Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
rrr_img_106752.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why does Luke not only turn off his saber, while turning his back on Vader, but then also throw it way the fuck away while advancing towards the Emp with whom he is clearly about to be in a confrontation with? This is the kind of thing that makes people call Luke an idiot.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why does Luke not only turn off his saber, while turning his back on Vader, but then also throw it way the fuck away while advancing towards the Emp with whom he is clearly about to be in a confrontation with? This is the kind of thing that makes people call Luke an idiot.
OK, dudes on the Death Star 2 surrounded by tens of thousands of enemies and expecting to get blown up at any time by his friends. Pretttttty sure he thought it was a one way trip anyway tbh and that was only cemented after he failed to turn Vader before he had to beat the crap out of him.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I prefer the original lightsaber fights, but that might be only because I grew up with the originals and I'm getting conservative in my old age. Still, I feel they had more thought behind them, as if the fights were more a battle of wits than brawn. Like the battle between Obi Wan and Vader on the Death Star. I always felt there was also a mental "Force" duel going on that you could only partially see manifest in their non-hurried lightsaber fight. But maybe I'm wrong. Sue me.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I was thinking that the Obi Wan Vader fight from New Hope was lacking compared to the others, but I just rewatched it and it really wasn't. It looks like you would think 2 people fighting with extremely deadly weapons would. Sir Alec Guinness might be a little labored in his movements, but it's quite forgivable the scene has tension and gravity and good dialogue.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yep agreed you have that idea until you re watch and turns out it's pretty good.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was thinking that the Obi Wan Vader fight from New Hope was lacking compared to the others, but I just rewatched it and it really wasn't. It looks like you would think 2 people fighting with extremely deadly weapons would. Sir Alec Guinness might be a little labored in his movements, but it's quite forgivable the scene has tension and gravity andgood dialogue.
"Only a master of evil, Darth"

Like that shit was his first name or something.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah because if you were having the exact same conversation with Dooku, it wouldn't make any sense to say "Only a master of evil, Count"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure if serious? It isn't even remotely unusual to refer to someone by their title instead of their name.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Mr President. Counselor. Captain. Your honor. Yeah referring to people by titles, what kind of crazy shit is this?!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
His title is Lord Vader. I never heard any imperial officers or the emp refer to him as Darth. Darth is just some stupid crap they thought up for EP4 before there was any concept of sith and shit beyond, "hey this sounds menacing". It was used like his first name in that scene because they had no backstory for the character, he was just evil dude in black suit with scary weird name "Darth Vader".

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
did you guys know that some people refer to people of position by a generic title separate from their ACTUAL title? it's totally weird, i know. but i was downtown the other day and someone came up to Officer Jackson and called him, "sir." I was like, OFFICER IS NOT HIS FIRST NAME YOU MORAN

gatabrainmorans.jpg

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
His title is Lord Vader. I never heard any imperial officers or the emp refer to him as Darth. Darth is just some stupid crap they thought up for EP4 before there was any concept of sith and shit beyond, "hey this sounds menacing". It was used like his first name in that scene because they had no backstory for the character, he was just evil dude in black suit with scary weird name "Darth Vader".
Ep IV Scene I, Princess captured and delivered to Darth Vader. 8mins into the movie. Princess to Vader "Darth Vader, only you could be so bold."

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Sidenote, but ya. Lucas had no big plan with this other than twins and a father. If you want to believe that?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ep IV Scene I, Princess captured and delivered to Darth Vader. 8mins into the movie. Princess to Vader "Darth Vader, only you could be so bold."
Not just Darth alone though, full name, Darth Vader. And that was clearly done 100% to introduce the character by name.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make. If the whole back story with the Sith didn't exist back then, and Darth was his first name instead of a Sith title, it's still appropriate for Ben, who previously had aclose personal relationship with him, to call him by his first name. The people who refer to him as Lord Vader do it out of respect or fear.

Incidentally, the scene Neir is talking about, Princess Leia refers to him as Lord Vader, not Darth Vader. You do not hear the name Darth until Luke asks Ben what happened to his father.

A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father.
In point of fact, nobody says 'Darth' again until Return of the Jedi when Luke is talking to Yoda, and then again to Ben's ghost. So it's entirely possible that nobody but the Jedi and the Emperor even know the name Darth, and the Emperor still calls him Lord Vader out of respect for his service. So yeah the name Darth itself is kind of dumb, but their use of it is quite consistent throughout the movies, and retroactively changing it to be a Sith title fits perfectly.