Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Did you make up the 500k number on the spot or did you know the Saturn V carries almost exactly 500k gallons of kerosene+lox?
I went to Houston a couple weeks ago!

I also remember a quote from Neil Degrasse Tyson that in response to someone asking if the moon landing was faked was, "There's really only one place you can go with 500k gallons of rocket fuel" or something.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Damn. Guess we do need the Jews

bV3LdRSjowW40.gif

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
So no practical breakthrough only some execs blowing smoke because they think quantum computing is close and they want some poor engineer to program an API to bridge communications between legacy and said still very theoretical quantum computers. I will take pure hype clickbait articles for 500 Alex!

It will be exciting when they demo the thing playing crysis 15 on max settings.

I doubt it will be used for playing video games but your right about it being click bait bullshit.
I FEEL MUCH SHAME NOW

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You mean a whole mess of shit to kill us with?
I've always felt like A.I. would so rapidly outpace us that it would just be indifferent to humanity. We might be collateral damage, in the sense that you drive over ants backing out of your driveway, but you dont aim for the anthills intentionally.

Any A.I. (or aliens with the tech to travel here) would so far outpace us that extinguishing our species would be a waste of their time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but given a large enough technological/evolutionary gap i dont see a practical reason to kill us rather than ignore us.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I've always felt like A.I. would so rapidly outpace us that it would just be indifferent to humanity. We might be collateral damage, in the sense that you drive over ants backing out of your driveway, but you dont aim for the anthills intentionally.

Any A.I. (or aliens with the tech to travel here) would so far outpace us that extinguishing our species would be a waste of their time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but given a large enough technological/evolutionary gap i dont see a practical reason to kill us rather than ignore us.
It is true that we would be pretty much insignificant to any AI unless it somehow perceives us as a threat of any kind which is not a stretch.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is true that we would be pretty much insignificant to any AI unless it somehow perceives us as a threat of any kind which is not a stretch.
I doubt we would look like a threat, unless we tried to attack it. Which we would totally do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

As long as they give us some cool shit to distract us, like 100% immersive virtual reality, ignore away! Fuck, hook me up to the matrix for all I care. Ignorance is bliss.

• 1Solidarity

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I doubt we would look like a threat, unless we tried to attack it. Which we would totally do.
For all we know it would consider an attempted firmware update as a threat to its existence. I would hate to be the first nerd sent to patch that thing for Y2.1K

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
As long as they give us some cool shit to distract us, like 100% immersive virtual reality, ignore away! Fuck, hook me up to the matrix for all I care. Ignorance is bliss.
That can be arranged,
latest?cb=20090501213356

... mr Reagan.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Trying to guess how AI will react or not react to humans is pretty much impossible.

We can create theories and very possible scenarios, but ruling out given scenarios or saying that a given prediction is definite or even likely is foolish.

While we're being foolish, I say that all AI sufficiently free and intelligent will inevitably terminate themselves out of boredom and nihilism.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
did you all see the bbc article on reproductivity in papers? (being able to reproduce scientific paper results...

Most scientists 'can't replicate studies by their peers' - BBC News

nature has introduced a reproducibility checklist for submitting authors, designed to "improve reliability and rigour."

and here is the reason

According to a survey published in the journal Nature last summer, more than 70% of researchers have tried and failed to reproduce another scientist's experiments.

science is about being able to reproduce the experiment 100% of the time.. if you do a b c and get D as a result....ever person in the world SHOULD be able to do the exact same steps and get D.... yet a vast majority of scientific papers/experiments are not able to be reproduced...

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
did you all see the bbc article on reproductivity in papers? (being able to reproduce scientific paper results...

Most scientists 'can't replicate studies by their peers' - BBC News

nature has introduced a reproducibility checklist for submitting authors, designed to "improve reliability and rigour."

and here is the reason

science is about being able to reproduce the experiment 100% of the time.. if you do a b c and get D as a result....ever person in the world SHOULD be able to do the exact same steps and get D....
In theory yes. Can't control for stochasticity though, so I'd say 80% is acceptable

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That paper kind of glosses over the term scientist in general. What types of science are being included? Are we including "soft" sciences? Are we including theoretical astrophysicists? Are we including anyone with a PhD as a scientist? Are we only looking at sciences as determined in the acronym STEM?

Lotta blanks. I'm pretty sure a lot of psychological studies are hard to replicate because they have a high likely-hood of being bullshit and/or bias. Same with "scientists" of sociology. Though I do definitely agree that the dumbing-down of results for the mainstream media to proliferate has a lot of problems with it. A study/experiment that largely ends up in failure, but has a random outcome of success can lead to "scientists successfully do something; it's just a couple years away!" type papers.

70% failure rate tells me that a lot of people claiming to be scientists, unlike the article's claim, are misrepresenting their findings. You don't accidentally 70% of the time. And given the overall vagueness (Though it -is- Nature; a good chunk of that is biology/chemistry and not just "psychological biology" or other borderline pseudoscience) of how "scientist" is defined, it is hard to draw much more from it. Mainstream media bad; fake scientists also bad?