Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Come on guys, it's bullshit.

There's a long line of reputable laboratories that would jump at the chance to verify his device. He's using labs that are credible enough to get him another round of investors but not respectable enough to demand enough access and information to properly test his system.
This.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Plus he's been peddling the same shit for 12 years without building anything useful than a lab test structure that gives weird results when tested by people under very limited circumstances. If it was legit he'd be powering his house with it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You know guys... the fact that it glows orange is very telling. This is supposed to be COLD fusion. That shit should glow translucent! Or like a faint purple or something. Actually... what color is "cold"? Orange, blue, red and white are all "hot" colors.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Maybe firefly color? Don't they use something like cold fusion?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
100% without a doubt in my mind, if that fucking thing is the key to cold fusion I just can't imagine living in a universe where that is possible. I honestly think it would be a valid concern that if whatever the fuck is in that picture isn't something someone pulled from a toilet and is indeed the key to cold fusion, god exist and he is fucking trolling us.
This would be Hitchhiker's Guide levels of universe trolling.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
rrr_img_78732.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Grats on potential next step forward in reactor design. But I don't see how that "can change humanity forever". Is deuterium and tritium that ubiquitous that convenient reactors is the bottleneck, not the fuel?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Grats on potential next step forward in reactor design. But I don't see how that "can change humanity forever". Is deuterium and tritium that ubiquitous that convenient reactors is the bottleneck, not the fuel?
Heavy water can actually be produced by electrolysis and distillation but uses a large amount of power. One can only suspect that this amount of power is significantly less than that produced by fusion. Any chemists/engineers know about this?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's what I meant by ubiquitous. Shit's just laying around somewhere(or floating) and we have to go collect it. Fusion itself is already a net energy loss, if we have to manufacture the fuel through electrolysis, that seems even worse. You might be able to mitigate that by bringing solar into the electrolysis part.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
That's what I meant by ubiquitous. Shit's just laying around somewhere(or floating) and we have to go collect it. Fusion itself is already a net energy loss, if we have to manufacture the fuel through electrolysis, that seems even worse. You might be able to mitigate that by bringing solar into the electrolysis part.
Uhh, the point of the new reactor design is that the fusion isn't a net energy loss.

Northerner

N00b
If a fuel can be manufactured easily but requires high energy inputs then that's fantastic actually.

There are plenty of places where electricity generation is absolutely not a problem at all, it is just that they are generally not near where we want to use that energy. Geothermal, hydro, even tidal power is cheap as dirt in specific locations.

We've got lots of electrical generation capacity. What we don't have is a general-solution generation capability that can be deployed anywhere we might want it, although nuclear comes pretty close.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What we don't have is a general-solution generation capability that can be deployed anywhere we might want it, although nuclear comes pretty close.
Isn't one of the major limitations of nuclear the fact that plants must be located near a large body of water for cooling purposes? Which pretty much requires them to be located in areas extremely prone to a multitude of natural disasters?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Isn't one of the major limitations of nuclear the fact that plants must be located near a large body of water for cooling purposes? Which pretty much requires them to be located in areas extremely prone to a multitude of natural disasters?
No, there's a very large nuclear plant west of Fort Worth, 300+ miles from the ocean or any large body of water.

iannis

Musty Nester
Uhh, the point of the new reactor design is that the fusion isn't a net energy loss.
Isn't all energy production a net loss? Just that there are forms of energy that have nothing to do with us, like fossil fuels and fusion and solar and geothermal, so it'll never be a loss in our context?

But if you use 1g of fuel to gather .9g of fuel maybe that's not sustainable.

Why don't we just -give- Iran molten salt and thorium test reactors? Just give it to them and tell them if they use them we lift sanctions, which is in effect a subsidy. Literally everyone wins.

For nuke plants you have to fashion those man made cooling ponds. I think the most recent nuke plants had to have them specifically be man made and self contained... so you don't get seepage of mutant water leaking into the water cycle. But I dunno. I just know two of them, and they both had man made resevoirs.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Obviously if it takes 1g of fusion fuel to gather .9g of fusion fuel, thats literally the definition of unsustainable. That was my question, how much energy does it take to make one unit of heavy water, and how much energy do the ITER/Lockheeed reactors project to make from a unit of fuel?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
From what I can tell they have either a) come up with some bitching new compact magnets or b) refined and modified the geometry even more than a spherical tokamak to achieve a very high "beta" (ratio of plasma pressure to magnetic pressure) and thus a lower energy very compact design.

If you can easily grab deuterium and tritium then a compact fusion reactor is a win-win.

If you have to manufacture it via electrolysis then it would still be a win in terms of compact energy storage and transport. Huge solar power factory in the middle of the desert which cranks out deuterium during the day which can easily be stored and transported is a net energy loss but very useful since electricity use has to match generation in most contexts... can't be easily stored. Remember that nominal solar flux is about 1370 W / square meter at our distance from the sun. Its just a matter of how to most efficiently transfer and use that energy.

If you want a very compact energy source (for a spaceship or an airplane) then this is a good thing as well because you don't have to overstress about the fuel storage and how much room it takes up. Then again I wonder how sturdy such a reactor would be... jostling it around is probably not a great idea in terms of robust functionality.

Here's the most informative article I have seen so far :Skunk Works Reveals Compact Fusion Reactor Details | Technology content from Aviation Week

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No. Nuke plant 40 miles west of Phoenix.