Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Nexus 6P has been off the charger for 13 hours, played 45 minutes of Kingdom Rush in addition to normal daily use, and the battery is at 35%. This might not impress some people, but compared to my Moto X the last few months it seems like a miracle.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been running Gsam battery monitor on my Note 5 for about a week, little more. Getting on average 16 hours of battery life, with 3 hours of that being active.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I can play music on my Samsung Galaxy S4 all day and still have 30% when I get home, but if I try to browse or play games/videos for that duration it won't last. Obviously while I play music it's just sitting in my pocket with the screen off, but I occasionally send text messages.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I just realized that I fucked up by not ordering my 6P with Nexus Protect. It seems that all the insurance plans I normally use require that the plan be bought along with the phone and they won't sell it to you afterwards. I can see why this is but it's not what I was planning to do. Is there anything you can do to get insurance on a phone that is already in your possession or am I going to be self insured this time around?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Quite a few warranties allow you to purchase within like 30 days. Try square trade, I know that is their policy

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
So my Note 4 since this past Monday -- battery gets to around 35% according to phone, phone shuts off and continually reboots over and over thinking (and now showing) the battery is at 0%. Had the phone for pretty much right at a year, just hoping it's only a bad battery.

Thoughts?
Happened to me awhile back with a Note 4. Changed battery and works like a champ ever since.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got my nexus 6. Got all the updates and redownloaded the very few apps I had. Looking forward to not being in the stone age. (Moto G)

Was a little suprised at how little documentation in the box. Like just turning on my much better camera and theres a shit load of options I dont even begin to understand. Lots of default apps I dont know. (Android Beam?)

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I just realized that I fucked up by not ordering my 6P with Nexus Protect. It seems that all the insurance plans I normally use require that the plan be bought along with the phone and they won't sell it to you afterwards. I can see why this is but it's not what I was planning to do. Is there anything you can do to get insurance on a phone that is already in your possession or am I going to be self insured this time around?
How long have you had the phone? I realized the same thing after I ordered mine and contacted Google about it. They told me since I was still within the 30 days or whatever it was that I could return it, to simply send the phone back, order a new one and add Nexus Protect. I am guessing you are probably past that time frame though?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wife is having battery issues with her iPhone 5s after 2 years, which is expected I suppose. Stuff doesn't last forever. A few months back I was able to trade my 5s in for $300 credit towards purchase of a new phone, and I went with the Note 5. Was great to get my monthly payments on Verizon down to just $15 a month for the Note 5. I'm not seeing anything at all close to that now.

Any slickdeal gurus that know what I should setup a Deal Alert for on this stuff? Maybe just "Verizon"? Right now Verizon will give us $100, or Target will give $125 + $100 Target GC for trade-in/upgrade. Was hoping for something a little better.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That sucks. Their phones were amazing. Recently they just petered out and stopped, then they got bought out and trashed.

RIP best antennas and batteries.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
How long have you had the phone? I realized the same thing after I ordered mine and contacted Google about it. They told me since I was still within the 30 days or whatever it was that I could return it, to simply send the phone back, order a new one and add Nexus Protect. I am guessing you are probably past that time frame though?
I am not, but that sounds like a pain in the ass. I think I am just going to try not to break it and hope to save $90.

After almost 2 weeks with the 6P I love it except for one thing. It seems like the antenna's are not as good as my Moto X or my brother's Note 4. It's not terrible, but being in a rural area there are places where I used to get unreliable service and now I get none at all. Inside my Mom's house I used to be able to get online most of the time and with this phone it doesn't work at all. That is a little disappointing but I absolutely love every other aspect of the device.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I am not, but that sounds like a pain in the ass. I think I am just going to try not to break it and hope to save $90.

After almost 2 weeks with the 6P I love it except for one thing. It seems like the antenna's are not as good as my Moto X or my brother's Note 4. It's not terrible, but being in a rural area there are places where I used to get unreliable service and now I get none at all. Inside my Mom's house I used to be able to get online most of the time and with this phone it doesn't work at all. That is a little disappointing but I absolutely love every other aspect of the device.
It was actually incredibly easy. I just ordered another one, and then when it arrived I used that box to ship it back. Had it credited back to my card within a week of me shipping it out.

Totally up to you, but for me it was worth it because I don't trust myself to not break my phone!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That sucks. Their phones were amazing. Recently they just petered out and stopped, then they got bought out and trashed.

RIP best antennas and batteries.
Working for Motorola starting around the 2005 time frame things started getting really depressing really fast. I wasn't on the cellular / mobile side of the business which was good and bad. Bad in that all the money they were hemorrhaging impacted every other business unit and there were constant concerns of layoffs, restructures, lack of a consistent leadership structure, etc... Going from a company of 70 - 80,000 people worldwide down to like 15,000 or less at times was crazy. Seemed like every week a new section was being spun off and sold or let go. But being in a profitable business on the plus side did provide some stability. The whole change from the Galvin family to Greg Xander and through Greg Brown / Sanjay Jha, then the split to Google and separation in to two completely independent companies, but hardly anyone knew that, and still tons of money paid back to them to keep using the Motorola name.

If you haven't seen this link it is a really good summary of everything:Goodbye Moto: How Chicago's greatest tech company fell to earth

What is left now that is Motorola Solutions (MSI) just moved out of Schaumburg and in to downtown Chicago. Schaumburg was mothership. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see MSI sold sometime in the near future and the Motorola name to all but disappear completely. There's no interest in the the leadership to continue a business and the feeling was they've spent the last year and a half making it ripe for a buyout just to get a paycheck. Really sad. Still made the absolute best cell phones and continues to make the best public safety radios without question.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
My absolutely favourite phone of all time was a tiny Motorola V3688. Used it from '98 to '05, then bought a V3 Razr to replace it but frankly there was no need. Sucker works perfectly fine today. Really loved how small and stylish it was.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I wish I could get my wife to switch back to Android so I could get her on Project Fi. The cost savings and service is outstanding.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Just received two Nexus 6's from Amazon after the most recent deal ($250 for 32gb, $299 for 64gb). Amazing phone so far. Only complaints are the size will take some serious getting used to, and the camera isn't mind blowing (but still comparable / better than our LG G2's). Crazy that these are available for so cheap at barely over a year old. Was thinking about the 5x for the better camera, but the N6 beats the 5x in almost every other category and is significantly cheaper.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Got a Nexus 6 for Christmas, got it activated and started the root process today, but I messed up big time due to going down the "traditional" root path without realizing that the update released this morning no longer supports it. Oops...

I made a post asking for help in the appropriate XDA thread, but would anyone here happen to be a wiz at rooting?