Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Variise

N00b
That word you keep using. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Suddenly any statement of facts or corrections are "parroting"?

Parroting means you are regurgitating information (mindlessly). Right out of the dictionary. That is without any objectivity. Without any criticism.

Prove to me I haven't criticized the game or provided any objective statements.

Variise

N00b
Don't overestimate how much time people put into proving SC wrong. They might follow the naysayers, but it's just as likely that they formed their "lol vaporware" opinion a year or two ago and follow neither the game development nor the haters closely if at all.

You're probably right. Some people made up their minds 2 years ago and it really wouldn't matter if the game launched since they would find something to complain about to prove they were right all along.

I'll keep that in mind.

Variise

N00b
Cmon, admit you're hella psyched about grabby hands! A mechanic profession, maaaaan! Hopefully we'll be able to get whisked around the universe while in a windowless engineering bay running back and forth having to fuck with a shitty grabby-hands mechanism (because has it ever been anything but annoying in any game ever?) while our friends act like our bosses and constantly ask us the ETA on when they can start having fun again! It's gonna be as exciting as the times the engineering officer never, ever got laid on Star Trek, not even Kirk's sloppy seconds! I'm stoked! Everyone wants to be a star-ship mechanic, so I just hope I don't get stuck being a dumb ol' captain!

Good to see Variise and Blackwulf bringing the truth with Star Citizen (and the other game that is now a separate game they're charging for), though, now that TESO became the best game ever and doesn't require their endless shilling anymore.

edit: or was it Vitality sucking the TESO dick hard? Either way...

Hey troll. Don't confuse me with some windowlicker you associate with.

That said it will be a choice for most professions you can make if they ever get the AI up to that point. It sounds like it will take at least 3 major passes before that might happen but they are just guessing. First pass of the AI is 3.0 (whenever that comes out) so maybe sometime next year you can hire crew to do what you consider boring shit.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Variise, what's the state of the cutlass? I got that for backing years ago but haven't kept up with the game after installing the alpha for a walk through the hangar when that came out. I just know that a few months back I got an E-Mail that sounded like the ship sucks and they make a new one instead (which I bought with my store credit). What's the deal behind all that?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That word you keep using. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Suddenly any statement of facts or corrections are "parroting"?

Parroting means you are regurgitating information (mindlessly). Right out of the dictionary. That is without any objectivity. Without any criticism.

Prove to me I haven't criticized the game or provided any objective statements.
You ARE regurgitating information as mindlessly as anyone else here. I didn't even say parroting is wrong. You are a parrot though, it's a fact. You are ASSUMING everyone that disagrees with you is parroting DS though. This is not the case. You are the only one ever bringing him up. You are probably the only person on this forum that reads anything he writes.

Just because we came to a conclusion that you read somewhere else also doesn't mean that is where we got it from.

You are doing just fine defending the game when you don't resort to this fairytale that anyone who isn't an SC cheerleader must be a fan of DS. It isn't reality.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blackwulf

N00b
Good to see Variise and Blackwulf bringing the truth with Star Citizen (and the other game that is now a separate game they're charging for), though, now that TESO became the best game ever and doesn't require their endless shilling anymore.

edit: or was it Vitality sucking the TESO dick hard? Either way...

I'll take your bait, cause I don't mind talking about this! First off, I don't remember Variise ever posting about ESO, so I'll bear that shame all on my own.

I learned a valuable lesson in my years as a Matt Firor fan boy. I learned that the power of the big publishers and their desire to appeal to the lowest common denominator will crush the best of intentions. I think Matt Firor had good ideas, and intentions, but his PVP centric game didn't appeal to the kinds of numbers that the console pandering suits at Bethesda wanted. He got shifted into a management position and they brought Paul Sage and his chosen few to repaint the game into a shallow theme park with simple controls and a release date the suits could live with.

