Sports Card Collecting.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
And what's stopping, say, WotC from printing a few oldies but goldies once in a while to mess with the market? I mean, it's just dumb. But okay.

They do reprint old cards I think. But you can tell the difference because they put a different icon on it or use different artwork. That would probably make the old cards worth more.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
My prides and joys.

I have a Shawn Kemp Rookie Card somewhere.

20220102_193225.jpg

20220102_193244.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Have some from when I picked them up in the early 80's. A few complete sets going back to the early 70's. Used to pick up some of teams that didn't exist anymore. Teams like the Seattle Pilots baseball team which became the brewers.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Have a bunch of 90s football cards (6k+) that were rediscovered when my parents moved, in decent condition but no market for them. I moved a few peyton manning rookies, but nothing else has much value right now. A couple of autographed cards (John Randle/Lawyer Milloy), a piece of a game worn uniform from card for Tory Holt..bunch of mid 90s rookies, bunch of other rarer inserts..no market or very limited right now. Took them to a shop and the guy basically said, maybe in a decade there will be more of a market..which fair enough. I wouldnt want shit taking up space in my shop that had no chance of selling.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Nester Nester
Here is my Josh Allen stuff, nothing huge as I never hit any autos for him opening 2018 products. For interests, Jo Adell, or also into big name guys in MLB. Tatis, Acuna, Ohtani, Trout, Griff Jr, Jeter, etc.

1641259511951.png <-- clickable thumbnail

Hoss Hoss
I heard this guy was a decent QB for Dallas in his day. Is his rookie, but 99% sure it has been trimmed, checked it versus other singles from the set and was smaller than anything I compared it to.

Muurloen Muurloen
88-89 was one of the great sets for sure, lots of HoFer rookies in there. Here is my Miller, and also a Stockton and his All Star from the set.

1641260027531.png

Izo Izo & Foler Foler
Go touch your PPs together in another thread.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I have a shitload of baseball cards from 75-90 or so, a few even older. Probably haven’t looked at them in 25 years

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Older stuff was always worth more money because there was less of it. All the card companies would release one set a year until late 90s/early 2000s when they would release multiple and the market got flooded. Now I feel like all collectors want are the few chase cards every year, like the jersey/autograph of the super super stars. Maybe these people still exist but for us growing up in the 80s/90s it really was all about collecting. There wasnt a huge resale market until the internet. Going to card shows in person was fun growing up but you never really saw multiple thousand dollar cards being sold back then.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Hoss Hoss Hoss Hoss
I heard this guy was a decent QB for Dallas in his day. Is his rookie, but 99% sure it has been trimmed, checked it versus other singles from the set and was smaller than anything I compared it to.

I dunno, I guess he was decent. Landry always said he was too quick to scramble out of the pocket.

I never even thought to look for a trimmed card. I guess that would happen if the edges were messed up and someone wanted to hide that? On a card that old I wouldn't be surprised if they were just inconsistent with the size. Back then no one knew they'd ever be so popular.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Just saw this on YT, Jordan PSA 9 alone is around $25k right now. Nice mistake PSA.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I dunno, I guess he was decent. Landry always said he was too quick to scramble out of the pocket.

I never even thought to look for a trimmed card. I guess that would happen if the edges were messed up and someone wanted to hide that? On a card that old I wouldn't be surprised if they were just inconsistent with the size. Back then no one knew they'd ever be so popular.

People do that now, buy a graded card with edge problems, break the case. trim the thinnest section or, resubmit it for a 9 or 10, Make Thousands.
I said people, but i really meant "scumbag fraudsters"

Its a pretty large problem and the FBI gets involved.

• 1Wow!

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
don't fall for it. In his country, the currency is called a buck and each one is worth 1/10th of a ruble.

• 1Worf

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People do that now, buy a graded card with edge problems, break the case. trim the thinnest section or, resubmit it for a 9 or 10, Make Thousands.
I said people, but i really meant "scumbag fraudsters"

Its a pretty large problem and the FBI gets involved.

Reading that thread it sounds like my dad is 80% of the people posting in that thread. He hates PSA. He believes every theory about them like they get paid off by big collectors, they rate your cards better the more business you give them, etc.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Weekend Ebay sale. Will we get to see him go up against some MLB pitchers this season?

1641768454091.png

• 1Mother of God