Smokers / Grills

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Something like this?

View attachment 518659
Yes.

By the way, I know you have kids and one of the best things about my griddle is that my kids request food made on it. I make breakfast for dinner all the time now, just through on bacon and sausage and pancakes and eggs. It actually tastes way better. Griddle bacon is god tier.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
baked bacon better. sprinkle a bit of brown sugar and maple syrup on it, place on cooling racks on a baking sheet at 375 for about 30 minutes...melts in your mouth.

griddles are fine and all, you can just pick up a griddle top for a grill np, i used a professional griddle back in the day when i OCCASIONALLY was the fry cook at my job at the time. i worked at kmart- this was ~1986ish - it still had the cafeteria- burgers fries, shakes, hot dogs etc, and one day the cook was out and the manager goes, len can you cook, i said i can try..and bam new fill in job for me.
did that 2-3 times a month until they remodeled the store and got rid of the cafeteria a few years later.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Unless there are specific things you want to do with a gas grill, a griddle is the superior tool in every way.

Temp control is better, clean up is easier, you can use every inch of available space without things falling into the fire, you can cook any type of food on it, etc. I could keep going, but I can't think of a single compelling reason to go with a grill over a griddle at this point. I bought a 22" one on major sale a few months ago and I've already used it more times then I used my previous 2 gas grills that I payed more for and had for a few years each. The only thing I regret is not getting at least a 36" one, and you can also buy them with air fryers and shit attached.

I can't imagine why it took until the 2020s for outdoor gas griddles to become ubiquitous, that is how game changing it is for outdoor cooking. I will never go back to a normal grill, and in my next house I'm going to go with a high-end chef's stove to get a griddle inside my house.

Uh, you're not grilling with a that thing at all. You're not going to get any grill flavor, grill marks etc. You might as well have spent $50 on one of these...

Screenshot 2024-03-08 12.00.10 PM.png

And plugged it in on your deck. It's a perfectly fine cooking tool and I actually own one of those for making pancakes, but it's not a grill.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
yeah, i like the idea of cooking on an actual fire instead of a $300 gas powered 36 square inch pan

maybe ill find a grill combo thing that has a griddle top that is removable. seems like a no brainer invention

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
yeah, i like the idea of cooking on an actual fire instead of a $300 gas powered 36 square inch pan

maybe ill find a grill combo thing that has a griddle top that is removable. seems like a no brainer invention
Just buy something like this:
1709924933277.png

I've used these before. Smoked burgers are really quite awesome.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
You could say the same thing about any propane grill imo unless you are adding wood chips or something. If i went propane at all it would be a flattop.
You'll still get a different texture with propane open flame versus a griddle. Not knocking the griddle though, I've got a 36" in addition to my other grills and it's great for burgers/breakfast/fried rice.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You'll still get a different texture with propane open flame versus a griddle. Not knocking the griddle though, I've got a 36" in addition to my other grills and it's great for burgers/breakfast/fried rice.
I can definitely see the utility of a griddle but also wouldn't want to give up the grill. Ideal/dream set up has both.... and a smoker.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Just buy something like this:
View attachment 518708

I've used these before. Smoked burgers are really quite awesome.

I bought one of these for my last grill and have some observations:

1.) buy quality because if it is even slightly warped (or warps after a few uses) the hot spots are terrible
2.) make sure you know where the grease/liquid drains to and that you have a proper catch for it
3.) they are a bitch to clean and even the ones that claim to not rust will have be prone to do it if your cleaning is half assed.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You could say the same thing about any propane grill imo unless you are adding wood chips or something. If i went propane at all it would be a flattop.
Not true. Propane grills have plates right over the flame that are super hot and stuff drips down from the food and gets vaporized on them, causing smoke which in turn flavors the food. You also get flavor from the milliard reaction in the grill marks. If you have grill grates the effect is magnified by the same thing happening in the grates themselves. It's not the same as cooking over charcoal, but it's not just heat like a griddle either.

As I said, a griddle is a fine cooking tool, and if you like doing it outside, more power to you, but saying it's no different than a gas grill is going too far.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Uh, you're not grilling with a that thing at all. You're not going to get any grill flavor, grill marks etc. You might as well have spent $50 on one of these...

View attachment 518704

And plugged it in on your deck. It's a perfectly fine cooking tool and I actually own one of those for making pancakes, but it's not a grill.
I specifically said gas grill. Grill marks aren't shit compared to a full crust due to superior contact, and there is no "grill flavor" from a gas grill.

Charcoal? Sure, if you want that flavor then knock yourself out with that giant pain in the balls.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Not true. Propane grills have plates right over the flame that are super hot and stuff drips down from the food and gets vaporized on them, causing smoke which in turn flavors the food. You also get flavor from the milliard reaction in the grill marks. If you have grill grates the effect is magnified by the same thing happening in the grates themselves. It's not the same as cooking over charcoal, but it's not just heat like a griddle either.

I'm with LiquidDeath here. The flavor is meh and you can just buy grillgrates for a flattop as well. But if you are looking for flavor, propane would not be the direction I would head in so your options are wood or charcoal. You can get a pellet grill and grill shit on an open wood flame in a comparable time or smoke it with the same device so that's the direction I went in.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Headed over to the Yoder store tomorrow and getting this sorted out.

I need to get smokin.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Griddles are far superior cooking tools to gas grills. Smoker and griddle is the only meat cooking tools you need.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Griddles are far superior cooking tools to gas grills. Smoker and griddle is the only meat cooking tools you need.
Unfortunately this thread is only for grills and smokers. Someone will need to create a griddle thread.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've had my YS640 for 6 years now and it always just works. Also, I backed my pickup into it once and it didn't even leave a mark. They'r'e even better now with the built in Fireboard but I have nothing bad to say about mine. I've used it in sub-zero temps and it barely extends the cook time.

I’ve got the 640 with the fireboard and man i really enjoy it. Really ends the need for any other grill/smoker with the offset firebox and opening you can put grill grates over direct fire. Gave away our nice (older) webber gas grill cause we didn’t use it anymore.

If you have money get a yoder. If you have less money get a gmg but I think they even went the mega cheap route along with the rest of em. Micro thin tin foil trash.

Edit: also a yoder will pay for itself in pellet savings since it’s such thicker steal and holds heat better…. Just may take 20 years of use, but hey you know it will last that long at least

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I’ve got the 640 with the fireboard and man i really enjoy it. Really ends the need for any other grill/smoker with the offset firebox and opening you can put grill grates over direct fire. Gave away our nice (older) webber gas grill cause we didn’t use it anymore.

If you have money get a yoder. If you have less money get a gmg but I think they even went the mega cheap route along with the rest of em. Micro thin tin foil trash.

Edit: also a yoder will pay for itself in pellet savings since it’s such thicker steal and holds heat better…. Just may take 20 years of use, but hey you know it will last that long at least
What is the fireboard exactly?