Smartphones

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I've played around with the Facebook Messenger app for making calls, it works pretty good. Can you tell that you are calling over the internet... yes. Is it bad enough that my wife will stop calling me... I certainly hope so.

All kidding aside, it seems to work pretty good and is how I plan on keeping in touch with all the family.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anymore, most high-end phones don't need a screen protector. The glass used in them is VERY scratch resistant. I wouldn't even think about using a screen protector unless I had a small child who regularly used it. I've had a S4 now for a few months with no screen protector, I constantly throw it in my pants pocket with my keys and whatever else and it still looks as new as the day I bought it.
I got a Nexus4 screen protector as soon as the phone was released, the measurements were off and it didn't cover all of the screen - guess what there's a small scratch on the uncovered bit

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Weird, maybe your average person is a lot harder on their electronics than I am. I've had a Nexus 7 for a year now with no case or screen protector and it looks as new as the day I bought it(I use it every day). My S4 is a few months old and still looks factory new, and I went about a year on my S2 previously with no screen protector and it never had a scratch. Not sure what people are doing that craps up their phone so easily. When I'm away form home it's in the pocket of my pants, I generally try not to put my car keys in the same pocket but I often forget and do so, and no problems. When I'm at home it's sitting on whatever coffee table/end table is closest to me, and at work it sits on my desk all day long. All that being said, we have no kids and no pets in our home, maybe that is a big factor.

Are people MMA fighting with their phone in their pocket or something to tear them up?

Weird, maybe your average person is a lot harder on their electronics than I am. I've had a Nexus 7 for a year now with no case or screen protector and it looks as new as the day I bought it(I use it every day). My S4 is a few months old and still looks factory new, and I went about a year on my S2 previously with no screen protector and it never had a scratch. Not sure what people are doing that craps up their phone so easily. When I'm away form home it's in the pocket of my pants, I generally try not to put my car keys in the same pocket but I often forget and do so, and no problems. When I'm at home it's sitting on whatever coffee table/end table is closest to me, and at work it sits on my desk all day long. All that being said, we have no kids and no pets in our home, maybe that is a big factor.

Are people MMA fighting with their phone in their pocket or something to tear them up?
I'm not the best with my phones, I don't use any sort of protector either. I've dropped my GNexus probably 4 or 5 times, but for all that I have dents on the corners, not a single scratch on the screen itself.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I am having an annoying issue with my S4, wondering if it is happening to anyone else. From time to time the lock screen is just stuck. It says swipe to unlock, but no matter how much I do it nothing happens. So I am forced to reboot the phone in order to get it working again. I haven't rooted it or anything, and am using Nova Launcher, but that's it. This happening to anyone else?

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Try the "Spare Phone" app. I've tried Talkatone and GrooveIP... and it seems to be the most robust--at least where I'm at, on the network I'm on.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Over at XDA a lot of people use the Vonage app for making WiFi calls. It can spoof your number so it looks like the calls are coming from your regular phone number and you don't need a Vonage account to use it. They claim it is one of the best WiFi calling apps, but unfortunately you cannot receive calls with it (at least not ones to your regular number).

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Got the Galaxy S4 myself, but it's too big for Mrs. Izo's slender fingers. So which phone is the ultimate wife phone atm - iPhone 5?

Siliconemelons

Got the Galaxy S4 myself, but it's too big for Mrs. Izo's slender fingers. So which phone is the ultimate wife phone atm - iPhone 5?
The ladies always like the iphone.. or go rouge and get a BB10 device- Z10 or Q10 ;-)

Now that iOS7 is going WebOS-like I may get one to match my wife- and one of those Bluetooth keyboard cases- I <3 physical keyboards- I have not used a virtual one yet that I enjoy.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
the HTC One would probably be more suitable for a woman than the S4. It's not as wide as the S4, so a woman(or anyone with shorter fingers) should still be able to reach across the screen with their thumb while holding it in 1 hand. Or yea, go down to a tiny-ass iPhone. They almost look like kids toys when I see one anymore, I'm so used to ~5" Android phones.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Also, aren't they coming out with "mini" versions of both the S4 and the One (with screens in the 4.3" range)? I know at least one of those has a mini version coming out. If you want to keep her with Android might be worth it to go with one of those.

My wife wanted and iPhone for a while but I told her I know nothing about iOS and wouldn't be able to troubleshoot any problems she had. That was enough to convince her to stick with an Android phone, although I'm sure iOS would have been fine for her since everyone tells me how intuitive it is.

Cor_sl

shitlord
My mum can use an iPhone, and she's completely computer illiterate. They're very easy to use.

Personally, I'd go for the HTC One Mini which will come out in the next month or two. The S4 mini isn't too great of a phone, while the HTC One Mini looks great (on paper). 4.3" 720p screen, 1.4ghz dual core cpu, 2gb ram, 16gb storage, ultrapixel camera, front facing speakers, etc. etc. Should come in at a cheaper price than the flagship phones, too.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
T-Mobile plan: $30 for unlimited web (5gb of 4g), unlimited text, 100 minutes.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57...one-plan-ever/
For those interested in trying this plan, you canget the SIM cardsfor free right now using coupon code 99SIM. It will initially ring up as $0.99 but once you check out the price will change to free.

There is ahuge thread over at XDAwhich covers all the tips and tricks for getting by with the 100 minutes. Also apparently extra minutes with the plan are $0.10ea so you can actually get 200min for $40 a month, which is the lowest prepaid plan price I have found for other plans that offer 4G/HSPA+ speeds.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
so when are they going to release a google nexus that has swappable hd card, 4g lte capability and wifi calling?