Smartphones

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What is that VOIP stuff?
Y'all are speaking Greek to me
Nah it's just voice commands for your phone. You can tell your phone to turn on, turn off, answer or ignore a call, shoot pictures with your camera, etc. It's basically general voice commands for the phone that replaces having to touch the screen in a lot of the built-in functionality like the calling and camera functionality(as well as other stuff)

These option, I believe:
9UjboBV.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
VOIP and voice commands are two very different things.VoiceOverInternetProtocol just means using the internet to connect your calls instead of a cellular network.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Been using my old S3 pretty much strictly as an alarm clock... airplane mode + wifi only =

PGnLiTQ.png

LOL.

BTW If anyone wants an old S3 I have one for sale... with an extra battery. No water damage. Flawless physical condition.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Got an S5 and it constantly freezes up and restarts. Hardware failure the most likely cause? Have hardly installed any apps and it seems to do it at random.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If you just got it I'd return it and get a new one. Like others have pointed out earlier in the thread you either have 14 or 30 days depending on the carrier/where you bought it from. I'd be on the safe side just go return it and pick up a new one. You shouldn't have any freezes or restarts with a brand new piece of tech.

crimsonsin_sl

shitlord
If you just got it I'd return it and get a new one. Like others have pointed out earlier in the thread you either have 14 or 30 days depending on the carrier/where you bought it from. I'd be on the safe side just go return it and pick up a new one. You shouldn't have any freezes or restarts with a brand new piece of tech.
Christ, over react much? Turn the phone off, hold volume down and power until you boot into recovery. Wipe cache. Reboot. If it continues factory reset as its probably some shit app causing it.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Consdering it did it the first time before i ever installed an app leads me to believe otherwise.

And if it was some factory/carrier installed app im sure i would have had more results from googling the problem.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Christ, over react much? Turn the phone off, hold volume down and power until you boot into recovery. Wipe cache. Reboot. If it continues factory reset as its probably some shit app causing it.
I know perfectly well how to do all that. If I had a phone that was freezing and restarting on me after I first bought it I'd exchange it for another phone. I don't care how easy the fix is - if I spend $600 on a piece of tech that doesn't work right off the bat and in my case takes a 10 minute drive to replace, then I'll do it. I expect shit to work brand new out of the box.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Indeed jeydax - when something is in an easy swap warranty, swap it out and avoid the entire potential drama with "Oh shit, it was actually something wrong - goodbye $600+".

No matter how much money you've got, wasting $600 on being too proud to swap it out during the initial couple days is ludicrous. If it's not really anything serious, I'm sure the store will reset it and hand it out as a refurb to another customer that has a warranty claim or something anyhow.

Also:Theres a $18,000 Bounty for Unlocking the Samsung Galaxy S5 - The Wire- I'm confused, didn't people say a root method was already discovered?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
There's a root method for the Developer's Edition - not for the normal retail edition (at least the Verizon version.. unsure for the other carriers). It hasn't gone longer than a few other phones/tablets... yet.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Samsung went the opposite way and caved to phone companies locking their phones down. Some folks can still root the phones but you can't achieve "s-off" with their newer phones without A LOT of hacking.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'll be returning my M8 in the next day or two. It is a nice phone, just not the right fit for me. I'll hang on to my S3 for a bit until the LG G3, Note 4, or something else.

Vaclav

I'll be returning my M8 in the next day or two. It is a nice phone, just not the right fit for me. I'll hang on to my S3 for a bit until the LG G3, Note 4, or something else.
Seems like everyone is taking notes from the M8 and mimicking it - might be hard to get away from. G3 literally looks like a M8 variant to me (even beefyish speakers - I don't think up to M8, but close enough that they're worth including in their pitch).

LG G3 | Release date, price, specs and new features UK - PC Advisorsince it's not popped up yet.

Even the Xperia Z3 which assuming it doesn't ignore the US this time looks M8 inspired:Early Sony Xperia Z3 leak reveals superhero strength chassis | News | TechRadar

(and apparently some of rumor mill for Note 4 - just checked since I've not kept in the loop on Note, never been a fan - apparently rounded aluminum case is a rumored spec [although with some wacky button placement based on the sketch of a translation of the patent looks like - looks even worse than G2's placement])

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Except the M8 doesn't have QHD - I guess that's what I'll be waiting for now - the G3, Note 4, hell even the S5 Prime or M8 Advance or whatever the fuck it's called will have it. A stupid chunk of its screen is taken up by its buttons - really that is my biggest gripe. For 90% of the time I'm using the phone, the screen really is the same size as my S3. Now granted my S3's screen doesn't have the same great resolution but I just don't see the point right now in hanging on to it. I still haven't gotten used to the feel of it after two weeks. I still feel like I'm either going to go all Lenny from Of Mice and Men and snap the fucker in half or it will go flying out of my hand because of how "slippery" of a feel the phone has.

In my opinion, the M8 was vastly overrated.

Oh btw, shame on me for not posting it. Luxa had a great deal on a bluetooth speaker for $40 on NewEgg the other day. It sounds fantastic and completely nullifies any need for "great" speakers on a phone for me anymore.

Vaclav

Nod, QHD is a miss on it. Just stating stuff like aluminum feel is looking common this year if you're going high end.

Camera as well. And screen size potentially.

I can respect someone opting out - just be aware S5 is the only high end not following HTCs lead.

Although I will say QHD unless the color is improved is pointless to me, and I've got 16/20 vision uncorrected. I can't tell a 100 PPI difference at the 12 inches or so I hold my phone at already, more PPPI will just be wasted IMO until we're hitting 7 inch phones or some nonsense like that.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As far as I'm concerned, QHD is far less important than color accuracy, ease of viewing in direct sunlight and most importantly: energy efficiency. On phone sized devices, higher resolution screens can be a negative, consuming more power and forcing the GPU to work harder. Right now I think a QHD phone is more about spec bragging rights than a quality experience.

... or it will go flying out of my hand because of how "slippery" of a feel the phone has.
Ever had a Nexus 4? Putting a case on it is as important for keeping it from slipping out of your hand as it is for protecting it.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Welp... I got lazy and didn't return the phone. I'll probably just hang on to it and sell it off once the next round of phones come out and figure out which one looks good. Definitely going to listen to my gut next time when I go to personally check the phones out instead of just relying on other people's opinions.

Seriously though, fuck the phones companies for locking phones. I'd gladly pay an extra $25 or something for an unlocked bootloader/phone if it meant less support from the manufacturer.