Situations at work thread

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I didn't see another thread for this so if you have a situation at work you want to bitch about or a situation you want advise on post it in this thread

All right so there is a new guy at work that I was the deciding call on hiring. Good worker, is knowledgeable but the problem is I have seen his gut at work way to many times. He is 6'8 about 380 lbs and I get that it is hard to find clothes that fit well if you are that big. I would like to buy him some undershirts that would fit him. I am not really even sure how to bring this up to him or where to get clothes that might fit him.

Any advise would be appreciated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I am that height yet not that weight - it is difficult, the store should be called "Big OR Tall" not "Big and Tall" - you essentially have to buy a lot "larger" than what "fits" - a 2xl undershirt is fine but never is it long enough if I where to pick something up or do anything other than stand or sit. The same goes with button down shirts - so I generally get 3 or sometimes 4x in order to get them long enough - many times XLL(long) are still not really long enough.

Walmart carries 3xl and 4xl standard undershirts - if paired with short sleeve button down / polo sometimes the undershirt arms are too big and show - A-shirts / Beaters also of the same size can help with that (no arms) - if I am wearing a t-shirt (graphic t etc.) I generally will wear a beater under as no outer wear tshirt is going to be long enough unless its a 4xl + and then its like billowing and huge as hell.

Big and Tall clothing that is good and made well and at the big and tall store is expensive as hell...well imo, I am a cheapass when it comes to clothing. JC Penny has a decent big and tall section in each store and thus the random % $ off that pennys always has + clearance and you can find some good deals. The "Best" imo and its $$ is the George Foreman stuff almost always high quality and has a good fit- I hate buying big stuff 3-4xl and its cut like I am a triangle with ultra tight upper body and then once it gets to the mid its like a fucking tent.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
There is a guy at my work who is really big, probably like 300 pounds at around 5'8 or so. The problem is that he sweats like crazy. He gets the regular pit stains in addition to a big circular stain right on his chest, and of course sweat dripping off his forehead. This is all through two layers of clothes (an undershirt and a button-down dress shirt).

There is debate among everyone in the office whether we should talk to him about it or not. He teaches courses for us, so he's directly interfacing with "customers". They don't seem to mind, at least not overtly. The weird thing is that despite all that sweating, he smells fine.

*Edit* There is one woman in our office who is willing to talk to him about it. She's kind of our enforcer when it comes to stuff like this. She took a guy aside and told him that his limp dick handshake was making people respect him less. But we want to avoid a possible HR fiasco with sweat dude.

iannis

Musty Nester
Being sweaty is a tough one.

Since he doesn't smell then it's a lot less embarassing to talk about. It could be a lot worse. If he's interacting with customers... maybe just find a place to keep him extra shirts and extra undershirts in the workplace. If he sweats through he'll just sweat through, but at least he came in with a clean shirt. He -knows- he's sweaty, and I'm sure that on some level it probably bothers him a little bit. But it's the weight, that's all it is. You can't tell him to lose 100 pounds, and that's the real fix.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wasting about 1 million dollars on a 1.1 million dollar project

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
Wasting about 1 million dollars on a 1.1 million dollar project

Sounds like a Defense Contractor

Actually. NM

It would be 2m on a 1m contract (with the 1M overage charged to the gov)

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There is a guy at my work who is really big, probably like 300 pounds at around 5'8 or so. The problem is that he sweats like crazy. He gets the regular pit stains in addition to a big circular stain right on his chest, and of course sweat dripping off his forehead. This is all through two layers of clothes (an undershirt and a button-down dress shirt).

There is debate among everyone in the office whether we should talk to him about it or not. He teaches courses for us, so he's directly interfacing with "customers". They don't seem to mind, at least not overtly. The weird thing is that despite all that sweating, he smells fine.

*Edit* There is one woman in our office who is willing to talk to him about it. She's kind of our enforcer when it comes to stuff like this. She took a guy aside and told him that his limp dick handshake was making people respect him less. But we want to avoid a possible HR fiasco with sweat dude.
You think he doesn't know? especially wearing an undershirt(one reason to wear one is to catch sweat), if you're thinking maybe cuz he's fat and rotund, that's why he's sweating like a pig, it's probably a medical condition.

Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition in which a person sweats excessively and unpredictably. People with hyperhidrosis may sweat even when the temperature is cool or when they are at rest.

I mean whats he gonna do? you know all antiperspirants do is plug up the sweat glands. Sure he could take medicine for it too, cuz you can't just rub old spice on your forehead, but it probably fucks him up royally.

I wouldn't do shit, this sounds like a HR nightmare, again just cuz he's a fatty and rotund, doesn't mean he's a sweaty pig. Hell if he got into Wolverine shape, he'd probably still sweat just as bad.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No situations here but at the last two places what the fuck is up with Indians and taking their shoes off

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I get 3xl non long/tall from Walmart because they don't have tall in store, if I was not lazy to order tall they would be even better. I say buy a 3x and 4x and give to him and tell him to let you know what ones fit best and to go from there.

So your telling me I should go with the 4x instead of the 4XLT? I'm telling you standing next to him is exactly like standing next to Hagrid.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't understand why you don't make HR deal with stuff like this. What other use do they have?

Tell them it's unprofessional and disruptive and needs to be dealt with.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
We have a fatty here that mostly works from home but when I do see him in the office he's covered in sweat and breathing hard from walking. It's scary. I don't know how he's still alive.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

No, deff get long - I am saying I don't get long because they don't have them in store and I am lazy. If I ordered long I prolly could go down a size because upping the size sometimes makes it longer.

I am saying get 3XL-Long and 4XL-Long and let him see what ones fit best.. it depends on how people like their under shirts, I hate tight under shirts, some prefer it. lol Hagrid.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't understand why you don't make HR deal with stuff like this. What other use do they have?

Cuz HR acts in the best interest of the company, they're not there to protect you, especially when you make demands like "he looks like a fat piggy"

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Cuz HR acts in the best interest of the company, they're not there to protect you, especially when you make demands like "he looks like a fat piggy"

Yea bro, customer facing positions looking like slobs in the best interest of the company.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider

As far as I cant tell HR's job is to make sure you time card is filled out correctly beyond that I am not sure what they do.

Like I said I am the one who made the call to hire him. So in some sense he reflects my judgement. I want to make sure my boss thinks I
have good judgement.