Silicon Valley

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I think the reason other people (such as myself) like anime is because we don't really know what the people are saying. Their voice conveys an emotion, and we can read it however we want with the subtitles. As such, no idea if they're overacting the way you can with American cartoons. Plus, Anime is fun. It's a bunch of Rick & Morty stuff.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I think it's supposed to have new information.

I also think Richard is supposed to be more and more of an unlikable douche. In the end, he'll probably end up as only a slightly-less-awful version of Gavin.

He's already been going down that road for like 2 seasons imo, I think he's definitely gonna get more cunty

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I don't even care if someone thinks the show has lost a step. People who whine because they have a minority opinion are pussies.

For reasons that remain a mystery to me, lots of people like anime. I think it's absolute kiddy dogshit. but you won't catch me moaning "abloo abloo the herd is mean to me when I criticize a thing they like."
I would hardly say I'm whining here. If I didn't like the show to begin with and was in here complaining that it sucked you might have a point but for the last few year it's been one of my most looked forward to shows on TV and here we are halfway through season 4 and it's becoming more and more of an afterthought to me. Just trying to get a feel as to whether anyone else's reception to the show is less enthusiastic this year.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I would hardly say I'm whining here. If I didn't like the show to begin with and was in here complaining that it sucked you might have a point but for the last few year it's been one of my most looked forward to shows on TV and here we are halfway through season 4 and it's becoming more and more of an afterthought to me. Just trying to get a feel as to whether anyone else's reception to the show is less enthusiastic this year.
I think he is referring to Noble Savage, not you. I agree that it has actually lost a bit, but I still find it pretty damn entertaining. Noble Savage is saying stupid shit like "it jumped the shark" which is way overstating what is really going on with the show.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I don't even care if someone thinks the show has lost a step. People who whine because they have a minority opinion are pussies.

For reasons that remain a mystery to me, lots of people like anime. I think it's absolute kiddy dogshit. but you won't catch me moaning "abloo abloo the herd is mean to me when I criticize a thing they like."

Easy there champ.......Alot of repressed anger being project here. Maybe lay off some of that pre-workout boost for the next few days there tough guy. As for whining I simply stated my opinion, folks disagreed and that was the end of that. Keg posts saying he doesn't like this season and I make a joke about herd mentality. For someone who has a pic of The Donald as their avatar you sure have some thin skin and can't take a fucking joke.

Last edited:

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I think he is referring to Noble Savage, not you. I agree that it has actually lost a bit, but I still find it pretty damn entertaining. Noble Savage is saying stupid shit like "it jumped the shark" which is way overstating what is really going on with the show.

I will agree it might be too soon to say that this show has jumped the shark and is doomed, time will tell. The jumping of the shark may not have officially happened yet but they are setting up the ramps, gassing up the boat and and waxing the water skis. There feel better now?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I agree with you. The entire sequence with Richard and the "blood boy" was fucking stupid and rushed. I just don't feel like they are letting any of the jokes play out as well as they could. I don't hate the show, but it feels lazier for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yeah letting that joke play out the way it started, with blood boy being a closet nerd and treated badly by "real" nerds was much better than reverting back to lulz he's a jock not a nerd. dinesh reporting the chick to the FBI to get out of the relationship is funny as a relationship thing but also kinda stupid, an immigrant is not gonna be reporting ANYONE to the fbi especially a nerd who knows there is no such thing as anonymity.

the show has always had moments but never been super consistent in its quality, just the really amazing parts have been absolutely amazing - the dick stroke algorithm, anything with Donald or Jin Yiang. For a show that went really high and then went really, really low look at Archer - it dropped lower than grannies titties at its weak seasons but has had great seasons too. SV and Veep so far haven't been at peak humor but they haven't dropped that low, to the point where you want to stop watching. The Office, Family Guy, Simpsons, Dexter, The Walking Dead, etc are all shows that set the bar very high for "man this show turned to shit".

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't think anything will touch Dexter and Californiation. Showtime always ruins their shows.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Because this forum is filled with a bunch of dorks who think this show somehow correlates to their life because they do software programming for car insurance or whatever the fuck 90% of this board does.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't say it jumped the shark but this show basically pulled a Gilligan's Island special. You know the one where they get off the Island and back to civilization but then by the end of the special they needed to be back on the island for the show to continue so they decided randomly to go back out to sea for old times sake and happened to get marooned again on the exact same island.

