Star Trek: Discovery

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
You getting pregnant right now would be a distraction in our primary mission of getting to the alpha quadrant, as pregnancy debilitates your ability to work and the hormonal changes could result in a war with new species we encounter if you perceive imaginary insults. Since condoms are only 99% effective, not 100%, the logical course to continue our mission of exploring human sexuality is to do it in the butt.

Wasn't nelix a pedo for banging kess, since she was only like 3 years old or some shit

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
guess who?

54646.jpg

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
I has internetz. Between the picture and the report of domestic abuse I am going to take a leap and believe I have another reason to hate meth.

Correction on Kess' age. In season 2 episode 4 she claims she isn't even two years old, which I believe means she was conceived around the middle of the first season (oops).
At least when Kess Left the show they managed to dump all plot lines that made Neelix look like a child predator.
rrr_img_4873.jpg

"I have seen things that can not be unseen"

God damn it Neelix!

Nearly finished season 1 TNG, man 26 episodes for the first season of a scifi show? That's crazy, heck do any current shows even have 26 episode seasons at all?

Dom_sl

shitlord
Their goal with TNG was to make enough episodes to reach the amount required for syndication. It did so well that they just kept going.

Nowadays, you can skip the syndication goal and aim for short seasons that translate well into DVD sales, so the choice to spend so much more aiming for syndication isn't nearly as appealing due to the unstable nature of chances of early cancellation.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Their goal with TNG was to make enough episodes to reach the amount required for syndication. It did so well that they just kept going.

Nowadays, you can skip the syndication goal and aim for short seasons that translate well into DVD sales, so the choice to spend so much more aiming for syndication isn't nearly as appealing due to the unstable nature of chances of early cancellation.
I didn't know that, but boy does that ever answer a lot of questions about modern television.

I've worked for a lot of years at watching Star Trek. Over the course of more than a decade, I have now seen every episode of
TOS
TNG
DS9
Voyager
Enterprise

That's a lot. Here are a couple observations:
1. Star Trek is fun in war-mode. TNG was great when there were battles afoot (When the Klingons went to civil war, for example). DS9 got better as the war got more intense.
2. Enterprise surprised the heck out of me. I thought it was going to be terrible. It was good.
3. Captain Janeway was a complete casting mistake.
4. 7 of 9 needs me.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I always like to imagine the what-if scenario of BSG's Admiral Cain being Voyager's captain instead of Janeway.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
When I had finished the season finale I finally figured out what made Janeway such a wonderful captain. He coffee must have had copious amounts of alcohol in it. Future Janeway had quit drinking coffee and was making pretty sound decisions for someone who was clearly damaged by the deaths of so many friends. After she starts drinking coffee again she is right back to making piss poor choices.

Wouldn't the temporal police have had gone back and prevented future Janeway from breaking the temporal prime directive? She did bring advanced technology back in time that would alter the course of future history after all.

Goatface

i always heard that Voyager was hamstrung by the "Roddenberry Vision" (always clean ships etc). Anyway i enjoyed it about the same as DS9, both had their ups and downs. At the time it was on, i preferred B'Elanna over 7of9, of all the trek chicks, Jadzia Dax might be my all time fav.

Dom_sl

shitlord
Voyager's problem was that all of Trek's good writers were busy with DS9, so fucktard spectacular Rick Berman was able to be Rick Berman.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
wasn't the first 2 eps of species 4888(whatever number) like the most action packed in late 90's? i haven't watched those two since they aired over 15 years ago but i remember going, "man that's a lot of action, the borg are fcked". I mean coming from TNG and seeing the rise and fall of locutus, then seeing the borg just get the 90's version of "pwned" was awesome, actually maybe i'll just try to find those 2 eps of voyager.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
wasn't the first 2 eps of species 4888(whatever number) like the most action packed in late 90's? i haven't watched those two since they aired over 15 years ago but i remember going, "man that's a lot of action, the borg are fcked". I mean coming from TNG and seeing the rise and fall of locutus, then seeing the borg just get the 90's version of "pwned" was awesome, actually maybe i'll just try to find those 2 eps of voyager.
out of all the ST episodes i ever watched, that cold open is basically the only one i remember

bunch of borg cubes in a nebula, ordering someone to surrender and prepare to be assimilated before they are all blown the fuck up by these giant orange energy beams from ships offscreen, and the screen fades black into the opening theme.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
One of the (many) things I hated about Voyager was the neutering of the Borg. Borg are space zombies, their power lies in their ability to adapt and corrupt anything they come into contact with.
By they end of Voyager they weren't the least bit scary and they somehow failed to assimilate any of the more advanced tech they encountered leaving them stagnant as Voyagers crew advanced.

What would have been really cool is if as Janeway made her way back to the Alpha Quadrant she encountered refugees who no longer had a planet to call home and collected them into a massive flotilla the Voyager being the focal point because of the replicators (no planet no crops).
This would have made sense as the Borg would have taken anything they deemed of value and ignored the rest; they aren't bent on genocide.
The Voyager crew would have been better able to adapt the newcomers technology because the unassimilated races still have the ability to innovate where the Borg only react.

I feel as much as I am harping on Enterprise and Voyager I must say they were better than TOS.
Yeah, I just said that.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
everything was better than TOS. TOS was the worst