Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Returned our old cable stuff to the Comcast office today and brought up the fact we were getting modem rental charges and the guy was like, 'oh it says here you own your own, and it looks like we've been charging you for over a year. Here you go 13 months of credit.' Nice when there's no hassle.

Also the whole place was devoid of Comcast branding, it is all X1 all the time. Between them dropping our bill from $230 to $150, giving us money back for the modem rental, and increasing net speed from 30 to 70 mbps, it is almost like they're trying.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If one of these companies would just be fair, they'd probably put the rest out of business! I think they will be forced to become more reasonable as people rely more on the internet for content. Can only be greedy for so long before people start inventing alternatives. Just look at the oil prices!

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
So some questions for you fellas that are probably better at this than me:

I just got Uverse gigapower installed at the house last week. My PCs and laptops are connecting to the service just fine and showing 1gb connections both when wired and with wireless. I don't care so much about the wireless but despite playing around with AT&T's router and my own equipment I just simply cannot seem to get more than ~450mb speeds despite being provisioned for the full 1gb. I've got fiber directly to the house (none of that just to the curb crap), AT&T techs have come out and actually shown me where their connections are good and showing a full 1gb full duplex connection to the house no problem. One of the last techs to come out actually re-did some of the wiring the first tech did because it appeared he had done it backwards (shocker) but that didn't appear to help.

I'm wondering what else I could be missing here at the house that I could do differently before I go all nazi on the company again to see what's up with my speeds. The select few neighbors that also ordered the service (albeit they just got internet instead of internet + TV) are getting 900mb+ (one of which is directly across the street from me). And yeah I'm testing speeds without the TV going and without the feeds even connected for those TVs so there's no way that the video is hogging part of the bandwidth.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about networking and tech in general but this one is baffling me and I am not sure if I'm truly overlooking something or if it really is something on AT&T's network/provisioning side preventing me from getting the speeds I'm paying for.

This is all #firstworldproblems of course because no one is really going to notice that much of a difference between 450mb and 800-900mb but whatever, I want it fixed!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You do know the difference in a bit (b) and a byte (B), correct? bit =1 and byte =8.

ISP's will sell your service in bits per second (in your case Gb/s) and your computer downloads will typically report in bytes per second (MB/s).

If you had a true 1Gb/s connection, your max download speed would be reported as ~125MB/s.

This is commonly overlooked.

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
I'm definitely using cat5e and I just ordered some new cat6 cable the end of last week that I was going to test just for shits and giggles. I don't expect it will make a difference as it really shouldn't. The cat5e I have is older though so I figured I'd give that a shot just to try and narrow down the issue and know that component wasn't the bottleneck. It was also cheap to buy and test.

Every NIC, wireless adapter, or LAN port used is 1Gb capable and I don't know of any reason they wouldn't be able to run at that speed. I even played around to force all the network adapters to be in 1Gb mode instead of auto just to see if it made a difference and no dice.

And I do in fact understand the difference between Gb and GB or Mb vs MB. I just got lazy in my post. It's worth mentioning that though because I talk to folks all the time that get it mixed up so thanks!

I work in telecom just not on the installation/network side of things so I guess I feel like I'm smart enough to have covered everything (but something easy could always be overlooked). Perhaps I'm just hoping someone can tell me I'm not off my rocker here and I really should be complaining to the ISP.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm definitely using cat5e and I just ordered some new cat6 cable the end of last week that I was going to test just for shits and giggles. I don't expect it will make a difference as it really shouldn't. The cat5e I have is older though so I figured I'd give that a shot just to try and narrow down the issue and know that component wasn't the bottleneck. It was also cheap to buy and test.

Every NIC, wireless adapter, or LAN port used is 1Gb capable and I don't know of any reason they wouldn't be able to run at that speed. I even played around to force all the network adapters to be in 1Gb mode instead of auto just to see if it made a difference and no dice.

And I do in fact understand the difference between Gb and GB or Mb vs MB. I just got lazy in my post. It's worth mentioning that though because I talk to folks all the time that get it mixed up so thanks!

I work in telecom just not on the installation/network side of things so I guess I feel like I'm smart enough to have covered everything (but something easy could always be overlooked). Perhaps I'm just hoping someone can tell me I'm not off my rocker here and I really should be complaining to the ISP.
Are you certain your modem is able to handle 1Gb? I know that all but a very few modems currently top out from 450Mb to 650Mb. I think it has to be DOCSIS 3.1 and support 32 channels to do full Gb. 24 channels will only get to 912Mb.

*EDIT* Just looked. All DOCSIS 3.1 modems support gigabit, but only 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0 modems support it fully.

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
Are you certain your modem is able to handle 1Gb? I know that all but a very few modems currently top out from 450Mb to 650Mb. I think it has to be DOCSIS 3.1 and support 32 channels to do full Gb. 24 channels will only get to 912Mb.

