a computer programmer he knew from Oxford who was trying to model this in a simulation. He was struggling. He could model it...kinda. But it was always obvious that his models were imperfect. He was close, but he couldn't finish it. They just didn't look right. When he finally figured it out, he did so by realizing that his approach was wrong. He was trying to model the flock. Instead, he modeled the bird itself, and its behaviors, set up some basic parameters, and then just cloned that one bird. He set those parameters of behavior lose in his simulated world and voila, he had a flock of starlings.

There has got to be an elegant way to describe the flock of a human brain. Time for me to study Turing and von Neumann I guess? I'm too busy with Islam and horticulture this summer. Turing will have to wait. Still, I loved this podcast. Really got me thinking.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So that EM drive? Looks like it may have a bit more evidence soon.

The post was deleted, so we'll see. But here is the explanation. (Some posts from the Science thread on it.)

Unruh radiation exerts on an accelerating body. At very small accelerations, Unruh wavelengths become so large they can no longer fit in the observable universe. When this happens, inertia is quantized.

Basically, when something is accelerating (speeding up in one direction or changing direction at the same or higher forward velocity), in it's own frame of reference, it will get warmer.

This change in warmth is (in simplified terms) "blackbody radiation". The longer the wavelength of BBR, the "cooler" the radiation.

What the article seems to be saying is that because the acceleration imparted by the microwave radiation is so immeasurably small, and because the wavelength of heat it would generate would be physically impossible in this universe, instead of that acceleration being expressed as an increase in warmth (BBR), it becomes "quantized" as a change in the object's inertia (the object gains "movement"/"push" in a certain direction).

Ostensibly, doing this at a high frequency would manifest a measurable change in inertia/acceleration.

An ELI5 answer.

Take a cheap calculator and divide 1 by 9, then multiply the answer by 9. A good calculator will give 1 as the answer, but a cheap/old one will give 0.9999999... This is because the calculator has to stop writing the decimal at some point and may not realize that there are more digits after the last 1. Another example is waiting a very large number e.g. 123,456,789 as 1.23456108. This is relatively accurate for most purposes, but 123,456,789/1.23456108 is 1.000006390940902, so a slight error is introduced. If you are running a program that keeps using these slightly rounded numbers over and over again, the errors build up exponentially until they become noticeable. This drive seems to work by sending out radiation with a wavelength longer than the observable universe, which means that what would usually be heat becomes a small bit of momentum. We've apparently found a way exploit a similar effect in the real world.

Essentially the black body radiation from the microwaves has a wavelength so long it can't fit into the universe--so it can't quantize into heat, thus it quantizes into inertia. Makes you wonder about whether we're living in a simulation, no?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea ummm wut? That is probably the least natural explanation of a phenomenon I've read. Even most quantum mechanics, while odd, can be conceptualized in its own logical framework. That's like "lol proof of God rounding error derrrp".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that'd be the dumbest explanation I've heard. If it's true it'd be pretty interesting but not the "Cool let's build interstellar space ships now" result we're all hoping for.

20101109.gif

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
So they are saying all future space exploring ships will have engines based on integer division rounding errors?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yea ummm wut? That is probably the least natural explanation of a phenomenon I've read. Even most quantum mechanics, while odd, can be conceptualized in its own logical framework. That's like "lol proof of God rounding error derrrp".

Yep, it's dumb. But It's how all energy is created, really. Quantum tunneling is really dumb too, it almost sounds like some bullshit someone programed in so nuclear energy and larger atomic elements could exist while "normal" physics still functioned.

The idea that BBR could translate into intertia at random intervals if its too small for the universe to translate its energy into heat doesn't sound anymore odd to me than elements forming randomly because the exact location of a proton isn't set, and there happened to be a bunch of them really close together. In this case its inertia forming randomly because the wave couldn't fit, and it happened to be in a situation where heat was supposed to be created.

So they are saying all future space exploring ships will have engines based on integer division rounding errors?

If they are right, yes. Someone else also said what could be happening is where they are dealing with such small numbers they are pushing off the quantum "wash" of things that appear and then disappear. Either way, the engine, if it is real, seems to exploit the weird shit that happens in dimensions we can't measure.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well, once they understand the phenomenon they could presumably build much more efficient drives, hopefully. The first piston engines didn't have much horsepower either.

If they were better we probably would call it Team Of Oxen Power or something

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well, once they understand the phenomenon they could presumably build much more efficient drives, hopefully. The first piston engines didn't have much horsepower either.
Yep. Just hoping the phenomena, it it is true, is exploitable to any meaningful level.