Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
In the movie about magic space knights and space cowboys and their never ending war against the imperialists governed by literal manifestations of the devil, a woman kicking ass is the thing that breaks your disbelief.

Maybe you just shouldn't let your bullshit politics ruin everything for you. Enjoy life bro, we'll all be dead soon enough.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dunno about sexist, but you do sound like a moron, as does everyone who hand wrings about 'mary sue' characters.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
No white knighting here at all, and that's the point. The SJW's can go fuck right off themselves for helping to spawn the equally annoying anti-SJW movement.

No reasonable person should give a shit about the sex/race/breakfast cereal preferences of a character if they suitably fill the role they're given. And again, we're talking about a film series in which loud noises occur in space, laser swords are a thing, four distinct beeps and/or bear growling sounds can constitute a comprehensive language, people can bend the laws of physics in all kinds of convenient ways, and all of that is fun and endearing, but if some fiesty bitch manages to beat up some dudes, it's just so distracting!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's a lot of neckbeard fedora MRA redpillers online who think Fury Road is feminazi social conditioning crap because of Furiosa too. I think we'd all agree that they are fucking retarded, so if we still find the movies enjoyable I'd say the same standard applies here.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Or just think of how many times in the SW movies a stormtrooper (you know, people trained all their life for combat and possessing full body armor) gets punched out and knocked out by various people in the movies using only their fists and legs (let alone get out shot by basically everyone). Totes realistic!

It's a fucking movie, ffs.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Making a women the central character when the franchise fanbase is overwhelmingly male was a bad idea. It will cost them in future as they have failed to link up with the young male audience the way the previous moves did. They likely also wont catch a female replacement audience to replace those they're losing. Casting choices was clearly politics before money in this movie.

Rey is not a bad character because she is female she is a bad character because she is over powered and completely marginalizes everyone around her.

Kylo is a JarJar tier villain who was literally castrated by Rey making sure that only Queen Rey would continue the Skywalker bloodline.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Making a women the central character when the franchise fanbase is overwhelmingly male was a bad idea. It will cost them in future as they have failed to link up with the young male audience the way the previous moves did. They likely also wont catch a female replacement audience to replace those they're losing. Casting choices was clearly politics before money in this movie.

Rey is not a bad character because she is female she is a bad character because she is over powered and completely marginalizes everyone around her.

Kylo is a JarJar tier villain who was literally castrated by Rey making sure that only Queen Rey would continue the Skywalker bloodline.
Your post is bad and you should feel bad. But you won't.

First, I have no idea why you think males cannot like a franchise because the main character is female. I personnally liked Force Awakens a lot, and the chick in Rogue One looks like she would do a good job. Now if every other Star Wars movie from now on features a female lead, sure I could be annoyed. Is it because the lead is female? No, it's because they're always doing the same shit over and over. But females aren't the problem, unless you're a virgin neckbeard whose masculinity is threatened when you're supposed to get involved in the story of a female character.

Secondly, I'm not sure how you can tell Rey or Kylo will end up being bad characters based on one movie out of a whole trilogy. Did you also think Leia was a Mary Sue after watching ANH? I mean, she resists torture no one usually resists, she lies about the Rebel Base even though Vader can normally read minds, she is an expert marksman even though she's a fucking princess, on top of being a tactician able to coordinate and lead a space attack on the fly after they escape from the Death Star.. That sounds no less overpowered than Rey being able to swing a lightsaber after discovering her latent Force abilities, or being able to tinker with shit after being a junkyard rat for 15 years.

I suppose it's now popular to hate on TFA because it was well-received.
rolleyes.png

In any case, I'm really excited about the direction the franchise is going so far, and I totally need to find a Grand Admiral uniform.
tongue.png

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Your post is bad and you should feel bad. But you won't.

First, I have no idea why you think males cannot like a franchise because the main character is female. I personnally liked Force Awakens a lot, and the chick in Rogue One looks like she would do a good job. Now if every other Star Wars movie from now on features a female lead, sure I could be annoyed. Is it because the lead is female? No, it's because they're always doing the same shit over and over. But females aren't the problem, unless you're a virgin neckbeard whose masculinity is threatened when you're supposed to get involved in the story of a female character.

Secondly, I'm not sure how you can tell Rey or Kylo will end up being bad characters based on one movie out of a whole trilogy. Did you also think Leia was a Mary Sue after watching ANH? I mean, she resists torture no one usually resists, she lies about the Rebel Base even though Vader can normally read minds, she is an expert marksman even though she's a fucking princess, on top of being a tactician able to coordinate and lead a space attack on the fly after they escape from the Death Star.. That sounds no less overpowered than Rey being able to swing a lightsaber after discovering her latent Force abilities, or being able to tinker with shit after being a junkyard rat for 15 years.

I suppose it's now popular to hate on TFA because it was well-received.
rolleyes.png

In any case, this trailer looked awesome, I'm really excited about Rogue One, and I totally need to find a Grand Admiral uniform.
tongue.png
Complete nonsense ask yourself why all those Disney princess movies have female leads? You know why because the audience for those moves are young females.

Rey turning bad would be interesting, odds of it happening are close to zero. They have already set her good guy nature in stone with her helping BB-8. They would have to completely demolish her existing character to turn her to the darkside. Liea was a strong female in an ensemble cast of equals. New Hope was the complete opposite of TFA in regards to not having one character over power the rest. The only overpowered one in New Hope was Vader the menacing villain that other had to overcome as a team. Note each of the four main characters had to confront Vadar at some point in a new hope.

