So My Wife Died...

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
and I'm left with two young kids.

A couple of weeks back I inadvertently derailed the Jimmies Rustled thread and some folks suggested I start my own topic here.

I wasn't going to, but I'm kind of coming unglued a bit so I figured why the fuck not.

In some ways it's kind of what I expected. Right after she passed there was so much going on with regards to her funeral arrangements, insurance stuff, and everyone reaching out. While there was a lot of grief it served as a good distraction to get me through. Since her memorial on 05/21 and a lot of the administrative stuff is either resolved or under review its just been getting harder and harder.

My wife and I moved to Maine 11 years ago for her work. We have no family up here so its really just me. People say they want to do anything they can but it isn't like someone can just swing by for a beer. Its gotta be a coordinated event. We have a few friends up here but they don't have kids and I think it's already too much for them. I feel like fucking Eeyore.

I mean, I follow what the counselor folks say and make sure the kids see me sad at various times and I ask them questions about how they're doing - but its not like I would want to unload on them everything I'm going through even if they were much much older (they are 2.5 and almost 5). The rest of the time I'm by myself and while I still talk to my wife constantly that isn't really viable. So, when I do see another adult human - because my life right now is just so wrapped up in my wife, my kids, and our loss its just the only thing I can find myself talking about. I swear I used to be able to have normal conversations but even when I'm trying, something just brings me back to what I'm going through. And I know that's to be expected and its only been a month (It's the reason I'm typing this - it was 4 weeks ago today at around 9:00 am that she took a turn and we had to call the ambulance. She wasn't making sense and then I saw her eyes. They were yellow and I knew we were in trouble. Today I dropped my kid at preschool and looked at the clock on the dash and kind of lost it.) but it doesn't change that for a lot of people its too much to hear about and they're ready to move on.

Since her service I find myself searching for her. I cleaned our office and I'm looking through checklists and notebooks she had - seeing if there are notes or scribbles or anything to connect me to her. I plugged in all my old phones looking for pictures and text chains and voicemails. (if anyone knows how to get texts from really old android phones to a PC please let me know - usb doesn't show the database file). I was always the photographer with my friends in High School and College but afterwards when my wife and I first met it was in that weird period between old school prints and quality digital phone cameras. So while we were together for years and rarely apart in that time there are so few pictures of us during those amazing carefree years before our kids came. Post kids there are a million pics but like most people its mainly just the kiddos. I'm so afraid of losing memories of things we did and especially from earlier in our relationship. I'm the type of person that without a picture or physical object I can reference I forget everything. Could be last week or 15 years ago.

I know I need to talk to a professional to get through this and I'm sure between that and time passing things will get better, but right now the only analogy that comes to mind of how I'm existing is the scene in the first Avenger's movie where the Hulk says "That's my secret...I'm always angry." I feel like that but with my grief. There isn't a second that if I let myself I couldn't turn in to a fucking puddle.

With that said, whether it's vulnerability or stupidity. Here is a picture of me and my family from my son's 4th birthday last year. She had her mastectomy at the end of May (she's wearing a wig but that's what her hair looked like) and this was in the few months we were able to enjoy before her cancer came back. She has countdowns for their birthdays on her phone that any time I open it I have to see the days left on goals she'll never meet.

Also- Yes, they are gingers.

20220709_135653 (2).jpg

• 64Solidarity
  • 7Like
  • 6Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 76 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I can't even imagine man, but I am hoping you're able to move forward and find happiness for you and the kids!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Cut yourself a lot of slack. There's no wrong way to do this. Losing a partner is known to be one of the most stressful things a human being can experience and doing it while your children are small just makes it that much worse. In a way you're lucky that your kids need you, so you have a built in reason to get out of bed in the morning but don't forget to take care of yourself as well. Digging up old pictures and whatnot is great if it brings you happiness. When my Dad died people told my mom to wait a year before making any permanent life-changing decisions and I think that is good advice. Try to get in touch with people who have also lost a spouse. If you can't find someone in real life, try support groups or the internet but it's helpful to talk to people who have been through what you're going through and came out the other side. I know my Mom still has a lot of feelings for anyone who has lost a spouse and she's always happy to talk to people about it. Significant dates will be hard for a long time (her birthday, your anniversary, the day she died, etc.) and it's nice to have someone to call at those times.