*EDIT* Just looked. All DOCSIS 3.1 modems support gigabit, but only 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0 modems support it fully.
Yeah I'm (at the moment at least) just using the AT&T provided router/modem which is the same device that my neighbors are using yet their speeds are @ 900Mb+ and mine just consistently hovers at around ~400Mbish.

I got the new cat6 cable in and as expected it didn't make any sort of difference. I guess I'm going to just have to keep contacting AT&T and talking to folks until someone can help me. I'm sort of at a loss.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Do you have access to your modem? Like with my Surfboard I can go directly to the IP, log in, and see all the raw signal data. Something like this screenshot. DSL Reports or Speedtest or some other broadband sites (or your neighbor) may have whatever values you should expect to see and is at least another point of data.

Not saying it'll fix it, and there are other things. But there are a lot of things to compare that could be configured.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Lol Time Warner is such a crock of shit

I posted here a while back that I was purchasing a Cable Modem for my mother since TW started charging $10 a month for their modem rental fee.

I ordered a nice Motorola/Arris modem that is certified up to 160mbps, since my mother only had 50mbps service. The modem was even listed on Time Warners website as a compatible model.

We get it, set it up, and then call Time Warner to activate it... NOPE, they can't activate it because it doesn't support up to 300mbps service, even though she only has 50mbps service.

Apparently my mothers 50mbps service is part of their "extreme" speed tier of service, which includes 50mbps, 100mbps, and 300mbps service levels. And if you have ANY of those subscriptions, your modem has to support all of them. So now we have to shell out an extra $25 or so for a modem that supports up to 300mbps even though she'll never, ever have that tier of service. There's no technological reason the modem we purchased wouldn't work, Time Warner just refuses to activate it since it doesn't support the full 300mbps.

I know exactly what they are doing, they want to be able to pull the "free" speed upgrade shenanigans where they upgrade you automatically to the next tier for the same price that you're paying now...until the rate mysteriously raises 6 or 12 months later.

Time Warner, you suck ass.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Anyone ever had Cable One? Horror stories?

I had Cable One internet for over 10 years and never had a single issue they didn't quickly fix. Like I was getting a slow connection (still worked, just not as high as expected) and the guy came out and replaced lines and some transfer box or some shit the same day to fix it. I never had negative experiences with their customer service. One time I called and simply said I'd been a customer a long time and felt my internet subscription was a bit too costly and that I felt 10 dollars less was more fair and they simply lowered it. I paid that rate for a few years until I moved out of their service range. In fact, I don't remember the price every mysteriously raising on me unless I chose to upgrade my tier. I had 2 or 3 places they had to come out and install stuff, including drilling and shit; never knew companies would actually charge for that until fucking Comcast and Charter tried that bullshit. Comcast waived the fees when I complained, but Charter refusing to hook up my internet without charging an activation fee where the guy came out and admitted he didn't have to do a thing as the lines were all already turn on and he just had to call in to activate them, but he did turn on all my outlets despite having strict policies against it that he also said he disagreed with so always did anyhow (he really didn't seem to like working for Charter, but was hella nice instead of a dick about it).

Was just curious if others have experience similarly, because I never had horror stories until I was not longer able to get service through Cable One.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Have noticed a trend lately. I try to stream something like the NBA on TNT and my internet connection slowly turns to shit. Like 3mbps download. I stop streaming, reset shit, and it's back to 60. Start streaming and it gets suddenly slow again. Pretty sneaky of them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I think I'm actually going to be forced to move by Comcast this year. The last month or so my connection has gone to literal shit, like 1-3mbps download speeds, 30% packetloss constantly, etc. I work primarily from home and can't stay connected to an rdp/ssh session worth a shit anymore. Comcast has run every remote test on my lines/modem like 10 times over, I've bought a new modem, they sent a guy out to "inspect" the lines etc, and they say there's nothing they can do, it's just "congestion" at this point.

My lease is up in June, and looking for new places to live based solely on whether I can get RCN cable in that neighborhood is pretty fucked if you ask me.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
After seeing Archer season 7 (apparently) listed on Hulu I subbed (well 7 day free trial).

Logged in noticed you can't actually watch season 7 and everything else seemed to be identical or worse than Amazon/Netflix. Canceled that shit quickly.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After seeing Archer season 7 (apparently) listed on Hulu I subbed (well 7 day free trial).

Logged in noticed you can't actually watch season 7 and everything else seemed to be identical or worse than Amazon/Netflix. Canceled that shit quickly.
There is a lot of similar content, that's for sure. I think it has a lot to do with the Amazon phenomenon that I've heard talked about before. Save all your payment information, and simply for convenience sake, you'll order from Amazon. Same idea for streaming. People are gonna just go with whichever one they have setup with their favorite shows, etc, and go with that one a majority of the time. My house has Plex, but still have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. We use 80% Plex, the rest maybe Netflix, and rarely Hulu for some kid shows.