Silicon Valley

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Jared has really come on strong the last season and a half; I think they have been downplaying Gilfoyle over the same period in favor of Dinesh. I love them all so it's not like I think it is a problem.
All of them including Monica and Laurie are great, yep. You can tell the show has got the Mike Judge vibe. Same sort of slightly absurd, everyday shenanigans.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I always see Jin Yang as a good version of Bachman. He's a dick just like Bachman but for good.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't see Bachman as as dick, I see him as a charlatan. Bachman is basically a character created out of all the caricatures of the self inflated egos in the "technology services" industry in this country who think they have groundbreaking ideas but really they're all just full of shit and trying to ride the wave as long as they can. Companies like kickstarter and uber honestly have no right to exist. "Hey you like to work for your money? Cool! We're gonna pretend we make it easier for you to work for that money and take 80% of it. Why? Because we've reskinned Facebook and Google Maps for you!"

Jin Yang is what the everyman wishes he could be. The man who tells the Bachman's of the world to eat shit and die because he just doesn't give a fuck.

And both of them are really funny.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just caught up on the last two episodes. When Gavin walks into the board room to get fired, he is told "Why don't you go ahead and take a seat, Gavin?", which to me seemed like a Chris Hansen reference. I love this show.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Companies like kickstarter and uber honestly have no right to exist. "Hey you like to work for your money? Cool! We're gonna pretend we make it easier for you to work for that money and take 80% of it. Why? Because we've reskinned Facebook and Google Maps for you!"

Uber is one of the most useful apps ever created. Have you ever tried calling a cab to your place? "We'll be there in 30 min". 30 min later. "We'll be there in 15 min." They're the worst. Not Uber users fault that the drivers are retarded and willfully drive for shit rates.

Khane

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Uber as a company didn't really do much except make use of existing technology and it's worth billions. It's obviously very useful it's just that they barely do anything as a company.

spronk

FPS noob
Its worth billions due to scaling and market competitive issues, not really tech. For a new company to compete against Uber is going to be extremely difficult, as they have navigated laws and regulations in thousands of markets (each city / county / state / country is different) and hired hundreds of thousands of "contractors", all of which will be extremely difficult for someone else to do. Also the assumption that now that they are everywhere, they will get close to monopoly levels of the market and once they do they can start dictating prices a lot better.

All of that is of course really questionable assumptions, and a lot of things could go wrong to absolutely destroy them quickly. Still, if things go well for them and they keep that edge and slowly roll out self driving cars, they'd probably run like 70-80% of automated cabs in most cities worldwide in the future, with Lyft and smaller companies not having anywhere near their penetration.

don't get me wrong, I totally don't think Uber, AirBNB, etc should be worth as much as they are either and I think the companies are going to suffer severely when people realize they are getting screwed and demand more which totally breaks their biz model.

Ladro

Anomaly
Uber's business model has been "get to autonomous vehicles ASAP on the backs of idiots willing to drive for peanuts". Their downfall could be their willingness to do whatever it takes to make that happen, including stealing corporate secrets from Google to support that program, ignoring regulations, or monitoring state and federal employees (or really just everyone that has the app installed).

Lyft partnering with Waymo, e.g Alphabet/Google, could be a solution to their dominance now that Levandowski is forbidden to work on Uber's self driving program.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Everyone was great this episode, even try-hard beta male Jared. Finally genuinely laughed at Jin-Yang. Even enjoyed Gavin teaming up with Richard. Love Guillfoile (favorite characteR) tormenting Dinesh over the NSFW Periscope dick pivot but this is your work.

Really wish we'd get to see MOnica show off those titties one day. Unlikely.

Glad this show is still making me laugh.

/nerd rant

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Uber's business model has been "get to autonomous vehicles ASAP on the backs of idiots willing to drive for peanuts". Their downfall could be their willingness to do whatever it takes to make that happen, including stealing corporate secrets from Google to support that program, ignoring regulations, or monitoring state and federal employees (or really just everyone that has the app installed).

Lyft partnering with Waymo, e.g Alphabet/Google, could be a solution to their dominance now that Levandowski is forbidden to work on Uber's self driving program.

So we all agree.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Uber's business model is the same as any delivery type business.

If you have 24/7 drivers, its a success.

Food delivery, alcohol delivery, coffee delivery, weed delivery, etc. The hardest part of the business model is having the drivers available.