• 20Like
Reactions: 19 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I can’t imagine what you’re going through, but I’d at least say to find some time and just be a puddle if you need to. No shame in it, doesn’t make you any less strong and I can’t imagine keeping that all bottled up is going to do you any favors.

Your family is beautiful and I hope you keep sharing your story (if it’s helpful to you still).

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I cannot imagine going through that, much less with two children depending on me while processing it all (I followed up in the Rustled thread for context). Having said that, it seems you are doing everything that could be expected of you under these circumstances. There is no easy way forward on shit like this. You are taking care of the important things. Do not beat yourself up over that.

But, if you lack friends in the area, the thought occurs that your kids are probably young enough that you could consider relocating back to familiar surroundings where you have family and friends readily accessible. This is especially true with the way your company kind of took a shit on you with the bereavement situation. Not saying you SHOULD do that, but maybe consider it if you want closer and more familiar friends at hand to help get you though this. I do know that bottling that shit up in any way is NOT healthy. Not for you or your kids, so you need someone to talk to, ideally someone you consider a close friend (but a counselor is better than no one).

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm sorry for your loss. Only advice I could give is to move to a place where you have a family support system to help, grandparents, siblings, etc.

• 4Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im so sorry for your loss. I cant begin to imagine what you are going through. I agree with what a lot of others have said. Allow yourself to grieve, its ok to do that. Also finding a good support system its crucial. The support group is probably a great route to go by finding people you can relate with and make new friends. Im sure a lot of them have kids as well. Best of luck to you!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am in tears after reading this, I am so sorry. I wish you all the strength in the world. Fuck Cancer!

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
There's an Android app called "SMS backup and restore" that might be able to pull your texts into a file for you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I would reach out to family members and see if anyone can come stay with you for an extended period like a month. Focus on establishing a new routine. Once you've stabilized you can consider next moves. I don't know your financial or childcare situation but I agree with others that you should pause before making major decisions unless you must right now.

DM me if you need help or a rando to talk to.

• 4Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So sorry to hear this, man.

It's not remotely the same situation since we were grown, but I lost my mom to biliary cancer in my 20's and watched my dad struggle with finding himself again. Just remember especially in these early days it's really ok for things to be about you, and that it's ok if you decide you want to be a different person moving forward.

Fuck cancer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I’m so sorry man, I can’t even imagine.

worry about you and the kids first. And remember everything you’re feeling is normal and justified.

• 2Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
and I'm left with two young kids.

A couple of weeks back I inadvertently derailed the Jimmies Rustled thread and some folks suggested I start my own topic here.

I wasn't going to, but I'm kind of coming unglued a bit so I figured why the fuck not.

In some ways it's kind of what I expected. Right after she passed there was so much going on with regards to her funeral arrangements, insurance stuff, and everyone reaching out. While there was a lot of grief it served as a good distraction to get me through. Since her memorial on 05/21 and a lot of the administrative stuff is either resolved or under review its just been getting harder and harder.

My wife and I moved to Maine 11 years ago for her work. We have no family up here so its really just me. People say they want to do anything they can but it isn't like someone can just swing by for a beer. Its gotta be a coordinated event. We have a few friends up here but they don't have kids and I think it's already too much for them. I feel like fucking Eeyore.

I mean, I follow what the counselor folks say and make sure the kids see me sad at various times and I ask them questions about how they're doing - but its not like I would want to unload on them everything I'm going through even if they were much much older (they are 2.5 and almost 5). The rest of the time I'm by myself and while I still talk to my wife constantly that isn't really viable. So, when I do see another adult human - because my life right now is just so wrapped up in my wife, my kids, and our loss its just the only thing I can find myself talking about. I swear I used to be able to have normal conversations but even when I'm trying, something just brings me back to what I'm going through. And I know that's to be expected and its only been a month (It's the reason I'm typing this - it was 4 weeks ago today at around 9:00 am that she took a turn and we had to call the ambulance. She wasn't making sense and then I saw her eyes. They were yellow and I knew we were in trouble. Today I dropped my kid at preschool and looked at the clock on the dash and kind of lost it.) but it doesn't change that for a lot of people its too much to hear about and they're ready to move on.

