Smartphones

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
so when are they going to release a google nexus that has swappable hd card, 4g lte capability and wifi calling?
I assume you mean SD card...so, never.

Don't know about wifi calling. The market is so wide open it's fucking baffling. If you could program an app that will use your current cell phone number to do wifi calling, you could print money. On that note, grooveip has been working for me. Talked with my dad for a half hour yesterday with no problems provided we didn't try to talk over one another(google talk uses a shitty codec). Still needs wife approval. Who, btw, wouldn't have figured any of this out herself. That's the major problem with wifi calling right now. Takes way too much effort and is not nearly seamless enough.

And as I've mentioned before, everyone wins from this. EVERYONE. With maybe the exception of ISPs, but most of them cap monthly traffic, so they really wouldn't give a shit.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Groove IP and voice + are two excellent apps that allow wifi calling. Especially if you already use Google Voice. Which although uses a shitty codec, works just fine over wifi and even HSPDA / LTE assuming you don't move around. Start moving around and your odds of having issues on cell networks increases.

There is also skype which is pretty cheap for a number and unlimited calls.

We have an A-list plan with AT&T. Use Voice + which essentially allows me to put my GV number on my A-list (free calls to that number) and when I dial out it calls me back with my GV number and connects the call. Unlimited calling for me and the other 5 people on our plan.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm officially on my third Galaxy Nexus now. Have not made it a year with one yet before the charging plug crapped out. The first one I replaced via insurance because the screen was also broken. On the second one the charging plug stopped working completely so I just bought an external charger (already had a spare battery from the insurance replacement) and just swapped batteries. This worked for about 2 weeks and then the phone totally bricked itself. It had shut itself down for a dead battery and then just wouldn't turn back on. Tried 3 different fully charged batteries, took out the sim, everything else I could think of and it was just fucking dead. Called up Verizon and they said it was under warranty and sent out a new one. Lost some pics and some GPS waypoints that I hadn't backed up, but other than that the swap was painless.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the Nexus outside of the reliability problems, but I will be glad to get something else assuming that this one can make it to my upgrade in September.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
On my Nexus 4 when I plug or unplug the phone on an imperfect angle it makes a clicking sound that worries me. Hopefully it won't be an issue long term, since there's no replaceable battery.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Just get some sort of wireless charger. Problem solved.

Also, you CAN replace the battery on a Nexus 4, just need a little know how. Apparently it actually isn't that difficult, but since my N4 doesn't even get here till tomorrow, I obviously haven't done it myself
wink.png

*edit:Link

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Just get some sort of wireless charger. Problem solved.
+1

I got the LG Qi charger from a Verizon shop for $50 and it is super awesome with the N4. It also doesn't beep almost at all. Only when I put the phone on the charger. All the people complaining about it beeping are stupid or overly sensitive to the sound.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've never owned an iPhone of any kind, but I couldn't be happier with my S4. Great phone and great camera. I didn't figure bumping the camera up to 13MP would really see much improvement over the 8MP in my wifes S3, and the 8MP in my former S2, but the S4 takes noticeably better pictures. It's probably more to do with lens/processing than raw megapixels, but it's a significant improvement regardless.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah I've had a few friends and co-workers recently switch from the iPhone 5 to S4 and they all rave about it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I use my mom's iPhone 5 once in awhile trying to do shit for her and it annoys the HELL out of me. Fucking hate it. The controls are so unintuitive.
This. My wife asks for help once in a while for her iPhone 5 and I tell her to call her brother, since he loves the damn phones so much.

My daughter has been begging for an iPhone for a while now. So after my old Incredible crapped out on her, I decided to buy her an iPhone 4 for her 8th grade graduation. I have the S4 and had the GNex before that, and I don't know what I would do with such a tiny ass screen! That phone looks so damn tiny now.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i just attempted to upgrade my work's cellphone. what a fiasco.

some information, we have verizon, since it is a family company we got the family plan for 4 phones back ~2003ish when nextel (something like that) the company that did the push to talk phones got bought out.

our 4 phones numbers end in 90 91 92 & 93 i have the 92 phone, family account, ONE Bill for all 4 numbers.I had a motorola flip phone (just a grey screen, no color etc) initially. in 2009 i upgraded to a droid eris phone.
my eris is now acting wonky, the scroll ball is the issue it keeps scrolling to the left ALL the time. so i decided to upgrade today.

picked an lg spectrum? to upgrade cuz it was cheap (free) 4.7" 720p screen i was fine with it.. paid online, got the notification to go pickup the phone and...they won't upgrade my line, my number -somehow- has a past due bill (note i have had this number for around 10 years) for 189...

i sicked the person with the 91 number to figure out where this 189 figure came from. at WORST i'll just say fuck it, and cancel the upgrade, but there is no way in hell we are going to pay an amount that verizon won't say where the amount came from..its past due, the person with the 91 number went back thru our bills (work) and has EVERY bill since we got verizon,....there is no past due amount according to the bills WE got.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good idea. After a week with the OS you'll wonder why people ever raved about iPhones.
I went from a 3GS to Note II. Wife went from 3GS to 5. When I try and use her iPhone now I wonder how I ever used my 3GS before. Audiobook management on my iPhone with iTunes was such a pain compared to just uploading it directly to my Note II's sd card (which is 40gb+ since it is expandable) and then opening smart audio book player and playing it. Or I could use googles music manager which works just as well.

And I never need to sync with any iTunes like app.
Swiftkey/Swype or just way to awesome.
Wireless charging. You probably don't know the convenience until some weird situation 5 months later requires you to find a charging cable.
Note II screen size. It is enormous but after getting use and going back to my wifes iPhone 5 is almost painful.
Customization: It is so easy to customize everything Android that you have to hold yourself back.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
man I hate shopping for phones. Right now I'm thinking about buying a nexus4 for myself and a galaxy3 for my wife.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I'm about to replace my iPhone 4s with a Galaxy S4, good or bad idea?
The S4 is getting a new radio(LTE-advanced) in the Korean version making it almost twice as fast. You might want to hold off to see if they bring it over to America.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3452508.html

I would also not get a nexus 4 unless I was on the T-Mobile network or AT&T because it uses a HSPA+ radio. Which are the only two networks in mainland America that support the 4g capabilities of the phone.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yeah I'm planning on using tmobile. Where's the best place to buy cell phones? I can't find a US SGS3 with 4gLTE in white on amazon.

Doesn't that new LTE radio S4 require networks to have hardware that none have here? Wouldn't make any sense to release it here.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Nexus 4 comes in white now, if color is the reason you were wanting an S3 over an N4 for your wife...