I've basically lost all enthusiasm for any title coming from a major publisher. Every major title that is getting published by one of the big houses has to be primarily designed for consoles first with possible PC ports to follow. I won't write a novel explaining why that bothers me here, and if you need me to, you're probably on the wrong forum. Every game coming from a major company also has to deal with marketers and MBAs running the show. They have deadlines that don't conform to the best product and they have people calling the shots that have no idea what really makes a good game - they aren't interested in a good steak that 20% of the people will buy, they want chicken nuggets that everyone and their kids can and will consume.

Which brings me to why I'm spending my time following Star Citizen: Chris Roberts is uncompromising in his vision - often to a fault. He's publicly stated that he wants to push PC hardware now and in the future and he doesn't have any interest in trying to appeal to console players. He's not beholden to a publisher. He doesn't have a huge debt that he has to service in order to keep the studio afloat like Curt Schilling did. They are cleverly raising money on a continual basis so the devs have time and freedom to do their R&D and build the game right. They aren't "selling $300 dollar spaceships," they're giving gamers the opportunity to fund their dream game for $300 bucks. The spaceship is a bonus. If you just want to play the game, you can spend less than what No Man's Sky cost you, and guess what? You're still helping to fund the game.

On top of that, CIG is transparent in their processes more than any studio I've ever followed. They have an alpha version playable. They put out community videos every week where they give studio updates and answer questions from the fan base. More than that, every month they publish a monthly studio report that gives detailed breakdowns of what each studio has been working on, and I do mean DETAILED - probably more so than an investor would get each month at a traditional studio.

So yeah, that's why I'm fanboying up this game as of late. Maybe I'll be wrong again, and that won't really surprise me. I haven't been happy about any AAA title in a very long time. The only one in the last 10 years that stands out as being worth the money and hype would probably be The Witcher 3.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So yeah, that's why I'm fanboying up this game as of late. Maybe I'll be wrong again, and that won't really surprise me. I haven't been happy about any AAA title in a very long time. The only one in the last 10 years that stands out as being worth the money and hype would probably be The Witcher 3.

Good reason to be a fanboy. You see something you like and stick to it.

I was fanboying No Man's Sky despite the hate and it meets my expectations so far. I can see the flaws other people see also but it doesn't bother me much. I enjoy it for what it is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blackwulf

N00b
Variise, what's the state of the cutlass? I got that for backing years ago but haven't kept up with the game after installing the alpha for a walk through the hangar when that came out. I just know that a few months back I got an E-Mail that sounded like the ship sucks and they make a new one instead (which I bought with my store credit). What's the deal behind all that?

The Cutlass was marketed badly. They don't want to change it to appease the people that bought it for the marketing line of it being a "nimble fighter" so they are creating another ship that is a bit more to their liking:
The Drake Buccaneer has been designed from the ground up to fly and fight the way you live. No leather interiors or hyperpillows here: the ‘Bucc is a scrapper designed to maneuver and fight above its weight class. This rough-and-tumble frontier fighter can be maintained in the worst of conditions in order to keep real, working space crews alive.

They're finishing up work on the Caterpillar, which is a large Drake ship, and with it they have developed the updated Drake style guide, so I would imagine the Buccaneer and a reworked Cutlass won't be too far in the future. (next year is my guess)

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
People don't think this game is overhyped? I'm confused because it certainly is and the worse part of it is a lot of people have a ton of money tied up into this game which makes the hype train 10x worse. I hope the game lives up to the hype but I have major doubts it will.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It might have been hyped at one point but for probably over a year it's been the favorite click bait and low hanging fruit to shit on. If anything it's being expected to be a flop. I would say the cult of I hate Chris Robert's is bigger then his fanbase.

Variise

N00b

As Blackwulf mentioned they basically split the ship instead of completely redesigning it. It was a no win scenario.

The Cutlass was originally too small and with the implementation of 2.0 could no longer fly properly due to major design flaws. So the current cutlass is a slight redesign of the original one until the brand new model is built from scratch using their new processes and will eventually replace what's currently in game.

There were a number of problems. For one the size of a cells were so tiny it was more like a kennel for a large dog and other parts were equally comically tiny inside. They were measuring the ship with the wrong stand in body scale. This often happens in game development but unfortunately nobody realized this until it was built and pointed out by myself and others early on. So everything had to be enlarged to fit a full sized male inside the ship and fit the modules that were in the concept.

