Smartphones

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm not sure, I've been sticking with the Nexus line for no contract goodness. The no headphone shit and Google's retardedness in general lately has me thinking other options are worth a look.

Does any major carrier even offer contracts anymore?

The only thing they offer is 0% financing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I do as well but I don't use excessive cases. I prefer Spigen Cases for protection without bulk. Tough Armor on my S6, Hybrid Armor on my S8+ (work phone) and Note 8. Otter boxes and such are stupid.
I am using a spigen case right now. Like it more than any other case I have had before.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any 200-300 dollar phone compared to 800-900? I used to buy the latest models but the difference between each successive ones diminished to a point where I just don't see any difference. So what is the reason to buy now other than new shiny effect?

Depends on aspects you're using - for me, quicker refocus on newer models has been a noticeable improvement between generations and DOES improve my productivity at work impactfully. (We use lots of barcodes for filing/etc so it's all bar code scanning stuff - S7 Edge vs S8+ I can scan where ever in whatever light in about 1-2 sec with the S8+, S7 Edge I'd have to play with distance and sometimes some lighting conditions were no bueno at all - 3-4 sec scans were common, but it wasn't that odd to have one I struggled with for a good 10-15 sec)

Besides barcode scanning - it's damn nice that S8/S8+ (And I presume Note8) finally do internet + phone at the same time on my carrier (Sprint) although not a complete deal breaker it's nice to take a call and get a file rather than having the end a call and calling back to resolve it since I don't carry two mobile devices on me.

And battery life has been going up a bit as well.

But other than that, if those aspects don't matter to you (they do to me - and waterproof was nice in case my woman is clumsy again, she has dunked a phone in a toilet before and wrecked it) - other aspects are pretty minor differences. Guts are pretty well founded and small improvements these days, it's all the frills on the edges that make big leaps anymore.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It seems like battery aside we're probably getting petty close to the PC situation (no discernable difference for 99% of users too upgrade to cutting edge). I wonder where the next few years of models go from here. Pixel density is insane, phone screen size is reaching practical limits, battery life is just limited by battery technology.

I guess more ram and gpu power? I don't know

Siliconemelons

Where to go is backwards... the phone replaces desktop - all you need is one device idea. Ran into that moto dock in a pawn shop a few weeks ago.

I suppose I have to see the forest through the trees with the iPad pro running iOS not osx - maybe apple is five steps ahead and their ecosystem will be ready for this change to happen.

Is the surface phone a thing yet? Unified OS is the key to this, I do not think android will be able to do this step, it's apple and Microsoft.

• 1Solidarity

Vaclav

Indeed was thinking about that while stranded without the PCs due to the evac. Always been a tower guy but yet for all the power in my phone, I was stranded without for what felt like an age.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Where to go is backwards... the phone replaces desktop - all you need is one device idea. Ran into that moto dock in a pawn shop a few weeks ago.

I suppose I have to see the forest through the trees with the iPad pro running iOS not osx - maybe apple is five steps ahead and their ecosystem will be ready for this change to happen.

Is the surface phone a thing yet? Unified OS is the key to this, I do not think android will be able to do this step, it's apple and Microsoft.

Convergence has its limits. A phone itself simply has limitations in form factor and utility. To go beyond that it will take a revolution in battery technology. When that comes, who knows what the future will look like. It's like saying if we develop tiny safe fusion plants we'll have the same cars we have today we'll just save lots of gas. If I could fit a phone into a watch but have it project a screen or whatever that'd be even more convenient.

Siliconemelons

MS has worked a lot with windows 10 not flipping out with on the fly hardware changes - re: surface book and others that have battery and GPU in the keyboard part and the rest in the screen part and you can just pop it off and no issues, or anything.

So a modular system could work better now, than it did before.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes but that doesn't change anything.

Just having a laptop sized thing be as powerful as a desktop for most people (which I'd argue is already here) does nothing.

The point is there are physical limitations with keyboard size and screen size due to humans having to interface with them. Yes there will eventually be be concepts in UX but they aren't robust enough yet.

Vaclav

Yes but that doesn't change anything.