The premise of the show being about a silicon valley startup and the writers being terrified of veering away from that, they pretty much are stuck always being just on the precipice of success until insert calamity here. Whether its FTP "whoops was that the delete key" or "oh shit we finally did the thing we've been working on for 3 seasons, but it fails for no reason because we are too stupid to spend 5 dollars on a UI redesign" they will never actually succeed and make a successful company. If they did they wouldn't be a startup working in Urlich's house and well, sitcom, can't change the situation or it's no longer a comedy apparently. Every season has introduced more complex, more convoluted excuses for why they fail and have to start over that stray further and further from reality, in order to preserve the sitcom-ness of it.

This season so far basically feels like a soft reboot of the concept to milk another few seasons working on the "new internet" and certainly that will end up failing for no logical reason just like the platform and then they'll soft reboot again with another idea.

Once you accept that it's easier to ignore the illogical bits and just laugh at the dick and fart jokes. if this show is on 10 years from now they'll be 40 somethings still living and working out of Urlich's house just on the precipe of making the next big thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
slight chuckles this week

the blood boy shit was stupid, dinesh snitching to the FBI on his hacker GF, raviga nonsense, gavin departure from the show?

:emoji_sleeping::emoji_sleepy::emoji_zzz:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wouldn't say it jumped the shark but this show basically pulled a Gilligan's Island special. You know the one where they get off the Island and back to civilization but then by the end of the special they needed to be back on the island for the show to continue so they decided randomly to go back out to sea for old times sake and happened to get marooned again on the exact same island.
Wait, do you mean Lost? Or...shit, did Lost rip off Gilligan's Island?

Also, regarding your 2nd paragraph, I think that's why I like Veep so much right now. It went from VP to President, to now ex-President. And with Silicon Valley that would kill the premise (they need to stay in the incubator for some reason). But this season is killing it when a lot of us expressed a lot of concern with how they'd keep it interesting with Selena not being in the White House anymore.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Veep's always killed it though. The situation doesn't matter, it's a show about the people. Next season it could be completely removed from Politics and Selena and Co could start a bakery and it would still be hilarious.

People who are falling out of love with Silicon Valley (myself included) thought that it was going to be the same, a show about the hilarious hi-jinks of this crew as they grow from a start up and build a compression company based on some tech magic. It's disappointing to realize it's really just Cheers. No matter what happens it's the same people in the same bar every night. Huge falling out? characters should hate one another and never speak again? It's ok next episode they are best friends again.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I guess I missed the huge falling out -> best friends in one episode.

The TV show I've been watching all season was falling out -> agree to go their separate ways -> fuck ups and minor reconciliations -> common ground is found and they are working together again. This happened over the course of 4 episodes and has happened in every single season so far so I really don't get all this "the show is different now" rhetoric.

The lost interest over the humor not being there this season I can understand. If you don't think it's as funny so far as it has been previously I agree. But anyone saying they changed the formula of the show must not have been watching the first 3 seasons.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah Veep's always killed it though. The situation doesn't matter, it's a show about the people. Next season it could be completely removed from Politics and Selena and Co could start a bakery and it would still be hilarious.

People who are falling out of love with Silicon Valley (myself included) thought that it was going to be the same, a show about the hilarious hi-jinks of this crew as they grow from a start up and build a compression company based on some tech magic. It's disappointing to realize it's really just Cheers. No matter what happens it's the same people in the same bar every night. Huge falling out? characters should hate one another and never speak again? It's ok next episode they are best friends again.
Yeah Veep is almost entirely about interactions between the characters and it would work in a lot of settings. The writing on that show is amazing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Wait, do you mean Lost? Or...shit, did Lost rip off Gilligan's Island?

Also, regarding your 2nd paragraph, I think that's why I like Veep so much right now. It went from VP to President, to now ex-President. And with Silicon Valley that would kill the premise (they need to stay in the incubator for some reason). But this season is killing it when a lot of us expressed a lot of concern with how they'd keep it interesting with Selena not being in the White House anymore.
Lost is sort of like gilligan's island where the entire show has to do with the mystery surrounding the island, where as GI was based around their dumbfuckery continuing to be stranded on the island at the end of each episode. ya know if these guys were smart enough to invent a coconut powered car and radio but unable to build a goddamned new boat or when they get close to a real chance of escaping the island fucking gilligan is left to guard the sub or tiki torches. that negro would have been murdered in the first week and ginger and maryann would be sporting baby bumps. skipper knocked them both up because he was the only non faggot on the show. i swear that island must have been the most visited deserted island in the pacific.

• 1Solidarity