Smartphones

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but the company behind Ubuntu wants to create a super phone that doubles as a linux PC. It'll dual boot Ubuntu and Android and they're looking at a high performance Quad Core, 4 GB of ram and 128GB of storage standard. It'll have a 4.5" screen with sapphire crystal protective layer, support for international LTE and have a silicon anode lithium ion battery which according to my quick google will have faster charging times and a higher capacity.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge
4.5 inch screen and 720p resolution on a phone that won't be out for a long long time seems like huge dealbreakers to me, especially at 830$. 32 mil is also a pretty ridiculous goal - hype only gets you so far.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
4.5 inch screen and 720p resolution on a phone that won't be out for a long long time seems like huge dealbreakers to me, especially at 830$. 32 mil is also a pretty ridiculous goal - hype only gets you so far.
They just added a bunch more units for a cheaper prices.. 625/675/725. I've had a 720p screen and 1080p screen on the same size phone.. honestly I couldn't tell the difference. In terms of battery life if theres no noticeable visual quality difference why bother? I'm not buying one but I can see their logic.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but the company behind Ubuntu wants to create a super phone that doubles as a linux PC. It'll dual boot Ubuntu and Android and they're looking at a high performance Quad Core, 4 GB of ram and 128GB of storage standard. It'll have a 4.5" screen with sapphire crystal protective layer, support for international LTE and have a silicon anode lithium ion battery which according to my quick google will have faster charging times and a higher capacity.

It's an indiegogo (kickstarter clone) campaign trying to raise a retarded sum of 32 million to get it going. Personally I think the 32million goal is going to kill the project but all the power to them. I would definitely buy a device like this, just not at 830$/pop.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge
Canonical's problem seems to be that they've come way late to the party and are essentially targeting the market already saturated by Android & iOS and don't seem to be able to find any hardware or telco partners; hence crowd funding. Anyone buy ought to be extraordinarily aware that Ubuntu devices probably don't have a bright future and will be abandoned.

Mozilla at least managed to get both hardware and telecom partners by targeting the low end smart phones in emerging markets.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Just got a gs4 on a verizon unlimited line. Fuck you sprint. Liking it so far, easy transition from my gs2.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
They're already up to $7M.. 32M might not be that far-fetched if enough word gets spread.
Call me a pessamist but I don't think this will gather speed over time, it isn't something with mass market appeal that will snowball as word gets out (if nothing else it's too expensive). The sales to this point are probably just die hard FSF types and gadget press.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's a VBulletin issue, not the browser. It's counter-intuitive, but if you view the full site on your phone you can display spoilers.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I usually just hit reply w/ quote to see spoilers. Not going to accidentally post because most forums require x number of characters outside of the quote tags.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't know why but I am overly annoyed at how much cell phone plans are at the moment. I pay $160 with sprint for two smart phones with a 26% discount (basically covers taxes and fees) and that's just silly. I need my phone though for work so I can't ditch it, everyone else is around the same price that I just called around on.

fuck you cell phones. -insert crotchety old man image here-

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think there are some plans like the T-mobile unlimited data plan for $30/month and a few others popping up that sound good. Right now I'm paying about $200/month (probably a little less) for me and the fiance's smart phones and it's pretty ridiculous. I tried to get on that T-Mobile shit with a Nexus 4 and she wasn't having it, really wanted to stay on her family's plan and get iPhones. Worst decision ever.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Family plans tend to be pretty decent deals as long as you have 4 or 5 people on them. You don't save any money with just 2 people usually. I have a family plan through Sprint with 4 smartphones on it (2 Samsung S2s, a S3, and a S4) and it runs $210 a month. $52/mo per phone isn't terrible, and thats including all taxes and feees. Thats unlimited data and 1500 shared minutes. The only calls that count towards minutes are calls to land-lines on week days, during the morning/afternoon, so we never come close to using them all. All calls to other cell phones(regardless of carrier), weekend calls, and night calls after 7PM use no minutes.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
^^^Thats a pretty good deal, man. $52 per smartphone with unlimited data is a damn good price, considering the wife and I used to pay $40-45 with fees for dumb phones with no data like a year ago.

Mine is Verizon shared family plan but only 2 phones on it, 2 S3 for me and wife. But I also got a 20% discount. Unlimited talk and text, 2GB/month for $150.

Some fuckers at work are gathering up on the family plans, though. I know one dude that has 4 other peeps on his, plus himself and his wife, plus the work discount and it is cheaper by about $10-20 per month.

Those fuckers got us by the balls, though. Were all addicted to the smartphones so we will pay. Plus the competition is all roughly the same.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Mine is Verizon shared family plan but only 2 phones on it, 2 S3 for me and wife. But I also got a 20% discount. Unlimited talk and text, 2GB/month for $150.

Some fuckers at work are gathering up on the family plans, though. I know one dude that has 4 other peeps on his, plus himself and his wife, plus the work discount and it is cheaper by about $10-20 per month.
Yeah, that basic same plan for an individual phone is like $75 a month. When my wife and I combined our two accounts to a 2-phone family plan, our bill only dropped from $150 with 2 individual plans to $140, not much savings. The family plan is like $110 for the first phone, and then $30 for each additional phones. So you aren't saving much with just phone #2, but phones #3-5 are ridiculously cheap compared to doing an individual plan.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Our family plan is a pretty good deal with AT&T. Not sure you can still do it anymore though.

We pay $205 with tax for

4 smart phones (1 with unlimited data the other 3 with 2gb)
1 dumb phone

We use next to zero minutes because I have A list setup to our google voice lines and use voice + for all calls. Next to 0 minutes used.