STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor™ (PS5, XSX, Steam, Epic) - early 2023

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Combat is definitely improved in this one. More stances, more powers, less feeling like a shitty Souls wannabe. Like I said last week, I think this game takes a lot more from games like God of War (and metroidvanias) than it does From Soft's stuff. It's well worth playing now with an EA Pro sub, even more so if you have an AMD GPU or a 40XX series that can take advantage of the DLSS modding people have been doing.

None of what you listed out has anything to do with the underlying engine though. You can add more options and flashy things but if the engine is still clunky and unresponsive, the combat will still feel bad (to some people). He quoted it as being clunky compared to Elden Ring or Bloodborne, which was exactly the type of thing I experienced with the first Jedi game.

Elden Ring = smooth, Jedi = clunky and unresponsive
WoW = smooth, other MMO's = clunky and unresponsive
Diablo 3 = smooth, PoE = clunky and unresponsive

It's a hard thing to put into words, especially as someone who isn't a programmer or engine designer. But my layman's guess would be that it has to do with the animations and frames used. In Elden Ring for instance, I'd guess there are fewer animation frames wasted on "wind-up" when you tell your character to attack or dodge roll or whatever. Then in Jedi, there are many more animation frames wasted on "wind-up" and it results in a feeling of unresponsive controls. I want my character to fucking ATTACK GODDAMMIT! And he's standing there like "yeah yeah I'll get around to it, give me a minute."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finished it the other day... I enjoyed it for what it is. I appreciate souls games, but I'm not particularly into them, so I'm happy with the Jedi games being... Well, dumbed down, I guess. Bosses were fine, though outside of spawn of ogdo, I felt like several regular encounters were harder than most boss fights just based on the combination of enemies. The bosses all have patterns you can exploit once you see their moveset, but certain groups of enemies just piss all over that.

Then there's spawn of ogdo which is just stupid. He's got insta-kill moves with next to no charge up, but completely differ in how you avoid them. It's just not fun.

Story wise, it's... Fine? A few things don't really add up...
first, tanalor and the nihil raiders... The Jedi abandoned tanalor specifically because the nihil raiders invaded but there is ZERO presence of them currently outside of a single wreck. They clearly chased the Jedi to tanalor but why? And why didn't they stay after the Jedi left?

Also Dagan being so mental about it feels forced... The ENTIRE reason he was so focused on it was because no one else could get to it. He wanted it to be a haven for Jedi but as soon as the nihil showed up, his entire reason for wanting to be there is out the window. He's got ZERO reasoning for having any further interest in the planet. It's a tactical nightmare to defend and supply.

Secondly, how on earth did bode hide who he was from cal? With his psychometry he should have figured out bode's secret on day one. There's even a ton of force echo's to pick up after you beat the game explaining bode's side of things. Cal should have seen all that RIGHT away. I get why it happened narratively, but I hate when stories introduce powers that only work when it's convenient for the story.

Thirdly, outside of cal and merrin (and I suppose bode and his wife), EVERY character is gay. Like 3 or 4 couples show up outside of cal and merrin and they are all gay/lesbian. Sigh...

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Does this run well on PC yet?

If you are on PC just sign up for a month of that EA sub and play it for a one month subscription at $14.99 and you could also probably knock out the deadspace remake there as well and cancel it.

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
None of what you listed out has anything to do with the underlying engine though. You can add more options and flashy things but if the engine is still clunky and unresponsive, the combat will still feel bad (to some people). He quoted it as being clunky compared to Elden Ring or Bloodborne, which was exactly the type of thing I experienced with the first Jedi game.

Elden Ring = smooth, Jedi = clunky and unresponsive
WoW = smooth, other MMO's = clunky and unresponsive
Diablo 3 = smooth, PoE = clunky and unresponsive

It's a hard thing to put into words, especially as someone who isn't a programmer or engine designer. But my layman's guess would be that it has to do with the animations and frames used. In Elden Ring for instance, I'd guess there are fewer animation frames wasted on "wind-up" when you tell your character to attack or dodge roll or whatever. Then in Jedi, there are many more animation frames wasted on "wind-up" and it results in a feeling of unresponsive controls. I want my character to fucking ATTACK GODDAMMIT! And he's standing there like "yeah yeah I'll get around to it, give me a minute."
Don't get me started on the time Cal takes to recover after dodging...rage inducing. He actually squats and groans for about a second. This is supposed to be a jedi for Christ's sake, not a little girl learning gymnastics

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't get me started on the time Cal takes to recover after dodging...rage inducing. He actually squats and groans for about a second. This is supposed to be a jedi for Christ's sake, not a little girl learning gymnastics
That's about the only thing I'd really call clunky/non-responsive (to the point of actually being a problem anyway). I don't even think it has i-frames unless you nail the "perfect dodge" which I think I've done 2 or 3 times total in 45 hours. Soon as I unlocked the dash I pretty much stopped using dodge at all because of it. Jump and air dash works better for just about everything, then re-engage using the hold-X attack (blaster stance is best stance, full stop). Plus that way you don't get surprised when you run into a fight like Son of Oggdo where it's impossible to dodge the one move that is almost always a one-shot. It will just track you no matter what if you dodge so you can only avoid it with a jump-dash or a double jump.

