Star Wars Battlefront II

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dont beleive the ''no efforts and love was invested by the artists'' kind of thinking at all. There isnt a project i would do and invest time in if i wasnt aiming for a certain level of quality or else, why fuckin do it in the first place. Its here that many guys are jaded to think you can work on the starwars IP with no emotion, fuck that i dont buy it. So yes its sad for Timmy the coder to see his work downgraded cause of retarded loot crates. The general feedback from the game, which i didnt play, is that the visuals, sounds and general action feel straight out of the movies. Loot box are fuckin it all up but i beleive there was quality until EA took a massive shit on it with microtransaction.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dont beleive the ''no efforts and love was invested by the artists'' kind of thinking at all. There isnt a project i would do and invest time in if i wasnt aiming for a certain level of quality or else, why fuckin do it in the first place. Its here that many guys are jaded to think you can work on the starwars IP with no emotion, fuck that i dont buy it. So yes its sad for Timmy the coder to see his work downgraded cause of retarded loot crates. The general feedback from the game, which i didnt play, is that the visuals, sounds and general action feel straight out of the movies. Loot box are fuckin it all up but i beleive there was quality until EA took a massive shit on it with microtransaction.

I'm sure all the H1Bs are devastated

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dis

Confirmed Male
So update: EA really screwed up on this one.

A repost of what I posted on the EA forums that pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue, FULL DISCLOSURE: this was before I got the refund:

Normally I am the silent majority/minority, but silent nonetheless when it comes to gamer's hot takes, opinions, or critiques of the game. Normally I will avoid games that are being heavily criticized as bad, or at least wait until the price drops so low I dont feel ripped off if it is indeed bad. My Steam account is full of these types of games, most of which I buy during the various steam sale events (my bane, and vice...**** YOU STEAM!!!).

However, I have always loved BattleField-esque games, and I absolutely am a HUGE Star Wars fanboi. Even if a game is getting tore up in reviews, I have to make 100 percent certain that the game is bad for myself, even paying full retail.

So I watched in amusement as people complained about the loot crate system. Which IMHO is a psuedo-pay to win system, but I would like to label it as, pay to win now. I never had a strong opinion one or another having been an avid gamer for the better part of 36 years (I am 42). I have played PONG on the actually PONG system on a B/W TV, and to now raiding Mythic Tomb of Sargeras in a progression guild on World of Warcraft. As folks may or may not know, a lot of Blizzard games have a loot crate system or something similar (buying gold, boosting a character, etc). Most folks dont have a problem with it, I certainly dont. Blizzard is very clear on how the boxes work, what the RNG percentages are, and how much everything is. They have never (at least to my knowledge) made a major revision to what you are receiving from a monetary purchase of loot crates, or card packs. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on my Bnet account. So EA trying to implement something that has already been going on through their competitor (which Bnet and Steam is where most of my money goes) was not a big deal to me.

So, I purchased EAcash, and prepared to open up a ton of loot crates. I spent approx. 120 dollars on loot crates alone. Some of you will have opinions on whether or not this was smart, I will simply state my thoughts on money purchases. I have worked very hard to get in a position where I can drop 120 dollars on a hobby without worrying about anything. I have 2 kids, they are very well taken care of (future gamer and Star War fans also!). However, their is a trade off working a job that affords me this ability to spend money on digital goods. Time. I dont have a lot of it. As it stands, I dont watch TV unless I am going to binge watch a series on Netflix, Amazon, HULU, and that doesn't happen often. World of Warcraft takes up a majority of my time because I have to dedicate at least 10 hours of my week to raiding progression. Then you couple that with weekends of going out to do things with my family, well my time is very limited to play BattleFront 2.

I use my money to speed up the process of acquisition. I will never be able to keep up with college/HS kids, or single adults that work a 9 to 5 job and no-life a game (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, I used to do this when I was single/no kids as well). I personally dont have strong feelings if loot crates are in the game or out, I accept whatever the devs put on my plate going into a purchase of a game. So dont mistake this for an pro pay to win post.

What I do take issue with, is changing the rules last minute after people like myself, because I know I am in a large silent minority of folks that use disposible cash to buy crates/packs or whatever you want to call them, have prepurchased the game plus eacash for the loot crates themselves. After a 120 dollars spent, I was incredibly underwhelmed at the ROI in the game. The fact that you took out the ability to pop legendaries and it seems epic cards is what I would call a "rip off". The best card I got was a blue card, and even then it was ultra rare (maybe got less than 10, or around 10). If I spend two times over your game price, and am supporting the game for further development for free DLCs, I expect something of value in return. I do not feel that way at all, exactly the opposite. I feel like I was mislead.

This would be the second time EA has "got" me. I paid for BattleFront 1, plus the lifetime sub for DLC. Paying in the ballpark of around 120 bucks for that combo. Now have dropped around 210 bucks for the upcharge edition, plus the eacash for the loot crates. EA, you need to start running analytics about who runs your games. The folks that pay 50 bucks and never drop a dime after on your game, or folks like me who spend a lot of their disposable incoming on games they love to play, when they have a chance to play them. I wish I could show you how much I have spent on Bnet to make you understand where I am coming from. All you have done is turn me away from what your idea of what loot crate should be. So not only did you **** off the gamers that are anti-loot crate but would buy the game anyways, but you **** off the gamers who would buy the loot crates because the ROI is terrible. Anyways, something to think about.