Since her service I find myself searching for her. I cleaned our office and I'm looking through checklists and notebooks she had - seeing if there are notes or scribbles or anything to connect me to her. I plugged in all my old phones looking for pictures and text chains and voicemails. (if anyone knows how to get texts from really old android phones to a PC please let me know - usb doesn't show the database file). I was always the photographer with my friends in High School and College but afterwards when my wife and I first met it was in that weird period between old school prints and quality digital phone cameras. So while we were together for years and rarely apart in that time there are so few pictures of us during those amazing carefree years before our kids came. Post kids there are a million pics but like most people its mainly just the kiddos. I'm so afraid of losing memories of things we did and especially from earlier in our relationship. I'm the type of person that without a picture or physical object I can reference I forget everything. Could be last week or 15 years ago.

I know I need to talk to a professional to get through this and I'm sure between that and time passing things will get better, but right now the only analogy that comes to mind of how I'm existing is the scene in the first Avenger's movie where the Hulk says "That's my secret...I'm always angry." I feel like that but with my grief. There isn't a second that if I let myself I couldn't turn in to a fucking puddle.

With that said, whether it's vulnerability or stupidity. Here is a picture of me and my family from my son's 4th birthday last year. She had her mastectomy at the end of May (she's wearing a wig but that's what her hair looked like) and this was in the few months we were able to enjoy before her cancer came back. She has countdowns for their birthdays on her phone that any time I open it I have to see the days left on goals she'll never meet.

Also- Yes, they are gingers.

View attachment 476632
Beautiful family man, and cute kids. The only thing I would say is don't blame yourself, don't get down on yourself and feel like you deserve this because of X Y or Z. No you don't. Even if you were shitty husband, even if you did things you regret - this is just life fucking with you, this is not your fault. Do what you need to do to grieve and feel bad about it, but don't make it your cross to bear. You didn't do this.

Focus on your kids and yourself for a while, get through today and then get through tomorrow when that is today. Worry about next week next week.

Remember your kids need you, and the whole world is still out there waiting for you. While the cruel injustice of life closed this door for you, others will open.

And fuck cancer man, I am sorry. Would give you a big hug if I could.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
My first long term relationship ended with her dying very unexpectedly. While it doesn't compare to what you've gone through and have to deal with (and my GF was likely of a far lower caliber of person), I found it useful for a while to be a part of online or in person groups with other people who had similar grief. It helps because you can just vent and you don't really have to worry about people wishing you'd move on because they're all in those groups because they haven't been able to move on or move forward enough. It also helps because you get to share the things you love and miss about your wife to new people, like you're spreading her persona/memory. The sharing doesn't just have to be about the cancer, the ending days, or dealing with the death, it can be a way of celebrating the person she was. That can help her feel a little less in the past, so to speak.

Likewise, if you get to a point where you can more readily handle the burden of your grief, don't feel guilty about leaving those support groups or presences. Sometimes that grief can anchor you down when you're ready to try and find a different path in life. Plus, you might find that the shared experience of grief is often all that you share with some of those people.

I read some of your other posts and it's amazing that your wife was able to offer so much content (for lack of a better word) to your kids as they age and progress in life. That will help them a lot. For you, it might be a good idea to write down as much as you can of experiences that you don't have pictures or other evidence of just so they stay stronger in your memory. Even just a few lines can trigger memories that otherwise might get lost.

I also want to thank you for posting this as it made me think about how I could probably do a better job of being more present with my family and not let fleeting problems or daily minutiae get so distracting.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm so very sorry, man. thats terrible. do the best you can. thats all we can do.

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Sorry for your loss. Your grief won't always rule you, and you have people who still need you. If your parents or her parents are still alive look there for some comfort and maybe some photos.

