Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Jive Turkey

Karen
Well here's the counter point:

"Now more girls will be into Star Wars!"

But we know that's not true, most girls are more concerned with Frozen 2 or the next Twilight, all the they did is polarize the demographic, one of the biggest money making demographics that exists, for a power move.

But there is a legitimate following of female fans, who are serious Star Wars nerds, and they saw the same movie we did and realize that wasn't even a Star Wars movie, and that the franchise is over.

Either way, it was such a weird move. They took the biggest franchise in movie franchise history and thought "lets try to change demographics". It makes no sense. And it's obvious to anyone who's paying even the slightest bit of attention. Rey, Jyn, Holdo, Rose, the fact that every guy in the franchise is essentially the idiot commercial husband character. I didn't even think Rey was a bad choice, but since then they've just been piling on the pandering

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All you muppets complaining about lightspeed physics in these movies need to give their heads a shake. Travelling at lightspeed ALREADY poses a universe breaking suspension of disbelief because everyone would age at inconsistent rates at best and would arrive at their destinations in the far distant future at worst. Sort your autism out

y76j60p.png

• 3Worf

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
To give credit where credit's due, the best decision Johnson made was not using a laugh track like he was so obviously right on the verge of doing.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just went to go see this finally with my nephew and step son.

I fell asleep after Liea Poppins and I literally didnt wake up until the guy next to me said excuse me to leave as the credits rolled.

I at least wanted to see the Luke vs Kylo fight. But I missed it. Oh well.

• 3Worf

Fadaar

That guy
What do you mean STEM, shitlord.

Haven't you heard? We're using STEAM now! (A is for Arts)

Oh my fucking god I thought this was a joke, just saw a commercial for... STEAM... fuck this earth. Bring on the apocalypse.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
All you muppets complaining about lightspeed physics in these movies need to give their heads a shake. Travelling at lightspeed ALREADY poses a universe breaking suspension of disbelief because everyone would age at inconsistent rates at best and would arrive at their destinations in the far distant future at worst. Sort your autism out
upload_2017-12-26_21-36-50.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
Oh, good it's keg killer. I guess he found his nipple clamps and is ready to spend weeks talking about a movie franchise he hates

• 2Worf
  • 2Barf
  • 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hyperspace is not just having an FTL drive speed you up super fast, you literally jump into an alternate dimension. So nitpicky sperging about time dilation does not apply.

• 2Worf

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Oh, good it's keg killer. I guess he found his nipple clamps and is ready to spend weeks talking about a movie franchise he hates
A franchise I hate? I'm a big fan of Star Wars. The problem is that these abortions from Disney aren't Star Wars.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Meanwhile, RIP Alfie Curtis, Dr. Evazan from ANH.

Can't we all just....get along?

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity

MobileGoo

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wow, thought it was pretty good myself. Well, enjoy the hate folks. Change isn't neccessarily bad.

• 7Barf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
This movie is a disaster.

It's probably the director's fault, but the lines are delivered so poorly that I thought I was watching a workshop production at times. The outbursts from some of the characters are just fucking bizarre. I half expected Kylo Ren to yell, "Mom! Get out of my room!"

Finn's plotline is totally pointless. Is there supposed to be a half-baked political message in there somewhere? Why is Benicio Del Toro's character just chilling in the cell if he had the means to escape?

Rey's development does not feel earned in the least. There's nothing about the way her character has been presented to suggest she's a Jedi savior. Pacing in general is a major issue. The movie basically felt like a 3-hour gunfight as characters were coming and going for no real reason. There were some good ideas but everything fell flat, especially the humor.

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
TLJ have compounded my doubts against Solo.

I mentioned the comparisons to the DC movies and the narrative of failure that Lucasfilm is starting to run the risk of. Solo is poised to throw fuel on that fire. The news surrounding it has been largely negative so far and it's in a very unforgiving spot on the calendar (3 weeks after IW and the week before Deadpool 2 with Incredibles 2 a couple of weeks after that). Having spent more time in reshoots than most movies spend in principle photography it's easily going to be the most expensive of the new SW movies going in so the break even point is going to be high (though Lucasfilm will probably play coy or outright lie about the budget). It's basically set up to generate bad headline after bad headline.

They need it to be a Wonder Woman and even that couldn't keep the DC ship afloat all on it's own. If they end up with a Suicide Squad instead it's gonna turn ugly real quick.

Last edited:
  • 3Solidarity

Jive Turkey

Karen
Having spent more time in reshoots than most movies spend in principle photography

Was this all after Ron Howard came on though? I wonder if it might actually be a good sign that they spent a lot of time re-jigging the movie with the new director rather than shooting a handful of new scenes and reordering what was already done? I still think the Solo movie is a bad idea in general (Donald Glover? No fucking thank you), but this could be a good sign rather than a bad one

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Thats one of the things I love about movies and TV, there is literally no way to know until the finished product is in front of you. All us armchair movie execs love to think that we could tell a great movie just from the script but I'm pretty sure thats not true. Many brilliant movies have had absolutely miserable productions -- Titanic famously went massively over budget, had tons of reshoots, had to have a second studio step in to help get it distributed, etc, etc and is considered a pretty great movie. Same with Godfather, Goodfellas, Platoon, Blade Runner, and a ton of other top 100 movies. Of course on the flip side movies like Suicide Squad, Alien Covenant, Flatliners, Justice League, etc had rewrites and reshoots and director problems and turned out to be terrible movies so who knows.

I'm excited for Solo, its either going to be awesome or a complete trainwreck, I don't see it just being "... meh" like TLJ with people like Ron Howard involved and the rumors that the script was the best star wars story script to date, that L&M got fired because they didn't stick to the script, that the lead actor is both awesome and the worst actor ever, on and on.

• 2Like

Royal

Was this all after Ron Howard came on though?

After.

Lord and Miller had less than 4 weeks left in principle when they were cut loose. Howard finished that out and then the scheduled 5 weeks of reshoots turned into 4 months worth. He pretty much reshot the whole movie.

Royal

thats not true. Many brilliant movies have had absolutely miserable productions -- Titanic famously went massively over budget, had tons of reshoots, had to have a second studio step in to help get it distributed, etc, etc and is considered a pretty great movie. Same with Godfather, Goodfellas, Platoon, Blade Runner, and a ton of other top 100 movies. Of course on the flip side movies like Suicide Squad, Alien Covenant, Flatliners, Justice League, etc had rewrites and reshoots and director problems and turned out to be terrible movies so who knows.

Don't forget Apocalypse Now and Jaws, two movies with such epic production problems they had documentaries made about all the production problems. The one about Jaws is fascinating (for me at least, I love that movie so much).

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Shouldn't there at least be a teaser trailer out at this point for this Han Solo movie? I think the fact that there isn't probably says something. I would imagine they would have wanted to run it in front of TLJ.

Hopefully they learn a lesson from this impending disaster and give us what the fans really want to see: a General Grievous biopic.

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users