Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
bought a crystal radio kit (1N34A germanium diode) and I don't think I have any ground in my apartment.. not messing with the wall outlets haha. the kit also didn't come with an antenna.

Run that shit straight into your circuit breaker!

It's like the plot of an 80's movie. And it could happen TO YOU.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think I am functionally retarded, but I have no fucking clue what this is. (I kinda do, but it is in the realm of WTF . . . kind of like that spaceflight forum where they were debating the merits of the EM drive, its just beyond my education).

Hoping someone can explain this so my brain can handle it. Lol

The Quest to Crystallize Time

Its Lent, I am burned the fuck out from work etc, but best I can tell its like a chain that oscillates at a given frequency no matter the input, randomly changes, and never runs out of energy?

From my limited understanding there's a bit of context involved. The crystals form in high energy fields. It takes magnetism.

So while it's true their rest state is energetic it is because of the environmental factors which allow them to exist. There's no zero point weirdness going on, it's a function of matter (probably geometry -- it always seems to be geometry) that exists in highly energetic magnetic fields. And, apparently, ONLY in those fields.

If you took one of these things out of the field it would unwind. It's like how plasma doesn't exist without pressure. It's a spinning top inside a tornado. They may be useful somehow, I have no idea. And they're weird enough -- but they're not so weird as the FOTM science reporting want them to be. But yeah, they're weird, and observing them might teach us something about HOW FUCKING MAGNETS WORK.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Lendarios is fucking illiterate. There aren't many people walking at Amazon warehouses AT ALL these days. That was the point: the few humans left are the ones at the last segment of the fulfillment stack... and Amazon has been running DARPA-style competitions to replace THOSE jobs with these:

That competition is very interesting by itself. The robots are given only a simple JSON file to compare RFID UIDs with product SKU's and they have to use telemetry and computer vision to accomplish the tasks. The team whose robot fulfills the most orders with the least errors is the winner. Apparently all the finalists performed faster than average humans.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lendarios is fucking illiterate. There aren't many people walking at Amazon warehouses AT ALL these days. That was the point: the few humans left are the ones at the last segment of the fulfillment stack... and Amazon has been running DARPA-style competitions to replace THOSE jobs with these:

That competition is very interesting by itself. The robots are given only a simple JSON file to compare RFID UIDs with product SKU's and they have to use telemetry and computer vision to accomplish the tasks. The team whose robot fulfills the most orders with the least errors is the winner. Apparently all the finalists performed faster than average humans.
Did they perform faster than trained humans?

Trained humans can get pretty ridiculous compared to untrained ones.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also, I've never worked in a shipping company but everyone I know who has says it's one of the more manual labor intensive jobs because of the intense time requirements, distance walked and weight of the packages.

And that's doubly true if you're working in any kind of freezer environment where you frequently switch from working hard in 100 degree conditions to 0 degree conditions.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Did they perform faster than trained humans?

Trained humans can get pretty ridiculous compared to untrained ones.

No idea, sounds like they just baked average human worker time into the competition criteria tho. I've worked in logistics and risk intelligence in the last decade and the shit Amazon does is like a generation ahead of everyone else.

And remember, Zappos.com and others used Kiva Robots even BEFORE Amazon bought them.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Amazon Chattanooga distribution center employs over 2000 full-time employees
Amazon plant tops 2,000 full-timers in Chattanooga

they still use a lot of manual labor. I don't even know what are you arguing for. I am for robotization of the workforce.

• 2Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amazon still has quite a bit of walking pickers. That robot in the challenge is extremely slow compared to a experienced picker and also creates more damage. Also requires a fuck ton more space.

I dunno even what the fuck we are arguing anymore. I agree with automation but it isn't at the extreme that people are acting with because they watch a few fucking videos and read some articles. Those pickers who work in Amazon warehouses don't have oppressive jobs. You are expected to do your job and do it correctly. I was hired to take a look at the time standard and there is nothing unfair about it.

I've worked in this industry since i was 16 and IMO their is no better place to have a job then at Amazon for this type of work. The pace of change is rapid and for me personally seeing your work place constantly change with new technology who's purpose is to make your job easier is fantastic. Working in a food warehouse fucking sucks in comparison.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I don't even know what are you arguing for. I am for robotization of the workforce.
Hell if I know, I posted a BD robotics video and you mouthed off about butthurt Amazon workers when in fact Amazon has been eliminating those positions over the last few years. I already said they still have pickers that they're just now requesting proposals and running competitions for.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
How is this post a butthurt
"Amazon can replace most of their warehouse employees with this guy, just fetching stuff for your cart.

Right now they use humans and they count their steps to make sure they don't slack. It is a bit inhumane.

I can see a very automated warehouse fulfillment center coming in the near future."

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
A little bit of science, a little bit of astronomy.

'Going deep' to measure Earth's rotational effects

A group from the Italian National Institute for Nuclear Physics' (INFN) Laboratori Nazionali del Gran Sasso (LNGS) are working with a research program aimed at measuring the gyroscopic precession Earth undergoes due to a relativistic effect called the Lense-Thirring effect.

Ultimately, GINGER aims to measure Earth's rotation rate vector with a relative accuracy of better than one part per billion to see the miniscule Lense-Thirring effects.

"This effect is detectable as a small difference between the Earth's rotation rate value measured by a ground based observatory, and the value measured in an inertial reference frame," said Jacopo Belfi, lead author and a researcher working for the Pisa section of INFN. "This small difference is generated by the Earth's mass and angular momentum and has been foreseen by Einstein's general theory of relativity. From the experimental point of view, one needs to measure the Earth rotation rate vector with a relative accuracy better than one part per billion, corresponding to an absolute rotation rate resolution of 10-14 [radians per second]."

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Even though this is Space Time, it's their second journal club and it has to do with the time crystals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I meant to post the PBS space time video yesterday. Glad someone else got it up.

Best youtube channel by far.

iannis

Musty Nester
I really don't like his diction.

It's such a bitch complaint. I know it is. But the way that the guy talks sort of irritates me.

I still watch him sometimes.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
This graph explains itself if you're willing to look at it for a few minutes. Really neat observation. This mostly relates to biology and botany for me but I could see it being useful in a lot of ways. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Edit* Meh, the png is crappy, here's a link to the direct image with a better background. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Lifezones_Pengo,_IRI.svg/988px-Lifezones_Pengo,_IRI.svg.png

988px-Lifezones_Pengo%2C_IRI.svg.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
How's that some new observation? Anyone who plays dwarf fortress already has a more complex understanding of biomes than that simple garbage.

Elminage

N00b
REEEEEEEE, keep that Star Trek outer space shit in the Astronomy thread. This thread is about reality: magnets, electricity, robots.