• 2Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Man, sorry to hear about your loss.

Like what DickTrickle DickTrickle mentioned, you should consider making a memory box. I know you may think it's late for that but you mentioned wanting to not forget her. Every time you remember or think about something that you both shared, write it down in as much detail as you can and add it to the box. I don't know how much your children shared of her memory, but having this and sharing it with your kids could be something that helps you and them in time.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for all the good ideas and support.

I'm pretty much following what BrutulTM BrutulTM suggested. I'm taking a long pause before making any big changes. It would be nice to be closer to family and friends but I think for now I still have to let the dust settle. Believe me both my family and hers continue to push.

The good news is, my wife and I always planned to move. Our kids share a bedroom and we didn't think that could go on forever. So it isn't like she had in her head that this was our forever home. I won't be betraying her memory when we do go. We were never forever home kind of people. We've bought and renovated several old homes (Our current house was built in 1855) and may have even moved an additional time. The plan was to stay put for our kids from Middle School - High School graduation but any time before that was fair game.

I reached out to 2 different places to try and get some counseling / support group contacts but haven't heard back yet. I think I just need some strategies and some perspective.

The kids continue to hit me with zingers randomly that just wreck me. My son yesterday said to me: "If I work and save up 100 dollars to give to you, do you promise to be there when I grow up?"

My daughter repeats this mantra at least once a day: "Mom was sick, mom went to the hospital, mom didn't come home, mommy died". I didn't know where she got it from until I was talking to a friend this weekend who asked about how I told the kids the morning after she passed. I realized those are the bullet points of what I said to them that morning. My daughter had turned away and was facing in to the couch. I wasn't even sure she was listening.

I am so proud of what my wife did to prepare our kids as best she could. I still have to edit the videos and produce them (I have no idea how to do that and am learning as I go). I'm dragging my feet as I'm a bit anxious to watch them. We have pictures of her all around the house now, but I think it would be good for them to see and hear her more.

I bought a blue ray burner and once the "episodes" are done, 3 copies will be burned and a mini blueray player with each disc(s) will be given to a different family member / friend for backup.

To that end, I had considered adding a note to the end of my eulogy but decided it might come off too preachy so I pulled it back. It was about how if you asked almost anyone, but especially those with kids, if buying life insurance is a good idea. Almost unanimously people would say yes. But if you told them to write or record something to your family in case you die, people tend to recoil. Its too morbid, or that doing so might cause something bad to actually happen. My feeling is, the insurance is just a chunk of money. It can help with so many things, but it can't exactly help with the emotional loss. Almost everyone would give most if not all of it back to hear something to them from the person they loved. People also say, I don't know what I would say, and to that I'd tell them. It doesn't have to be the Gettysburg Address or some novel. "I love you so much, I am so proud of you, and I'm sorry I couldn't be there with you now" would pretty much do the trick. I know this, because for all the letters that my wife wrote and recordings she did. I didn't get one. It's OK, but man what I wouldn't give for something just to me.

• 19Solidarity
  • 5Like
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 25 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know this, because for all the letters that my wife wrote and recordings she did. I didn't get one. It's OK, but man what I wouldn't give for something just to me.
God dammit man, I started crying like a little bitch right here at work reading this.

I cannot begin to fathom what you are going through, nor do I ever want to. I wish there was something people could do in situations like this to make it even a tiny bit better, but all I can do is wish you and your family well, and let you know that you and your wife have made my life a tiny bit better by making me remember what is truly important. I've been a bit pissy about some stuff at work lately, but now I realize, who gives a shit? The love I share with my friends and relatives are all that really matter, so thank you for reminding me of that. It can get a little difficult to remember that at times.

As you can see, all of us are here if you need something that a bunch of jaded internet assholes with good hearts deep down can provide. Take care man.

• 10Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't get one. It's OK, but man what I wouldn't give for something just to me.
The recording she left for you is your memories of the life you shared together and your two children. A special recorded message could never say everything she wanted to and would be something a grieving widower was likely to form an unhealthy attachment too.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users