Star Wars 1977 unaltered on Blu-Ray ?

Fadaar

That guy
Original cut but completely digitally remastered to clean it up would be tits

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
they should re-remaster the trilogy and replace alec guiness with ewan mcgregor, digitally insert jake lloyd into all vader mask off scenes, digitally insert a whole lot more pod racing because who doesn't love pod racing, enhance yoda so he can flip and do cool skater tricks on Degobah, change Chewbacca to be a girl and remove all the fur and put her into a nice pant suit because women are funny, get over it. She can talk about her vagina and how much sex she has with black guys like lando

also adding jar jar binks as an old gungan living on cloud city would be fantastic, he could yell out OH NOOSA NOTTA AGAINA as storm troopers attack
/thread

Game over

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
bottom line, the problem is that although Disney bought Lucasfilm outright, Fox retains distribution rights to the unedited Ep 4 (ANH) and has very little reason to sell those rights off to Disney to allow them to do something like this. On top of that, according to many, there might not even exist a clean copy of the originial ep 4, and it would have to be reverse engineered at this point. Lucas made a lot of mistakes in making the special editions.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
One good solid reason to release it unaltered on Blu-Ray:

It would sell like a motherfucker and earn them hundreds of millions.

• 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well....the despecialized edition still holds for me. So I'm not THAT desperate about this rumour and possible blu ray unaltered version.
Hope they do it but it's not likely.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
. . . you do realize that the light sabers and lazer blasts wasnt cgi? bunch of dudes drawing on the negatives in post.

'drawing on the negatives' This must have been an 80's urban myth. I can remember a friend having said the exact same thing to me back in the day.

Film negatives are very small. That idea would be very difficult.

They used a technique called Rotoscoping, which is normally used to film and capture a human performer and then draw them as if they are an animated character. The rotoscope setup is an animator's desk with a projector set up above it, or below, using a glass plate. the projector uses a lower light source and can hold on a single frame for as long is needed. So the animator can then paint, onto animation cells whatever is needed, a lightsabre glow, laser blast, or a moving matte to block out something that got into part of the image. An animation cell is large enough to be easy to work with, and then they just work through the sequence frame by frame. Then with this short sequence now as a separate visual element they can pre-vis it a bunch of times to make sure everything was captured and that the elements of it move smoothly etc. And also use it to create the matte of it ( kinda a black surround )

So then it and the whole finished effects shot ( numerous elements ) are all combined using a optical printer.

Yeah, I read a lot of special effects books / mags

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is something to the "drawing on negatives" urban legend but not for Star Wars. In Tron the blue and red suit graphics were not done by rotoscoping, they were done by a bunch of Korean artists painting red and blue lines on every frame of the master.

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
bottom line, the problem is that although Disney bought Lucasfilm outright, Fox retains distribution rights to the unedited Ep 4 (ANH) and has very little reason to sell those rights off to Disney to allow them to do something like this. On top of that, according to many, there might not even exist a clean copy of the originial ep 4, and it would have to be reverse engineered at this point. Lucas made a lot of mistakes in making the special editions.

While it's true that Fox holds the Ep 4 distro rights in perpetuity (and the rights to 5 & 6 until 2020) the reason to sell those rights is simply a matter of money. The question is does it make financial sense for Disney to pay whatever would be necessary to get them back. Probably not, particularly if there are contractual constraints on them altering them from the current SE configuration.

But that doesn't mean there isn't financial incentive for the studios to work together to their mutual benefit and release them in a format for which there is clearly an unsatisfied demand (though I think that demand is probably less than many are inclined to believe). Fox certainly has an incentive to do such a release of 5 & 6 before the rights revert back to Disney. That's why I think there is more than just the rights issue holding things up.

And according to the company that performed the 4K remaster, the only existing configuration of Ep 4 is the most recent form of the SE. But the frames that were removed to make the SE changes do still exist on their own so it can be reverted back to it's previous form.

But in any event, given Lucasfilm's penchant for baking in incentives for people to double dip on Blu-ray purchases with the newer releases I would be surprised to see the original theatrical cuts being the first 4K versions out on Blu-ray. They are much more likely to release 4K SE's then follow that up some time later with some kind of collector's edition that included the originals as a bonus feature.

Last edited:

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
they should re-remaster the trilogy and replace alec guiness with ewan mcgregor, digitally insert jake lloyd into all vader mask off scenes, digitally insert a whole lot more pod racing because who doesn't love pod racing, enhance yoda so he can flip and do cool skater tricks on Degobah, change Chewbacca to be a girl and remove all the fur and put her into a nice pant suit because women are funny, get over it. She can talk about her vagina and how much sex she has with black guys like lando

also adding jar jar binks as an old gungan living on cloud city would be fantastic, he could yell out OH NOOSA NOTTA AGAINA as storm troopers attack

What if trans-chewie pod races to blow up the death star, and then is the only one to get a medal at the end while Luke and Han watch?

Royal

If we're making out a retcon wish list can we get Vader noticing the approaching Millennium Falcon and shooting first so when Han takes out his wing man he doesn't come off as a cold-blooded killer? Do it for the children.

Royal

Decided to go ahead at watch the vid in the OP and see they're discussing an article from the Making Star Wars site. No wonder ...

MSW broke a lot of accurate info in the lead up to TFA. They had some solid sources that were willing to share what they had back then. But Lucasfilm has clearly tightened up things on their end . It was clear before R1 was released and it's even clearer now. I believe I also read somewhere that Disney/Lucasfilm let the guys that run MSW know of their displeasure by denying them press passes to their events since then, so they're probably gun shy on breaking anything truly noteworthy now.

So what you see more of on their site these days is rehashed info that comes out someplace else first (what little of it that there is) and speculation pieces that give the impression that they still have some connects but contain very little in the way of actual hard info. That article the video cited read like they were still trying to pass off the 4K original Ep 4 talk from back in December as the basis for credible rumors.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Decided to go ahead at watch the vid in the OP and see they're discussing an article from the Making Star Wars site. No wonder ...

MSW broke a lot of accurate info in the lead up to TFA. They had some solid sources that were willing to share what they had back then. But Lucasfilm has clearly tightened up things on their end . It was clear before R1 was released and it's even clearer now. I believe I also read somewhere that Disney/Lucasfilm let the guys that run MSW know of their displeasure by denying them press passes to their events since then, so they're probably gun shy on breaking anything truly noteworthy now.

So what you see more of on their site these days is rehashed info that comes out someplace else first (what little of it that there is) and speculation pieces that give the impression that they still have some connects but contain very little in the way of actual hard info. That article the video cited read like they were still trying to pass off the 4K original Ep 4 talk from back in December as the basis for credible rumors.
yeah, i dont follow the star wars community, i just was hoping to watch the movie i loved as a kid in something besides the 20 and 30 year old VHS tapes i own again.

• 1Like