Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just got an email from Comcast highlighting the amazing new Terabyte Internet Experience.

...and by that, they mean they are enforcing caps now. It's $10 for 50GB or we can pay an extra $50/month for unlimited data. I'm not at the cap, but it still bothers me that they are doing this. I really wish competition existed.
There is, move to a new state.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I'm in the extreme southern suburbs and I doubt I'll get to enjoy Google Fiber. =/

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm in the extreme southern suburbs and I doubt I'll get to enjoy Google Fiber. =/

It'll get to you...but it will probably take 5 years

I'm in the extreme southern suburbs of KC(obviously not as big as chicago) and it eventually got to me, just took about 4 years from the initial city announcement. They move SLOW.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Reverses FCC Rule Allowing Public Broadband Expansion

I hope the FCC appeals this decision, more competition in the marketplace is a win for consumers. The anti-competitive legislation that restricts municipal broadband is a huge win for big teleco's.

I hope so. We need some damn competition. I'm 6 hours in to a TWC outage with no ETA for restoration. I would jump ship in a heartbeat if the next best option wasn't shitty Verizon DSL.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It'll get to you...but it will probably take 5 years

I'm in the extreme southern suburbs of KC(obviously not as big as chicago) and it eventually got to me, just took about 4 years from the initial city announcement. They move SLOW.
I mean, I get they have to lay all their own fiber lines right? is that why it's so slow? I feel like if Google wanted too, they could easily speed this shit up and have a whole city done in a year? Or is this like getting piece meal amounts of budget money every fiscal year, and they stretch shit out until they get more money, and in reality Google doesn't care about Fiber?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I mean, I get they have to lay all their own fiber lines right? is that why it's so slow? I feel like if Google wanted too, they could easily speed this shit up and have a whole city done in a year? Or is this like getting piece meal amounts of budget money every fiscal year, and they stretch shit out until they get more money, and in reality Google doesn't care about Fiber?

I don't think Google really cares about fiber, inasmuch as they cared about showing the telco's it could be done cost effectively. I've read several articles where Google is considering millimeter wave technology to cover the last mile. I would love to have Google fiber in my town but I doubt that will ever happen.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, eventually tech is going to get to the point where Google doesn't even have to fuck with telephone/cable companies. It's only a matter of time.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Looks like Telus is finally getting fiber in to the industrial area my office is in. We've been on just barely working DSL for a long time, as there's no cable in the area. Prior to DSL, we were on wireless, which was awful, although I'm sure it's better these days. Our connection currently is 15 mbit down, 1 mbit up for an office of 8-10 people. Mostly it's a pain in the cunt when uploading big files to Dropbox for distribution to sub-trades etc. One large drawing package will take the better part of a work day to upload, and it brings everything else to a halt. And we're paying about $85/month for that.

Just got off the phone with Telus, and the fiber package they're offering is 150/150 mbit, for $125 a month. Fuck yeah.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I don't know where to place this so its going in both cord cutter and service provider thread...

I've had PS Vue for a month now ($39.99 package) and I have to say I like the service. The menus are great on the PS4 although they lag on the PS3. I haven't tried it on anything else. It has all the kid channels I was looking for at the lowest price. The Disney owned channels are wonky at times but this is a know issue not just with PS Vue. Its streaming so every once in a while you get hiccups but nothing to serious yet.

Latest updates with the service
1. PS Vue just added HBO and Skinemax. PS Vue: HBO, Cinemax, New Ultra Plan Arrive Today $15 each and works with HBO Now.
2. A few months ago they added the NFL Network and the NFL Redzone.

I haven't tried either service.

Fadaar

That guy
This is some horseshit. I'm in Savannah (actually west of I-95 but close enough for a reference) and yeah the storm hit us pretty hard, but my power only flickered maybe once. Only reason I even know that happened is because my PC rebooted Fri night/Sat morning while I was asleep and had to reset the clocks on my stove and microwave. Anyway, ever since I woke up yesterday my internet has been out. Comcast. How the fuck is that even possible for an area that didn't even lose power, let alone for two full days? Still not back up, was supposed to be fixed by 10 PM and nothing yet.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is some horseshit. I'm in Savannah (actually west of I-95 but close enough for a reference) and yeah the storm hit us pretty hard, but my power only flickered maybe once. Only reason I even know that happened is because my PC rebooted Fri night/Sat morning while I was asleep and had to reset the clocks on my stove and microwave. Anyway, ever since I woke up yesterday my internet has been out. Comcast. How the fuck is that even possible for an area that didn't even lose power, let alone for two full days? Still not back up, was supposed to be fixed by 10 PM and nothing yet.

It's because Comcast customer service is horse shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I had Comcast for a few years. Seems like every time we got a significant amount of rain my service would go to shit for a day, either crazy slow, on completely out. I don't know if it was an issue with moisture getting into their main box, or underground lines, or what, but it sucked. Glad I don't deal with them anymore. So far, my Google Fiber has weathered many thunderstorms and multiple inches of rain just fine (and it's all buried in the ground to the house)