Kylo is now in DBZ territory where he has to suddenly go over 9000 in order to become a credible threat to Rey again. ether that are just dump him as the main villain.

Really history will not look kindly upon Rey in TFA that is almost certain and that will only tangentially be because she was a female.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No reasonable person should give a shit about the sex/race/breakfast cereal preferences of a character if they suitably fill the role they're given.
I agree completely, everyone clamoring for more diversity in cinema is unreasonable. Because the majority of roles in the majority of cinema are a suitable fit. So let's quit with the forced diversity shit, eh?

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Making a women the central character when the franchise fanbase is overwhelmingly male was a bad idea.
I'm sure there have been mass firings for this as the movie only managed to scramble up $2 billion in worldwide theater ticket sales. Hey, on a completely unrelated note, did anyone notice that one of the two movies on top of it on the all-time worldwide chart found its standing thanks primarily to legions of teenage girls flooding into theaters over and over again? Oh, and does anyone remember that obscure video game from years ago with the chick treasure hunter as the protagonist? Man, did that thing fall flat on its face!

Anyway, I'm certain that we all can't wait for the "told ya so"s when Episode 8 falls slightly short of 7's gross. That'll obviously be the fault of those damn SJWs.

Complete nonsense ask yourself why all those Disney princess movies have female leads?
Wait, all those Disney princess movies have female leads? Next you'll be telling me there are outer space battles in all those Star Wars movies.

They have already set her good guy nature in stone with her helping BB-8.
Yeah, that little Anakin guy built C-3PO and was best buds with R2-D2, and he turned out alright.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Complete nonsense ask yourself why all those Disney princess movies have female leads? You know why because the audience for those moves are young females.
Because the Disney princess archetype was based on traditional fairy tales. The movies were marketed towards families as a whole, the princess role was simply the avenue of appeal for girls at the time those movies came out. They had other things to appeal to boys though they probably outgrew them faster than young girls did. The later movies made in the mold of the originals did a better job of having a more lasting appeal for them. TFA and now Rogue One are simply extending their appeal to girls and young women in the same manner.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

Rey turning bad would be interesting, odds of it happening are close to zero. They have already set her good guy nature in stone with her helping BB-8. They would have to completely demolish her existing character to turn her to the darkside. Liea was a strong female in an ensemble cast of equals. New Hope was the complete opposite of TFA in regards to not having one character over power the rest. The only overpowered one in New Hope was Vader the menacing villain that other had to overcome as a team. Note each of the four main characters had to confront Vadar at some point in a new hope.

Kylo is now in DBZ territory where he has to suddenly go over 9000 in order to become a credible threat to Rey again. ether that are just dump him as the main villain.

Really history will not look kindly upon Rey in TFA that is almost certain and that will only tangentially be because she was a female.
Kylo Ren isn't the main villian, unless they make a third movie power up or whatever. He is the redemption arc.

Caliane

Tombraider, Underworld, Resident Evil, Metroid, Bayonetta, Buffy the Vampire Slayer..

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
My feeling is, Snoke is a chaos archetype rather than yet another space Hitler. That's why he's not Sith - he wants destruction, not control. And so he drove Kylo batshit nuts and shit on Luke's attempt to bring back the Jedi. Snoke knew of the power and vulnerability in the Skywalkers.

It's not hard to keep going with the bad fan fiction and prequel retcons. He could be Anakin's magic daddy who manipulated him from the start. He could have fabricated the Chosen One myth so the Jedi would accept a kid that had such obvious issues. All to get the authoritarian factions to destroy one another. Because it gives him a boner or something.

It sounds awful but it's better than yet another space wizard out to rule the galaxy.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Tombraider, Underworld, Resident Evil, Metroid, Bayonetta, Buffy the Vampire Slayer..
Are all series where the paradigm was turned on its head at some point, disenfranchising young males? Nope. What's your argument here?

You've got it backwards. If you quoted the alternate reality version of Buffy where in season 5 they replace her with a dude, then you might have an argument.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is a new character, they aren't fucking turning Luke into a tranny. All these analogies are fucking garbage. If you can't show one fucking instance where simply introducing a female antagonist killed something because of alienating the male fanbase then GTFO. I'm sure Disney is fucking panicking from making 2 billion dollars off of one movie cause males can't handle a female lead.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
If Kylo Ren is the redemption arc and not the ultimate villian it will make a lot more sense. Without Kylo they basically have no one to connect to the boys watching the movie. Rey won't sell toys to boys or costumes or any of that shit. I have to assume Disney knows what they are doing, they are by far the best at knowing their audience and I think TFA was an attempt to expand the audience because they knew they could get away with one movie without much of a good male lead and in the next one we will see Kylo start to come around both as a more powerful fighter and hints of his redemption.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If Kylo Ren is the redemption arc and not the ultimate villian it will make a lot more sense. Without Kylo they basically have no one to connect to the boys watching the movie. Rey won't sell toys to boys or costumes or any of that shit. I have to assume Disney knows what they are doing, they are by far the best at knowing their audience and I think TFA was an attempt to expand the audience because they knew they could get away with one movie without much of a good male lead and in the next one we will see Kylo start to come around both as a more powerful fighter and hints of his redemption.
So, boys can't connect to Finn? He wasn't a male lead? Huh? It shouldn't matter he's not force sensitive since Han Solo was arguably more popular than Luke back in the day.