A similar redesign has already occurred to the Freelancer and by all accounts people are mostly happy with it.

I don't think we have an ETA for a release of the new Cutlass because they have been building SQ42 ships first small ones then medium sized ones like the Starfarer and now capital ships. It's still with the LA office I think so it's the guys that are working on the other Drake ships but priorities change and it keeps getting pushed back. As far as I know it's almost done but missing animations and programming to make it flight ready. I'm not 100% certain. This is also a bad time because they just moved to a new first person HUD but the Multi Function Displays of ships aren't getting the UI update until 2.6 because that just exited R&D so every ship is having those ripped out and replaced.

Hope that helps. I may be wrong about some of these things simply because I haven't followed the Cutlass very much since I found the problem in the cells and reported it.

Variise

N00b
You ARE regurgitating information as mindlessly as anyone else here. I didn't even say parroting is wrong. You are a parrot though, it's a fact. You are ASSUMING everyone that disagrees with you is parroting DS though. This is not the case. You are the only one ever bringing him up. You are probably the only person on this forum that reads anything he writes.

Just because we came to a conclusion that you read somewhere else also doesn't mean that is where we got it from.

You are doing just fine defending the game when you don't resort to this fairytale that anyone who isn't an SC cheerleader must be a fan of DS. It isn't reality.

Conclusion is a big word for what some people here write.

As I said opinion I don't give a shit about. That's your fantasy concoction. It's when they spew bile and outright lie that I have a problem with. You white knighting that is just sad.

Variise

N00b
People don't think this game is overhyped? I'm confused because it certainly is and the worse part of it is a lot of people have a ton of money tied up into this game which makes the hype train 10x worse. I hope the game lives up to the hype but I have major doubts it will.

Short answer no.

It doesn't matter what is released or how long they spend doing it. They will never make everyone happy. If they can make 80-90% of the playerbase happy that would be a coup. However an angry 10-20%, without polling, could look like the entire community is rebelling simply because many of those people tend to be very vocal. I seen this play out in the forums. Then again a chunk of them took refunds and left the community and that's positive IMO.

I'm one of the people that tries to inject facts in the community, previously on the forums but that's a lost cause and now on Reddit, to bring people down to reality. That's part of the reason I find these other arguments just funny now.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

It's gonna be as exciting as the times the engineering officer never, ever got laid on Star Trek, not even Kirk's sloppy seconds!

Classic Trek, sure. But the later ones escaped that trap ;p

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Conclusion is a big word for what some people here write.

As I said opinion I don't give a shit about. That's your fantasy concoction. It's when they spew bile and outright lie that I have a problem with. You white knighting that is just sad.
You are literally a paranoid nutcase with the reading comprehension of a child if you came to that "conclusion" of what is going on.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm one of the people that tries to inject facts in the community, previously on the forums but that's a lost cause and now on Reddit, to bring people down to reality. That's part of the reason I find these other arguments just funny now.

I'm sorry, but lol.

Ok, I'm not sorry.

• 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Aside from the feature creep, the expanding into multiple products and the fact the game is going to take much longer to complete than initially estimated, the thing that bothers me the most about this game is the years of fanboys talking about how this game isn't P2W and how ships would be easily accessible just by playing when the fact is, and has now basically been confirmed by Roberts himself, that you're basically screwed if you don't by in now rather than just buying the game later. It's the literal definition of P2W and the more money you spend now the further ahead you will be when the game releases.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
It's the literal definition of P2W and the more money you spend now the further ahead you will be when the game releases.

Nah; it's a fallacy to treat P2W as a boolean.

Non-Eve players call Eve P2W because you can freely exchange USD for in-game currency. You can freely purchase characters. Someone could Visa their way into any character+ship they want in Eve.

People familiar with Eve don't think of this as P2W, with all its negative connotations, because context matters. You can pay USD for any in-game object you want in Eve, but you certainly aren't going to win the game.