Scott Weiland dead

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That sucks

STP was my first real concert. Summer 94, was 16 had my first job(4.25 an hour, aww yea) and could buy my own tickets, had my license and could drive all my friends there without needing our parents to drop us off our anything. First time I really felt grown up.

Was a great show

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I used to be able to play Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart on the guitarbox
frown.png

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw STP one time in concert. It was later in the 2000's during one of the re-union tours. Weiland was a rock star in every sense of the word. He looked the part, was supremely talented, and his performance was so on-point that it made you wonder if he was lip-syncing. I still don't know, but I came away from the performance impressed.

He was completely disconnected from the audience though. It was clearly all business, just another gig. Zero acknowledgement that the crowd was even present. Never went off script. It seemed like he had already given up long ago and was just riding the roller-coaster till it flew off the rails.

STP, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam. The end of an era.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
There ain't no song better for driving at night than Big Easy imo. Such a chill song to drive around to.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have mentioned before I worked a lot of Concert Security while in college 1994-1998. There is not a big act that came through Seattle in that time that I did not see/work at. On more than one occasion I worked while Scott played, one time I was on stage just to the side because there were stairs to the stage from the crowd (dumb) at that venue. The other time I was below the stage behind the barricade for the Mosh Pit...yes, there were Mosh Pits at almost every concert in Seattle in the 1990s. I recall there being a Mosh Pit at Alanis Morissette and me and my co-workers looked at each like WTF?

Anyway, not like I knew the dude but I did love his music and I stood 15-20 feet from him for 2 hours a few times :p

RIP

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
last time I heard about him, it was because of this:http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_k3iqw3vl
I hate tmz, but it looks like any other source of that video has been taken down

also, Tiny Music came out when I was a senior in college, and I'll always consider it part of the soundtrack to that time of my life. RIP, Weiland
frown.png

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Update on this, cause of death at this time is cardiac arrest, probably related to crack cocaine use, according to TMZ.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Saw em in 95 too in Dallas. Great concert although it was weird because I saw Ted Nugent and Bad Company right before them.

RIP

Kurt
Scott
Layne

My youth is fading away.

Great voice.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Saw them on their short-lived reunion tour a few years ago, and a couple times with VR. I always thought of the STP albums as great road music.

I'd hate to run down the list and see how many people I saw in concert over the last 25 years are dead now. My first show was Aerosmith/Skid Row on the Pump tour and Stephen Tyler was still doing back flips on stage. Now he looks like the goddamn crypt keeper.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm

One of my favorite 90's bands.
One of the first songs that came to my mind too. Poor taste but, yeah.. they play that song a lot on the radio here in the Seattle area and I'd just heard it like a day or two ago. They're from Cali, but they're like an honorary grunge band. Just loved their shit.

I listened to their first few albums endlessly in high school, but didn't buy the fourth album until one summer in college. That summer, I was supposed to be taking a couple classes. But Kunark had just released, so I spent a crapload of time listening to that album while playing eq. I have a number of specific albums / songs that instantly bring EQ to mind because I listened to it so much at that time, and it was one of them.

One of my favorite of their lesser-played tunes is the No Memory / Sin Combo off the first album. Doesn't sound that great on this live recording from way back, but it's an amazing section of that album. Saw them play it live in San Diego in around 08 or 09 and got so pumped cause I wouldn't have expected them to play it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
One of my favorite of their lesser-played tunes is the No Memory / Sin Combo off the first album. Doesn't sound that great on this live recording from way back, but it's an amazing section of that album. Saw them play it live in San Diego in around 08 or 09 and got so pumped cause I wouldn't have expected them to play it.

Yeah, those two tracks are killer. Really everything from the first two albums is at least good. The followups weren't as good but there were a few choice tracks here and there. Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart being one. The guitar solo in that song is rad.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i used to date a girl who was lead singer of an all chick STP/grunge cover band. whenever i hear STP i always thought of her, she died a while back.
frown.png

RIP Scott, you got me laid.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
RIP. Dude made drug use sound poetic.

"The opiate took me to where I'd always dreamed of going. I can't name the place, but I can say that I was undisturbed and unafraid, a free-floating man in a space without demons and doubts."

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Had forgotten that that Plush recording came from Headbanger's Ball. I like that version a lot more than the one from their "Unplugged" session - they dropped the tuning down a step for this one and it seems to fit better for acoustic, more mellow, maybe allows Weiland to nail the song a little easier. He really sounds great in that performance.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think the version from headbanger's ball is the one I hear on my local station most often.

I'm getting seriously highschool flashbacks listening to STP today.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interstate Love Song is one of my favorite guitar songs to play. Awesome road tripping song my friends and I would blast with the top down. Memories man, rip Scott.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Saw STP back at the 1999 or 2000 HFStival when I was in high school. By that time I was getting away from mainstream rock and into punk, but they blew me away. Scott seemed like he was fucked out of his mind, but he put on one of the best shows I've ever seen and I've been to a lot of shows. I still remember him screaming into a megaphone held over the microphone and twirling around like a maniac. He had this undeniable charisma and energy. RIP.