Overall the game is just OK btw. I think you dropped some of the good ideas from BF1, and added some bad ideas to BF2 (no destructable enviroments???? Is this 2017?). But that is a whole other dissertation I will not bother with
smiley.png
. The bottom line for me at this point is, I am not spending anymore money on BF2, there is just NO value in it. You shot yourself in the foot to please people who were going to buy the game anyways despite their vehement feelings on the issue, and games like me (eg suckers) paid for it, literally. No more money from me, and this is the last time you get me like this. My money will just stay with Bnet/Steam.

Hopefully you guys read this post, and put serious thought in how you handle this in the future. Either do them, and do them right, or just dont do them. They have to have value!!!!!

Edit - Spoke too soon, decision came back and they cannot refund my the EAcash spent. My guess is they never had a system in place to refund money on loot crates. Oh well, 120 bucks down the drain. Lesson learned... No more EA games for this guy

Last edited:
  • 6Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff

You don't have to believe it, but developers know how it works. You might try a little at first, or if you are new and don't know how things go, but it is extremely obvious that the money people/executives were in control. When that becomes clear (usually early on) everyone stops giving a fuck about the game and does just what they need to to not get fired.

If you are the type of person that can't accept working under those conditions you don't work at a place like DICE or EA.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

We do not even know how many contractors they used. Which seem to be a lot lately. EA contracts a ton of people to do everythign from coding to art to just about everything else. They are on contract, work, get their paycheck, send half of it home to their families over seas and vacate. I do see your point for those internal folks that actually DO care - and there is that.

spronk

FPS noob
The EA cycle continues, yet people continue to pre-order/buy day one.

first of all, how dare you

I am a victim, i suffer from Star Wars-itis where I must pre order any video game that is associated with Star Wars. Your attacks on members of my religion and race is racist and if you persist I will be forced to file a claim with Obamacare

I identify as someone who pre orders shitty games and attacks on my people will no longer be tolerated. The culture of pre order shaming must stop, I bet Anita Sarkeesian can make a great video patreon about it. Just because I pre ordered Battlefront 2 does not give you the right to rape me with your words. Yes means yes, and I say YES to pre ordering blindly digital games six months before release to get that sweet, sweet pre order only avatar. #MeesaToo

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

A repost of what I posted on the EA forums that pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue, FULL DISCLOSURE: this was before I got the refund:

Normally I am the silent majority/minority, but silent nonetheless when it comes to gamer's hot takes, opinions, or critiques of the game. Normally I will avoid games that are being heavily criticized as bad, or at least wait until the price drops so low I dont feel ripped off if it is indeed bad. My Steam account is full of these types of games, most of which I buy during the various steam sale events (my bane, and vice...**** YOU STEAM!!!).

However, I have always loved BattleField-esque games, and I absolutely am a HUGE Star Wars fanboi. Even if a game is getting tore up in reviews, I have to make 100 percent certain that the game is bad for myself, even paying full retail.

So I watched in amusement as people complained about the loot crate system. Which IMHO is a psuedo-pay to win system, but I would like to label it as, pay to win now. I never had a strong opinion one or another having been an avid gamer for the better part of 36 years (I am 42). I have played PONG on the actually PONG system on a B/W TV, and to now raiding Mythic Tomb of Sargeras in a progression guild on World of Warcraft. As folks may or may not know, a lot of Blizzard games have a loot crate system or something similar (buying gold, boosting a character, etc). Most folks dont have a problem with it, I certainly dont. Blizzard is very clear on how the boxes work, what the RNG percentages are, and how much everything is. They have never (at least to my knowledge) made a major revision to what you are receiving from a monetary purchase of loot crates, or card packs. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on my Bnet account. So EA trying to implement something that has already been going on through their competitor (which Bnet and Steam is where most of my money goes) was not a big deal to me.

So, I purchased EAcash, and prepared to open up a ton of loot crates. I spent approx. 120 dollars on loot crates alone. Some of you will have opinions on whether or not this was smart, I will simply state my thoughts on money purchases. I have worked very hard to get in a position where I can drop 120 dollars on a hobby without worrying about anything. I have 2 kids, they are very well taken care of (future gamer and Star War fans also!). However, their is a trade off working a job that affords me this ability to spend money on digital goods. Time. I dont have a lot of it. As it stands, I dont watch TV unless I am going to binge watch a series on Netflix, Amazon, HULU, and that doesn't happen often. World of Warcraft takes up a majority of my time because I have to dedicate at least 10 hours of my week to raiding progression. Then you couple that with weekends of going out to do things with my family, well my time is very limited to play BattleFront 2.

I use my money to speed up the process of acquisition. I will never be able to keep up with college/HS kids, or single adults that work a 9 to 5 job and no-life a game (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, I used to do this when I was single/no kids as well). I personally dont have strong feelings if loot crates are in the game or out, I accept whatever the devs put on my plate going into a purchase of a game. So dont mistake this for an pro pay to win post.

