Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Cox did this last year in the Phoenix area because of their gig Internet being installed. Was pretty damn sweet!
What 1G internet, I don't have 1G as an option.

Unless you mean CenturyLink which apparently only serves it to 9 homes in the valley.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What 1G internet, I don't have 1G as an option.

Unless you mean CenturyLink which apparently only serves it to 9 homes in the valley.
Cox has gig Internet in certain parts of the valley. No idea if it's anything more than new housing builds or not but it's installed at least somewhere. Maybe it's like CenturyLink and like 2 people have it?

I was just mentioning what I had been told as to why they increased the caps.

And for reference:https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/gigablast.html

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
AT&T Begins Capping Broadband Users Today | DSLReports, ISP Information

AT&T says customers on U-Verse tiers with speeds between 768 Kbps and 6 Mbps will now face a 300 GB cap; customers on U-Verse tiers of speeds between 12 Mbps and 75Mbps will see a 600 GB cap; and customers on speeds between 100 Mbps and 1 Gbps will see a cap of 1 terabyte.

Users who exceed these caps in any given month will automatically have to pay for 50 GB of additional data for $10 each.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well, when there is almost no competition and you collude with what little there is you can pretty much do whatever the fuck you want.

Internet is pretty much a necessity in today's society, and you are lucky if you have two options. And when they are both doing the exact same shady shit?

Fadaar

That guy
At least Comcast is going up to 1 TB cap on June 1st. It's still a cap which is bullshit but since I live by myself there's pretty much zero chance of me ever going over that amount unless I went completely batshit with torrents.

But yeah, AT&T is completely copying Comcast's setup almost exactly. What a time to be alive. The day the government steps in and forbids caps and throttling of any kind, ESPECIALLY when it comes to ISP's purposely throttling streaming services, will be a great day. Too bad it'll never happen with the way our crooked ass system works.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Google Fiber signups start tomorrow for my neighborhood. Im as excited as a 10 year old on Christmas eve (even though it'll be months until install)
Posted that on March 9,2015

Was finally notified yesterday that I can schedule my in-home install appointment, all of the lines connecting my house are finally complete. Will be installed next week. Christ, that took forever, but at least the sweet, sweet end is in sight

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The say I can combine my Google Fi account to my home account is going to be amazing. It'll be years though if ever.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know if Charter is worse than TWC? In terms of data caps, poor service, etc? I knew the Charter - TWC merge was in the works but I thought the FCC was going to block it...guess not!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My experience with TWC has been pretty good. Service has been reliable, when it did go down they gave me a credit, and when I had a local wiring issue they had someone out within 24 hrs.

AT&T on the other hand is a criminal organization. I'm sure some lawyer would redefine them simply as grossly negligent, but there's a point where incompetence reaches such ridiculous levels it has to be criminal. We spend $30,000 a month with AT&T at work and it's just as bad, if not worse than their consumer customer service. I've spent years in endless back and forth trying to get refunds for erroneous charges, and even when they do admit they are in the wrong, it takes months to get your money back. If you have an outage, expect to spend four hours before you can even reach someone to fix it. If I ever go suicide bomber, AT&T is my first stop.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone know if Charter is worse than TWC? In terms of data caps, poor service, etc? I knew the Charter - TWC merge was in the works but I thought the FCC was going to block it...guess not!
We have Charter and there are no caps and the service is generally very good. I have no complaints.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I have charter and they don't have data caps and my service has been pretty good overall. As part of the deal, Charter had to agree to no data caps for at least 3 years. Since TWC was bigger, its possible that their corporate culture will take over Charter but that remains to be seen I guess.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Charter has been solid, good download, good customer support. They've spammed us with 'upgrade' offers more than any other company I've had which gets annoying. The only real, non-annoyed complaint I have is that the upload on internet is shit at about 4Mbps and doesn't feel stable at that. Trying to Gamestream on my Nvidia Shield from either family members house only a few miles away both using Charter isn't reliable due the the shit upload. Whereas when I lived 3 hours away I could Gamestream just fine when I was down here visiting because the upload on my home Comcast was fast enough to handle it. A very specific issue, but pisses me off that I can't reliably stream while 'visiting' family nor on my lunch hour at work.

Oh, and the fuckers refused to wave the installation fee despite even the tech coming out and admitting the lines were already all ready to go and that all he did was call back to the office to have them turned on. He was nice about it and at least made sure all 3 cable jacks in my apartment were active so I could move my modem if I wanted because he said he also felt it was bullshit they try to make people pick one and then pay extra later to turn on a different one.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Cool, thanks. I was mainly worried about having to deal with caps.
One of the conditions of the buyout is that Charter/TWC (which according to the letter I got will call itself Spectrum) is that it's forbidden from imposing caps for the next 7 years.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Reporting back, have had Google Fiber since Sunday

5389871519.png

I think I'll keep it. Not getting 1000, but it consistently speed tests from like 500-800ish

Awesome side note, they just upgraded all of their TV boxes to include Google Cast technology...basically each of the TV boxes in your home act as a Google Chromecast...I can just cast straight to the TV box, no changing inputs on the TV to the chromecast. When I hit the "cast" button on my laptop or mobile device, all the TVs in my home pop up on the list to cast to. Pretty damn sweet.