Silo

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Mixed episode that was mostly a self contained storyline with the repair, but sufficient tension to keep it interesting. And it still moved the plotline along with her taking the job and the Mayor presumably being assassinated at the end

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
all the repair shit was dumb, like turn it off, do a bit of work, turn it on, repeat. We all knew everyone would survive and the machine would get fixed so just felt contrived.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
all the repair shit was dumb, like turn it off, do a bit of work, turn it on, repeat. We all knew everyone would survive and the machine would get fixed so just felt contrived.

If on without the blade it would go out of balance and fuck up all the other blades. Stupid design but that was the logic. Also not having a bypass that just releases steam elsewhere is also a dumb design. Shit should have like three redundancies built in.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Its been awhile since I read the books, but I think there actually are redundancies like that but because they are living in the 'dark ages' they just don't know what they all are/where the controls are. Since they have never shut the generator off in their recorded history its all a mystery and surprising they even know how to do that.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Damn that episode was ass...just thinking about how stupid everything to do with the generator was makes my head hurt. Considering it's literally the most crucial element of keeping the silo going, how the hell does the leadership not keep a super close eye on what's going on in engineering?!? Also I'm pretty mechanically inept, but even I can see a turbine design like that would certainly need to be regularly shut down for routine maintenance like greasing the bearings and just checking for metal fatigue. Felt like a filler episode from a network show having to fill a 20+ episode season.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I just assumed there has got to be a lot more going on there since the black engineering chick mentioned how the Founders created a steam pipe system that generated the heat that basically drove the whole thing but they had no idea where the steam was coming from lol. That seems like a MAJOR fucking thing to not know how it works or worry about it stop working. Made me think a little bit about the giant pool of cave water the lead found last episode.

but yeah this is teetering right on the edge of "ok the Founders designed this entire thing for a reason and we are seeing bits of the system cracking" or "this show makes no fucking sense". For now the set design and Rebecca Ferguson and the other fantastic actors are really carrying the show on their backs, but you can see how it can all quickly fall apart if we're asked to yadda yadda too many things.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Mixed episode that was mostly a self contained storyline with the repair, but sufficient tension to keep it interesting. And it still moved the plotline along with her taking the job and the Mayor presumably being assassinated at the end
Speaking on this when the power went out the outside was green for a second as it switched to back up generator.

Also I assume justice is really controlling things and killed the mayor.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Why aren't there more people skilled in servicing the generator. Do they just work the living shit out of the engineers 24/7 for what amounts to the most important job in the Silo? We need hundreds of porters but 1 engineer and 1 in training sounds pretty dumb to me.

• 2Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I just can't understand why the fuck they wouldn't take the suites off outside. Everyone says your going to die anyway and your entire thing is they are lying. Walk the fuck outside with the suit off.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I just assumed there has got to be a lot more going on there since the black engineering chick mentioned how the Founders created a steam pipe system that generated the heat that basically drove the whole thing but they had no idea where the steam was coming from lol. That seems like a MAJOR fucking thing to not know how it works or worry about it stop working. Made me think a little bit about the giant pool of cave water the lead found last episode.

They went into a bit in in the first episode - the official line is that they lost almost all of their records, tech manuals and the like in a worker uprising.

Coupled with rising class warfare making working in 'Mechanical' less desirable, the engineers are all woefully under-qualified and don't really know what they are doing.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So people like the books, right? I popped in to check out the show and it's alright but if the books are good I'll just plow those rather than waiting week to week.

• 1Solidarity

Juvarisx

Florida
They went into a bit in in the first episode - the official line is that they lost almost all of their records, tech manuals and the like in a worker uprising.

Coupled with rising class warfare making working in 'Mechanical' less desirable, the engineers are all woefully under-qualified and don't really know what they are doing.

Yea, that hard drive was full of schematics about the Silo itself so presumably had detailed schematics on how the generator would have looked / worked on original build which would be invaluable. Sounds like Justice just destroys everything they deem relics (which the hard drive was) and it a suicidal line of thinking. Everything the current engineers know was passed down from one person to the next over the past hundred years like a game of broken telephone. Its amazing to me any of it works at all.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
like a game of broken telephone. Its amazing to me any of it works at all.

Recently on tiktok some Korean American went viral for commenting how English people call Chinese takeaway food as "going for a Chinese"

DickTrickle DickTrickle recently said people "telephone game" me all the time and I was like huh. Now I get it, what you call "telephone game" we call "Chinese whispers"

• 1Solidarity

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Like what is being said, this episode was so logically dumb it made watching it pretty difficult. I saw the writing on the wall pretty early with this one and spent most of the time looking at my phone. Still interested to see where this goes - hopefully this was a brief hiccup.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I never look up spoilers e.g.for something like Game of Thrones but this makes me want to look up the lore of the silo etc

Is the show likely to explain much lore any time soon?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I kinda hope they use this opportunity to retool some of the aspects of the overarching story. The author self-published these books and was in dire need of an editor to control some of the more 'meh' aspects.

Goonsquad Officer
I enjoyed the books. They were kind of put up on Amazon Kindle and came in small volumes at first. It's like wool 1 to 3 were short stories totaling a smaller book size, and then full size books came out for I tjink 4 and 5. The show may have just tried to smooth it into one long story.

I haven't started the show. Gonna watch it when it's done and I can subscribe and watch in one month.

The author would just put whatever the fuck up on kindle back then so I'd just check out whatever he wrote to read while I was formatting computers

Goonsquad Officer
I never look up spoilers e.g.for something like Game of Thrones but this makes me want to look up the lore of the silo etc

Is the show likely to explain much lore any time soon?
The lore remaind shrouded in mystery for a good while. The why of, why things are set up the way they are, comes out toward the end... and Im the follow up series....and the capstone novel

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I got far enough into book one to be just past where the narrative is in the show and anything I thought was dumb about the show isn't present in the book (the action sequence generator repair mostly).

edit - yeah, this is way better

Last edited: