Smartphones

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Tarrant (and RR in general): I have a coworker (slightly older lady) who needs a replacement phone on Sprint. She has a Galaxy S2 that just shit the bed on her. She is not up for contract so she'd be paying full price. Needs something in the $75-150 range. Doesn't need something that'll power a rocket. She needs it for phone/text and just the occasional interweb/facebook usage. Thoughts?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I didn't like it when I first got my phone. Maybe I should give it another go.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tarrant (and RR in general): I have a coworker (slightly older lady) who needs a replacement phone on Sprint. She has a Galaxy S2 that just shit the bed on her. She is not up for contract so she'd be paying full price. Needs something in the $75-150 range. Doesn't need something that'll power a rocket. She needs it for phone/text and just the occasional interweb/facebook usage. Thoughts?
She can probably find a 8GB nexus 4 for $100-150

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So work wants to get me a new phone of my choice. Haven't looked at phones for a long time. Any recommendations would be welcomed was considering either S5 or Note 3. I do use VPN app to log into servers to do basic tasks, lots of emails and using web browser work apps as well.
Note 3 if it isn't too large to fit in your pocket or whatever. I love my Note 3, so much easier to do any task compared with any other phone. The extra screen real estate is well worth it. The battery life is stellar as well.

When the phone is turned sideways(landscape) its damn near as wide of a screen as most upright 7" tablets.

Killswitch

N00b
Note 3 if it isn't too large to fit in your pocket or whatever. I love my Note 3, so much easier to do any task compared with any other phone. The extra screen real estate is well worth it. The battery life is stellar as well.

When the phone is turned sideways(landscape) its damn near as wide of a screen as most upright 7" tablets.
Thats what I was thinking and was just on the fence about. Note 3 screen is just a under a inch bigger but of course that huge when you do VPN. Looking at specs its not really much of a difference plus the Note being about the same price.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was reading today about samsung possibly releasing a premium version of the s5 to compete with the iphone 6?

I don't tend to upgrade my phones very often, I'm currently using a plain jane 3g iphone 4, so If one offers "LTE advanced" and the other doesn't, I think it'd probably be a smart idea for me to hop on whichever one offers it?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Assuming LTE Advanced is anything like Sprint Spark - it's not really a big deal - it's nice when you've got it, but it doesn't make THAT much of a difference when you fall out of the area it's in.

Unless you do tethering to tons of other devices at least.

Siliconemelons

yeah most new phones should... hell my BlabkBerry Q10 has it on the Verizon- its not that much faster. maybe higher peaks but no real standard speed increases.

edit: and yes I am in a market where Verizon lte advanced is turned on :p

Vaclav

I believe the M8 has the LTE Advanced feature as well, no?
Not sure if it does or not, but the Sprint M8 has Sprint Spark which I'm sure is at least in the ballpark of similar concept. (Triband for Sprint Spark)

But yea, as xadion reinforced, it's just a nice bonus when you've got it but it's not really substantial or consistent anywhere.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never thought about a Windows phone until now, but I can't wait till the Lumia 930 hits the shelves (if we ever get it in Canada).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Anyone have a signal comparison chart that includes some stuff available on Verizon? My Razr Maxx is starting to succumb to the weight of all the Android updates, even after cleaning most of the apps off of it. The one thing I can never find is about antennas, though. Shit's the most important feature of a phone, period, yet everyone reviews phones in their posh metro apartments. I've never found another manufacturer to come close to Motorola's internal antennas. My GF went through Samsung, LG and HTC attempts at our apartment now before I finally made her ditch the dumb things and get a Motorola phone and, lo! no signal on an S4 to 3 bars on a Moto G. That said, I'm not really sold on any of Motorola's budget-oriented releases recently.

Siliconemelons

Anyone have a signal comparison chart that includes some stuff available on Verizon? My Razr Maxx is starting to succumb to the weight of all the Android updates, even after cleaning most of the apps off of it. The one thing I can never find is about antennas, though. Shit's the most important feature of a phone, period, yet everyone reviews phones in their posh metro apartments. I've never found another manufacturer to come close to Motorola's internal antennas. My GF went through Samsung, LG and HTC attempts at our apartment now before I finally made her ditch the dumb things and get a Motorola phone and, lo! no signal on an S4 to 3 bars on a Moto G. That said, I'm not really sold on any of Motorola's budget-oriented releases recently.
Not to bang the bandwagon drum- but try a blackberry Z30, great battery life and very good antennas from what I have seen- my Q10 never has issues- the weakest antenna I have ever used had to be my HTC Evo 4g.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I wish someone would invent a device that costs maybe $15-$20 that you could purchase and it gave you an accurate reading of all the various cell signals where you are currently located. I've always thought about switching services, but between using my phone at home, at my office, at my parents lake house, etc, I'm always hesitant because I don't know what phone and data signals will be like in all of those places. I know everything works fine on my current carrier, but I don't want to go to the trouble of switching, find out the new network sucks in one location I need it, and have to go to the trouble of going back to my old carrier.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'm with you 100% joeboo. I'm too fucking gunshy to switch to T-Mobile or AT&T or Sprint because I know for a fact Verizon works at my house/office/parents place/brothers place/sports fields/cabins/etc. Once my contract is up though I think I'm going to be testing the waters with a new company and if it sucks I'll just sell the phone on reddit or craigslist or ebay or whatever and go back to Verizon. It might cost me a little $$$ but in the long run the cost of Verizon may balance it out.

Crone

About 99% sure I'm going with a phablet on my next phone purchase. Well, at least 5" screen at least. Can't wait to see what the G3 looks like, or the Note 4, and of course, the iPhone 6 with the 5.5" screen.

Ya, tablets are cool, but I don't bring a tablet everywhere, and the convenience of having the bigger screen with me, wherever I go, is too good to pass up!

Vaclav

Not ever seen a direct comparison made, but clearly someone out there MUST do it because when researching my M8 purchase they would regularly talk about how good the antennae is (which is usually a problem with aluminum body phones or something?).