Just having a laptop sized thing be as powerful as a desktop for most people (which I'd argue is already here) does nothing.

The point is there are physical limitations with keyboard size and screen size due to humans having to interface with them. Yes there will eventually be be concepts in UX but they aren't robust enough yet.

Wasn't his point to have a dock that you could have either or both with to fix that interface issue? That's how I was taking his message. As well as having a more robust software environment so that the phones could run nearly all PC software as well, obviously.

I took his message to mean harnessing the internal hardware to power a larger more "PC like" set of peripherals to allow this near laptop in our pockets to truly emulate a laptop by attaching a few devices.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On a somber note, I took my phone out to take a pic of my son this weekend in a slight drizzle of rain. Hand was damp and took the phone out of my pocket and it caught on something and flew out of my hand skittering across the concrete screen side down. My perfectly adequate Galaxy S7 Edge screen shattered. It is still perfectly useable, but it annoys me to no end. I had planned on skipping this generation of phones altogether this year, but now I don't know what to do. The S8 is already halfway through its life cycle (S series generally release around March) and the Note is a tad too large for my taste. No interest in getting back into an iPhone. What to do...

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have experience with recent motorola phones? From what I read they don't have a notification led anymore but the screen comes on instead? Interested in how well this works. I tend to leave my phone at my desk on silent and the blinking led is my indicator for texts etc. Don't want to have to wake the phone up to see if I got a text.

I'm still on the original moto G which is still holding up fine but I could do with some more ram.

Vaclav

On a somber note, I took my phone out to take a pic of my son this weekend in a slight drizzle of rain. Hand was damp and took the phone out of my pocket and it caught on something and flew out of my hand skittering across the concrete screen side down. My perfectly adequate Galaxy S7 Edge screen shattered. It is still perfectly useable, but it annoys me to no end. I had planned on skipping this generation of phones altogether this year, but now I don't know what to do. The S8 is already halfway through its life cycle (S series generally release around March) and the Note is a tad too large for my taste. No interest in getting back into an iPhone. What to do...

Screen repairs are $100 or something like that (for the first) from Sammy from what I was told when I purchased mine. Screen fragility was a concern being my first Edge'd phone.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

Just buy another S7 off craigslist or something if you were happy with it. Used phones are cheap as shit.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone have experience with recent motorola phones? From what I read they don't have a notification led anymore but the screen comes on instead? Interested in how well this works. I tend to leave my phone at my desk on silent and the blinking led is my indicator for texts etc. Don't want to have to wake the phone up to see if I got a text.

I'm still on the original moto G which is still holding up fine but I could do with some more ram.

My brother recently bought a Moto G Plus and he really likes it. It's not as big as the flagship phones and probably doesn't have as nice a screen or quite as good a camera but it has close to pure android on it, and you can get one new for as little as $185 if you are willing to let Amazon put ads on your lock screen. He says the battery life has been great so far, with him taking it off the charger at 6 AM and it's still at 30-40% when he goes to bed at night.

Honestly after playing with it it's hard to justify buying the $1000 flagships. Are there differences? Yes. Do they really justify the price differential? Not really. At the very least it seems like a solid option for someone who broke their phone but isn't ready to shell out for a flagship phone or the one they want is a few months away.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Generation-Lockscreen/dp/B01NBRN2YI

• 1Solidarity

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
But what does a 800 dollar phone do that a 200 dollar one doesn't?

I don't even have a laptop anymore, only thing I can't do is local compiles, but that is getting closer and closer to happening.

I don't see any major GPU/CPU jumps happening till battery's get better.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

G5 plus is a great phone. No notification light is dumb, but it supposedly flashes the screen every so often to let you know you have something.

It also responds well to you picking it up and taking it out of your pocket or something, where it will briefly illuminate the screen to let you know. It's not as good as a LED, imo, but it's serviceable. It just takes some getting used to.

I also can't see any reason to buy a $1000 phone when this exists. It's a solid phone with no real shortcomings. It's not worth $700 for whatever bullshit Samsung and Apple are trying to add on, that's for sure.