Shōgun

Cybsled

All I remember from the original mini series is the ninjas attacking, probably because as a kid all that interested me in the show was ninjas lol

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I just caught up on the last three episodes after not finishing episode 6. No episode has ever really held my attention fully.

Which side is the guy on who let the ninja into the castle? Or is his loyalty based on whichever side can offer him the most?

Bald Brah

Golden Squire
Apparently it was set up by Toronaga specifically to kill Mariko so that she could 'do her duty' to him like they talked about. He is using her as a martyr to turn the empress against Ishido.

Cybsled

Toronaga's plan with Mariko was all the stuff pre-ninja attack. He had basically put them in checkmate

1) Mariko isn't allowed to leave, she kills herself and Ishido loses support from Lady Ochiba and other lords in Osaka
2) Mariko is allowed to leave because she is not a prisoner, so other hostages request to leave as well, causing Ishido to lose support from other lords in Osaka (because their family arent hostage anymore)

The ninja plan was the only avenue Ishido had left: Kidnap Mariko and then potentially lay the blame on someone else. They just needed to keep Mariko alive until Toronaga was executed. Yabu was approached by one of Ishido's men earlier in the episode and told that Yabu could escape his fate and serve Ishido, but there would be a price. The price was letting the ninjas into the compound so they could execute their plan.

Mariko figured out what was happening during the attack and took the only step she could to invalidate Ishido's plan, ensuring that Toronaga's plan would succeed.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Great show and I enjoyed. But god, I fucking hate subtitles. Makes you have to be 100% invested in reading every line or else you miss shit.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Great show and I enjoyed. But god, I fucking hate subtitles. Makes you have to be 100% invested in reading every line or else you miss shit.
Yeah I've been watching this show and Tokyo Vice at the same time and I can't watch either if I'm even a little sleepy or I wind up looking away from the screen and missing something that someone said. Forget trying to watch either show with your phone in your hand, but that's actually a good thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
just started reading the shogun books, pretty easy read i just started late last week and already finished book 1, 2 books are the first season. Crazy how book 1 ends at basically episode 3, the showrunners really did an amazing job adapting it. after the show ends im gonna watch the 1980s mini series, i know my parents watched it and me and my younger siblings would sneak down and try to peek in and get chased out lol
Shogun's 2 books make up the entire season of the show. The following books of the series are about different parts of Asia.
There's 6 books total (Shogun was just 1 that they later split up), and Shogun was the 3rd in the series.
The first book was King Rat, which he wrote about himself being a POW.
Tai-Pan was the 2nd book, and it's about Hong-Kong after an earlier opium war, and it's what started American and European traders trying to open trade routes with China.
You've seen the 3rd book. 4th is called Nobel House, which is about more of China, and how it's an active area for CIA, KGB & Peoples Republic of China.
5th book is called Whirlwind, and it's a book about 3-weeks in Tehran in 1979. Then the final book is called Gai-Jin, set in 1862 Japan. It's kind of a sequel to Shogun, almost 300 years later. It's about how various Shogun (rulers) have lost their power, and multiple factions are trying to restore the Emperor.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tremendous show.

I think it was the best series I've seen since early Game of Thrones seasons. The acting, writing, and setting were all A+. The only way it would have been better is if we got more large-battle action scenes, but I didn't think the narrative suffered without them. The way the ended it, I suppose the show could continue or be one & done.

Highly recommend this to anyone that hasn't given it a watch yet.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kementari

Trakanon Raider
Agree with Fight. The book is even better. Much better/faithful adaption of the source material than the piece of shit Dune movies.

Last edited:
  • 1Mic Drop

Cybsled

Somber ending, but was good. One point that confused me

Old man Blackthorne - show presents it as a flashforward, but it could also be a “dream”. One give away is he is holding a cross that we think is Mariko’s, but he put that to rest in the ocean. The RL person Blackthorne was based on lived the rest of his life in Japan and even Toronaga admits that he believes Anjin is fated to live in Japan forever

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Somber ending, but was good. One point that confused me

Old man Blackthorne - show presents it as a flashforward, but it could also be a “dream”. One give away is he is holding a cross that we think is Mariko’s, but he put that to rest in the ocean. The RL person Blackthorne was based on lived the rest of his life in Japan and even Toronaga admits that he believes Anjin is fated to live in Japan forever

He never makes it back in the novel. I assumed it was put in to offer some hope to the audience but left open to interpretation.

• 1Like

Cybsled

The ending had a lot of open ended things going on with it, but I suppose that was partially the point. In the end, only Toronaga had a firm destiny

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are they planning on doing a second season? Thought they said it was just a one and done

Cybsled

As far as I know it’s a one and done. They’ve told the story from the book already

The closest thing to a “sequel” is another novel that takes place in Japan during the 1860s, so it would be completely different characters

Homsar

Well it sounds they they left the show a little more open from the book

spronk

FPS noob
Amazing finale and season, definitely would be a great addition to an annual watch list. Anna Sawai better be winning some awards.

The finale really encapsulates the Sun Tzu maxim, "Every battle is won before it is ever fought" and while it was maybe a little convenient I liked that final scene explaining everything between Yabushige and Toranaga. I also wonder how people will see Toranaga, he's 100% a ruthless tier S villain but I get the feeling most people won't see him that way. The way he thinks of Blackthorne the entire season lol

TXcWX2m[1].png

Homsar

Blackthorne being literally a pet to him was pretty funny. Thought he had respect for him but he's essentially just a pet dog. Blackthorne is useful for future stuff but him liking him for entertainment was good

Cybsled

The hints were there. Like his brother shows up and he is like “I heard you have a trained barbarian!” and he would dismiss Blackthorne like he was a toddler

Toronaga demonstrates that being a villain or a hero depends on what side of history you end up on. Toronaga was committed enough to his goal that he let his best bro in the world die (even though it’s clear it was emotionally destroying) and was okay sacrificing pieces on the board to secure a win

His win united Japan and made it stronger in the medium term, although the closed nature eventually took a toll and it took the Meiji Restoration to pull out of that rut

• 1Like