Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Serious question: is AMC one of those "fringe" channels that wouldn't be profitable if it wasn't bundled? Feel free to exclude the walking dead in your made up calculations because fuck that show.
I think it was. They were basically a cable movie channel for years before whatever the first big show was... Mad Men or maybe something before that even.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Comcast is going to let subscribers stream live tv over wifi and you don't have to be at your home to do it. 35 channels to start.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Last I heard it's the cable companies who are blocking a-la-carte and not the actual content providers. Isn't Viacom currently in some lawsuit with Time Warner or something because Viacom wants to let subscribers pick and choose channels and TW won't let them?

Could be totally wrong about this but on phone and don't want to look it up.
The other way around actually, Viacom/Disney/etc and the like tell TWC/Comcast "If you want this channel that everybody watches you have to get this bundle with all these 30 other channels that anybody hardly watches" So if you want ESPN you also need to get Disney Channel XD 2 In espaniol because Disney owns ESPN and want to bundle as many channels as possible.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm curious has anyone triedWatch Live TV Online | Aereoat all? Our only option for cable in my area is Charter and as of December our 12 month promotional deal is up and our cost will go from $75 to $125. I'm thinking of dropping the TV and just keeping the internet and using Chromecast for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and possibly Aereo (not supported through Chromecast just yet I don't think). We'd be saving ourselves about $60/month

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Fuck that. Time Warner is the only option where I live if I don't want DSL or sattelite. I'd sign up with just about any company that came here offering service equivalent to cable at a reasonable price.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm moving and fios is available... i've moved twice and had comcast(xfinity/twc) for 12 years. i also had the option of sticking with comcast/optimum but i actually pay more for comcast since i don't watch tv (it's all hulu/netflix) but i still have to pay for $22 basic service to get internet comcast.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Wish I had never came into this thread. I'm obviously taking 2 dicks in one hole compared to the speeds/prices you guys are getting.
frown.png

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm moving to San Antonio later this year, and I've looked up some providers, and I've heard Time Warner, Comcast (maybe), AT&T U-Verse (wtf is this?), or Grande internet?

Really? An ISP called Grande? Guess it's not any better than Cox.. which is what I have now.

$79/month for 150/30

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
79 a month for 150/30 is a hell of a deal if you actually get those speeds, and they don't have a monthly GB cap. I pay $65 for 50/5 from Time Warner, but they do deliver on that, I'm usually closer to 60/5 on speed tests, and they have zero limits on monthly downloading, no nasty letters for downloading 500GB in a month or anything of the sort.(I've heard stories of Comcast getting pissy if you go over 300GB several months in a row, even though they have no hard, set limit)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
79 a month for 150/30 is a hell of a deal if you actually get those speeds, and they don't have a monthly GB cap. I pay $65 for 50/5 from Time Warner, but they do deliver on that, I'm usually closer to 60/5 on speed tests, and they have zero limits on monthly downloading, no nasty letters for downloading 500GB in a month or anything of the sort.(I've heard stories of Comcast getting pissy if you go over 300GB several months in a row, even though they have no hard, set limit)
I should admit, I got them to give me 20% off, so Cox's Ultimate plan, 150/30 is normally $99 per month.

So far, on downloads it's getting up to 110-130 down. So it's not far off, but that's ok. I mainly did it for the extra download cap. Upgrading from 50/5 let me go from 250gb per month to 400gb per month.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Did Google ever connect anyone to fiber? Seems like I haven't heard anything about it in like a year.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Did Google ever connect anyone to fiber? Seems like I haven't heard anything about it in like a year.
It's going very, VERY slowly here in Kansas City. They still haven't even completed connections for the original announced small area of KC from a couple years back. They've since made announcements of expanding to multiple suburbs of KC, but are nowhere close even starting on connections to them.

At the rate they are going, it going to take roughly a decade to complete the roll out just here in KC. KC has a metro population of about 2.5 million people, and I would guess that as of now, roughly 2 years into the process, that maybe 100-200K people have access to Google Fiber, maybe. They are definitely still in the single-digit range as far as percent of city coverage.