Star Wars 1977 unaltered on Blu-Ray ?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this gay couple seems to think the theatrical version of the 1977 star wars will be released this year on blu-ray, anyone else hearing that?
star wars was the first movie i ever saw at the movies and i would pick this up in a heartbeat.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Without watching the video there was some speculation back before Rogue One came out that got started when Gareth Edwards mentioned in an interview that while he was combing through the archives at Lucasfilm as he was researching for the movie they told him they had a newly completed 4K remaster of Ep IV and asked if he'd like to see it.

But that remaster was started while Lucas still owned the company and if you know anything about his attitude towards the original vs SE issue then you know he'd never remaster the original for release. And sure enough it ended up turning out that is was a remaster of the SE.

I've long thought that when he went to Fox about creating the SE he worked out a deal that would prevent them from ever distributing the true originals without his consent (and I wouldn't doubt that he had a similar provision in the sale to Disney). I don't think we'll ever see them out on commercial Blu-ray until George is dead and gone and maybe not even after that.

edit: Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo tweeted about the rumors just this past week.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm of the opinion that when they inevitably revisit the original trilogy for a 4K conversion they should start with the original footage then redo all the special effects with modern technology without changing any of the source material / narrative.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
It's safer to assume it's never going to happen legally. That way you're not let down, and should it happen... well then bonus.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm of the opinion that when they inevitably revisit the original trilogy for a 4K conversion they should start with the original footage then redo all the special effects with modern technology without changing any of the source material / narrative.
practical effects still hold up to today. not all. but most do.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Without watching the video there was some speculation back before Rogue One came out that got started when Gareth Edwards mentioned in an interview that while he was combing through the archives at Lucasfilm as he was researching for the movie they told him they had a newly completed 4K remaster of Ep IV and asked if he'd like to see it.

But that remaster was started while Lucas still owned the company and if you know anything about his attitude towards the original vs SE issue then you know he'd never remaster the original for release. And sure enough it ended up turning out that is was a remaster of the SE.

I've long thought that when he went to Fox about creating the SE he worked out a deal that would prevent them from ever distributing the true originals without his consent (and I wouldn't doubt that he had a similar provision in the sale to Disney). I don't think we'll ever see them out on commercial Blu-ray until George is dead and gone and maybe not even after that.

edit: Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo tweeted about the rumors just this past week.

and that sucks ass.

fuck you george lucas

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no they don't. they looked like shit in 1995 and they look like bigger shit now.
what are you saying is shit? all of it or stuff like the land speeder and some of the stop action in space? because the miniatures and the stan winston/frank oz stuff is still incredible. even the matte paintings still look decent even though the cutout frames always look like cutout frames.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
what are you saying is shit? all of it or stuff like the land speeder and some of the stop action in space? because the miniatures and the stan winston/frank oz stuff is still incredible. even the matte paintings still look decent even though the cutout frames always look like cutout frames.
everything that was CGI

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
also wouldn't object to them doing a CGI alec guiness and making a saber fight that isn't totally awful.

spronk

FPS noob
they should re-remaster the trilogy and replace alec guiness with ewan mcgregor, digitally insert jake lloyd into all vader mask off scenes, digitally insert a whole lot more pod racing because who doesn't love pod racing, enhance yoda so he can flip and do cool skater tricks on Degobah, change Chewbacca to be a girl and remove all the fur and put her into a nice pant suit because women are funny, get over it. She can talk about her vagina and how much sex she has with black guys like lando

also adding jar jar binks as an old gungan living on cloud city would be fantastic, he could yell out OH NOOSA NOTTA AGAINA as storm troopers attack

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
also wouldn't object to them doing a CGI alec guiness and making a saber fight that isn't totally awful.

Doubt it. Too many people screamed and cried over Rogue One's CGI recreation of Tarkin. It was disgusting, and I'd be sure with that much noise Disney noted the feedback in their focus groups.

I've never seen so much complaining over something nobody else noticed.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
they should re-remaster the trilogy and replace alec guiness with ewan mcgregor, digitally insert jake lloyd into all vader mask off scenes, digitally insert a whole lot more pod racing because who doesn't love pod racing, enhance yoda so he can flip and do cool skater tricks on Degobah, change Chewbacca to be a girl and remove all the fur and put her into a nice pant suit because women are funny, get over it. She can talk about her vagina and how much sex she has with black guys like lando

also adding jar jar binks as an old gungan living on cloud city would be fantastic, he could yell out OH NOOSA NOTTA AGAINA as storm troopers attack
:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
oh, yeah the death star graphics in the rebel base was pretty shit. you do realize that the light sabers and lazer blasts wasnt cgi? bunch of dudes drawing on the negatives in post.
I did not realize that. Wouldn't mind if they updated that shit either.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
practical effects still hold up to today. not all. but most do.

no they don't. they looked like shit in 1995 and they look like bigger shit now.

everything that was CGI

DEFINITION OF PRACTICAL EFFECTS : A practical effect is a special effect produced physically, without computer-generated imagery or other post production techniques.

Most agree, the original work was groundbreaking and hold up well considering its age. NO ONE likes the SE version CGI shit show. Pretty sure Chuk was defending the original, not the SE.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Doubt it. Too many people screamed and cried over Rogue One's CGI recreation of Tarkin. It was disgusting, and I'd be sure with that much noise Disney noted the feedback in their focus groups.

I've never seen so much complaining over something nobody else noticed.
Yeah I was mostly joking there because of all the outrage though I would be alright with them changing it because it looks retarded in the context of the series with Dooku doing all sorts of crazy shit and these two geezers literally standing still swinging in slow motion. The outrage over that was retarded since 95℅ of people wouldn't have known the difference except for the fact that the dude is dead. The CGI was pretty perfect, and that's coming from someone who thought that movie was a pile of shit.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
DEFINITION OF PRACTICAL EFFECTS : A practical effect is a special effect produced physically, without computer-generated imagery or other post production techniques.

Most agree, the original work was groundbreaking and hold up well considering its age. NO ONE likes the SE version CGI shit show. Pretty sure Chuk was defending the original, not the SE.
yes, the original is the only version i ever watch.

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah I was mostly joking there because of all the outrage though I would be alright with them changing it because it looks retarded in the context of the series with Dooku doing all sorts of crazy shit and these two geezers literally standing still swinging in slow motion. The outrage over that was retarded since 95℅ of people wouldn't have known the difference except for the fact that the dude is dead. The CGI was pretty perfect, and that's coming from someone who thought that movie was a pile of shit.

It was a pain-staking experimental process, and the guys put a ton of work into it-- to get told its "fake" and the "worst CGI they'd ever seen."

That's one of the few benefits of having Kathleen Kennedy running these movies (for now), is that she isn't afraid to tell the nerds to go blow it out their ass. We might just get that CGI remake of Obi-wan/Vader out of spite, and Leia in Ep. 9 if they keep it up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like