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
I think I'm going to respec into blaster, so far been using mostly Dual and twin sabers. I do use the jump dash a lot but neither of those stances has good reengagement afterwards

Argarth

On the verandah
Does this run well on PC yet?
db8bf706dc30c234b39d72d13806824894b516bfd7b217096b9b2af6361c2076.gif

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

I think I'm going to respec into blaster, so far been using mostly Dual and twin sabers. I do use the jump dash a lot but neither of those stances has good reengagement afterwards
Single saber probably is the best overall stance as it has a lot of strengths without any weaknesses. You'd think the blaster has the best range, but the air dash attack and the jump heavy attack on the single saber attack are REALLY string abilities that help you close distance really quickly.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's all about the blaster parry though.

(And you can cheese just about anything with charged shots if you need to.)

j00t

It's all about the blaster parry though.

(And you can cheese just about anything with charged shots if you need to.)
Blaster parry is good, but there's a force push parry that does the same thing but also hits multiple targets. Blaster stance is good, no doubt, just that single saber is entirely underrated. A lot of the blaster attacks are single target because even with the saber they are mostly stabs, but the single saber stance has a lot of swipes for hitting multiple targets.

But because jumping and air dashing/double jumping is so much more reliable than dodging, the air attacks from single saber are extremely valuable

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Thirdly, outside of cal and merrin (and I suppose bode and his wife), EVERY character is gay. Like 3 or 4 couples show up outside of cal and merrin and they are all gay/lesbian. Sigh...

What other couples? The only one I can think of are the two Statler and Waldorf type miners who stand around making heckling comments about everything and everyone and at one point one remarks that something they did counted as their first date. You have to go into the databank before it mentions them as an unconventional couple.
[/spolier]

j00t

What other couples? The only one I can think of are the two Statler and Waldorf type miners who stand around making heckling comments about everything and everyone and at one point one remarks that something they did counted as their first date. You have to go into the databank before it mentions them as an unconventional couple.
[/spolier]
yeah, those two are a couple. zygg and wini (sidequest where you have to find and help zygg over by the lucrehulk) end up as a couple. if you talk to them in the bar, they start flirting pretty hard then the database tells you specifically that they are beginning a romantic relationship. and then if you talk to moran in the bar, he's so mopey and pissy specifically because he and his partner split up. it feels at first like he's talking about a business partner, which he is, but the database specifically mentions his partner as a business and romantic partner, which is a guy. it never says his name, but it refers to him as a "he". i feel like i'm missing one?

i also just found out the other day that apparently in the book that covers time in between the two games that merrin hooks up with a girl while she's out on her space sabbatical. it also says that while she was on dathomir prior to the first game that she was with one of her nightsisters and that she expected to be with her until she died.

so literally the only traditional family unit that's represented is from the secret villain. i'm not one of those guys that's looking to be offended by every lgbtq mention, i just think it's a little on the nose. and hey, maybe it's not meant to be the way it looks, just the writers wanting to score brownie points with the woke crowd by adding as many non-traditional relationships as they can without making them front and center to avoid traditionalists getting upset, but just accidentally went overboard with it... i just found it silly. /shrug

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
Finished yesterday, was no joke on grandmaster difficulty. The bounty side quest was probably my favorite part of the game. I was able to max all the trees aside from 2 lightsabers, so got to try most styles out. Not sure I'll go the NG+ route on this one...anyone tried it?

spronk

FPS noob
Gotten a bit bored with TOTK so coming back to this, big patch yesterday which said it fixed a lot of performance issues. HDR definitely seems better on PS5, before I had it tweaked all the way up and now it looks way too bright so had to dial it back down to normal.

Having fun, after TOTK its nice playing a game with good visuals, NPCs who actually talk, and a lore filled world. Still really enjoying TOTK but that is more a chill and vibe game whereas Survivor is a great Star Wars game. Hoping to finish up in the next few days, almost got 2 planets already to 100% so hopefully 100%'ing the game isn't too bad after.