Soccer 2017-2018

Szlia

Belgium making sure to be ahead in the card count! The game is not unpleasant though. The subs want to shine.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah, game needs changes to make it more interesting. Belgium better team in that half though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Kompany has been warming up for 20 minutes.

I expect him to be injured for 4 months soon.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So due to Senegal and Egypt eliminations Salah and Mane should be available for LFC pre-season games in the US. I know someone here has already got tickets to a fixture

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
England are fucking retarded - so apparently feel no urgency to win today, due to a "perceived easier" path to the final. To the final!!!!??!!! They need to be taking this tournament one game at a time, and a game against Japan next week looks a fair sight easier than taking on a Colombia who hasn't quite got going yet.

In fact, I'll call my shot - Colombia beats England, and we get an entire summer of Piers Morgan, John Cross and Neil Custis lamenting today's lineup and performance. If that was the US, I'd be fucking fuming

Szlia

Brando Brando got almost everything wrong, but, credit to him, he at least attempted some predictions! Here be the table for the round of 16:

URUGUAY vs PORTUGAL

FRANCE vs ARGENTINA

BRAZIL vs MEXICO

BELGIUM vs JAPAN

SPAIN vs RUSSIA

CROATIA vs DANEMARK

SWEDEN vs SWITZERLAND

COLOMBIA vs ENGLAND

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can't believe Denmark, Switzerland and Sweden advanced. Japan is a surprise, but that group was strange with Germany going out.

Russia advances in a world cup finally. Not a coincidence at all, I mean those guys can just run and run!

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Predictions predictions predictions. I like...

Argentina : inspired by hand of God ... Mesi & crew can play some decent football as they warm up with a 2:2 draw and penalties with France.
Brazil: should be able to handle both Mexico and with a little luck, Belgium
Columbia: easy half of draw if can squeak past English
Russia: extra healthy *cough* juices n stuff + home team confidence should take em far. Should take care of Spaniards (next to dissapoint after Germans) & race-n-muscle past Croats.....

I like the way Belgium and Croatia have played, just see Russia and Brazil as more likely to edge past in later rounds. So predictions.....

(R16)
  • - Portugal over Uruguay (1:1) Penalties
  • - Argentina over France (2:2) Penalties
  • - Brazil over Mexico (3:1)
  • - Belgium over Japan (2:0)
(QF)
  • -- Argentina over Portugal (1:1) Penalties
  • -- Brazil over Belgium (2:2) Penalties
(SF)
  • -- Brazil over Argentina (1:0)
(R16)
  • - Russia over Spain (2:1)
  • - Croatia over Denmark (2:1)
  • - Sweden over Switzerland (1:0)
  • - Colombia over England (1:1) Penalties
(QF)
  • -- Russia over Croatia (2:1)
  • -- Colombia over Sweden (1:0)
(SF)
  • -- Colombia over Russia (1:1) Penalties
(F)
  • -- Brazil over Colombia (2:0)

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Predictions predictions predictions. I like...

Argentina : inspired by hand of God ... Mesi & crew can play some decent football as they warm up with a 2:2 draw and penalties with France.
Brazil: should be able to handle both Mexico and with a little luck, Belgium
Columbia: easy half of draw if can squeak past English
Russia: extra healthy *cough* juices n stuff + home team confidence should take em far. Should take care of Spaniards (next to dissapoint after Germans) & race-n-muscle past Croats.....

I like the way Belgium and Croatia have played, just see Russia and Brazil as more likely to edge past in later rounds. So predictions.....

(R16)
  • - Portugal over Uruguay (1:1) Penalties
  • - Argentina over France (2:2) Penalties
  • - Brazil over Mexico (3:1)
  • - Belgium over Japan (2:0)
(QF)
  • -- Argentina over Portugal (1:1) Penalties
  • -- Brazil over Belgium (2:2) Penalties
(SF)
  • -- Brazil over Argentina (1:0)
(R16)
  • - Russia over Spain (2:1)
  • - Croatia over Denmark (2:1)
  • - Sweden over Switzerland (1:0)
  • - Colombia over England (1:1) Penalties
(QF)
  • -- Russia over Croatia (2:1)
  • -- Colombia over Sweden (1:0)
(SF)
  • -- Colombia over Russia (1:1) Penalties
(F)
  • -- Brazil over Colombia (2:0)

Giving it a shot, I'll give probabilities rather than score...

Portugal over Uruguay (60-40)
France over Argentina (55-45)
Brazil over Mexico (70-30)
Belgium over Japan (85-15)
Spain over Russia (80-20)
Croatia over Denmark (90-10)
Switzerland over Sweden (55-45)
Colombia over England (55-45)

France over Portugal (60-40)
Belgium over Brazil (70-30)
Croatia over Spain (80-20)
Colombia over Switzerland (65-35)

Belgium over France (55-45)
Croatia ver Colombia (80-20)

Croatia over Belgium (55-45)

Imo Croatia has a relatively easy way to the final, but the other side of the board... all bets are open...

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a fairly casual follower of football, I'm going with Portugal for the trophy. Ronaldo seems to be at his usual outstanding level of play. Messi hasn't shined nearly as much.

I think the VAR has been great, helps a lot against some of the injustices (like Korea's first goal against Germany being initially called as offside). Might well change the sport for the better as diving to fish for a penalty is not going to be as effective.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The VAR has been useful, but it's stupid when players keep forcing the ref to stop games for 2+ mins to go watch a replay of some stupid incident. Though if it stops shit like "hand of god" it's worth it. It needs fine tuning for sure. Think it's too close to call this world cup. A bit of luck someplace and it's anyone's tourney.

Plus you'll see the pressure of the knockout stages really showing from now. The inexperienced teams might fall aparts (like England have done shit loads of times in high pressure games).

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Giving it a shot, I'll give probabilities rather than score...

Spain over Russia (80-20)
An interesting take on Spain: on paper sure, but at end of day not certain Spain is that strong compared to a motivated Russia home team. I suppose the experience and intangibles are what make the knockout stages so interesting and might tip the scales towards teams with more depth. They certainly have potential to play like Germany over Brazil in that crazy 2014 Semi-final.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
As a fairly casual follower of football, I'm going with Portugal for the trophy. Ronaldo seems to be at his usual outstanding level of play. Messi hasn't shined nearly as much.
A fun scenario with maximum potential drama provided by Ronaldo. It would be great to at very least watch Portugal replay the last Euro clash with France.

Ronaldo is IMHO far from the greatest but definitely one of the most passionate. Even though bordering on delusional, I like the fact he truly *believes* and tries as if he is the goat! Makes his games fun to watch and will make teh tears all the more dramatic whichever way Portugal goes.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
An interesting take on Spain: on paper sure, but at end of day not certain Spain is that strong compared to a motivated Russia home team. I suppose the experience and intangibles are what make the knockout stages so interesting and might tip the scales towards teams with more depth. They certainly have potential to play like Germany over Brazil in that crazy 2014 Semi-final.
Yeah maybe I'm giving too much credit to Spain's experience, if you look at the stage matches, sure, Russia looks better than that, maybe they lost on purpose vs Uruguay, but still all they beat was an underwhelming Egypt and a shitty Saudi Arabia.

• 1Like