What I do take issue with, is changing the rules last minute after people like myself, because I know I am in a large silent minority of folks that use disposible cash to buy crates/packs or whatever you want to call them, have prepurchased the game plus eacash for the loot crates themselves. After a 120 dollars spent, I was incredibly underwhelmed at the ROI in the game. The fact that you took out the ability to pop legendaries and it seems epic cards is what I would call a "rip off". The best card I got was a blue card, and even then it was ultra rare (maybe got less than 10, or around 10). If I spend two times over your game price, and am supporting the game for further development for free DLCs, I expect something of value in return. I do not feel that way at all, exactly the opposite. I feel like I was mislead.

This would be the second time EA has "got" me. I paid for BattleFront 1, plus the lifetime sub for DLC. Paying in the ballpark of around 120 bucks for that combo. Now have dropped around 210 bucks for the upcharge edition, plus the eacash for the loot crates. EA, you need to start running analytics about who runs your games. The folks that pay 50 bucks and never drop a dime after on your game, or folks like me who spend a lot of their disposable incoming on games they love to play, when they have a chance to play them. I wish I could show you how much I have spent on Bnet to make you understand where I am coming from. All you have done is turn me away from what your idea of what loot crate should be. So not only did you **** off the gamers that are anti-loot crate but would buy the game anyways, but you **** off the gamers who would buy the loot crates because the ROI is terrible. Anyways, something to think about.

Overall the game is just OK btw. I think you dropped some of the good ideas from BF1, and added some bad ideas to BF2 (no destructable enviroments???? Is this 2017?). But that is a whole other dissertation I will not bother with
smiley.png
. The bottom line for me at this point is, I am not spending anymore money on BF2, there is just NO value in it. You shot yourself in the foot to please people who were going to buy the game anyways despite their vehement feelings on the issue, and games like me (eg suckers) paid for it, literally. No more money from me, and this is the last time you get me like this. My money will just stay with Bnet/Steam.

Hopefully you guys read this post, and put serious thought in how you handle this in the future. Either do them, and do them right, or just dont do them. They have to have value!!!!!

Edit - Spoke too soon, decision came back and they cannot refund my the EAcash spent. My guess is they never had a system in place to refund money on loot crates. Oh well, 120 bucks down the drain. Lesson learned... No more EA games for this guy
Haha, you are such a dumb faggot. Laughed so hard reading this.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

smiley.png

Lol this has to be the best troll ever right? :)

RIGHT???

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Haha, you are such a dumb faggot. Laughed so hard reading this.

It's typical "I want to disagree but I must follow group think on this forum to protect feelings or be moderated" bullshit answer.

Also lol @ "but MTX allow people with busy lives to compete by dumping cash in for an advantage... But it's only QUASI P2W because I don't want to feel bad!"

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was pretty excited for this before it came out, and now I can't wait to never buy this game.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh i will still support dice. I loved almost all their games so far. Yeah fuck EA and all that, but sometimes you just cannot control what you cannot control, but fuck missing out on this game, even if its for a few weeks of fun in Star Wars nerd town.

As for micro transactions and all that, might as well stop playing all fucking games then, because they all have some sort of in game shop. Yep it sucks, but im not about to stop playing games because of it. See you in game Ut.

• 4Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Meh i will still support dice. I loved almost all their games so far. Yeah fuck EA and all that, but sometimes you just cannot control what you cannot control, but fuck missing out on this game, even if its for a few weeks of fun in Star Wars nerd town.

As for micro transactions and all that, might as well stop playing all fucking games then, because they all have some sort of in game shop. Yep it sucks, but im not about to stop playing games because of it. See you in game Ut.

Trolling trolling trolling..... keep that poster trolling.... RAW HIIIDDDEEEE....

You won't see me in this game unless announcements are made that everything is cosmetic only, they have revamped the entire progression system (Because right now it's an absolute joke) and the SP is a joke as well. Bugs are ridiculous. I mean, if I didn't know any better I would venture to say EA went this far with MTX systems to veer people away from how shitty the game is in general anyway.

I'll be playing Div 2 tonight with the Team Fuck Up boys here from FOH, and then on to Skyrim PSVR for the next century.

PS: DICE is owned by EA. There is no DICE.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Trolling trolling trolling..... keep that poster trolling.... RAW HIIIDDDEEEE....

You won't see me in this game unless announcements are made that everything is cosmetic only, they have revamped the entire progression system (Because right now it's an absolute joke) and the SP is a joke as well. Bugs are ridiculous. I mean, if I didn't know any better I would venture to say EA went this far with MTX systems to veer people away from how shitty the game is in general anyway.

I'll be playing Div 2 tonight with the Team Fuck Up boys here from FOH, and then on to Skyrim PSVR for the next century.

Queer.

• 4Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

iu

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

+40% dps from crates was the killer for me, and the fact that all the infantry maps are basically big fucking corridors just like the first game.

• 4Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
So now that EA has assed up this game, what can I play? Haven't bought a game in months, probably a year since I paid for a AAA.