Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
No way I'm finishing BG3 before this comes out so you my friends, are the mine canaries for this. Your feedback will determine if I gamepass or buy this. I'm sure I'll try it out, at least to show myself how old my 2019 era PC really is.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

How can you have a "season pass" for a single player RPG? Like Ambiturner indicated, that's a GAAS feature to maintain engagement and keep you playing. There aren't any rewards to earn here. BG3 doesn't have a season pass and no one said a thing but IIRC hey had a deluxe as well? I don't remember now. I was scared I wasn't going to get finished with it before Starfield came out as we had some vacations planned and I wasn't feeling well and now it seems I would have been able to do it pretty easily. Basically they are just going for the upsell on the box copy and already have main-quest DLC planned/already in the can.

What I really intended to post was that I am ready; I am preloaded, have my Xbox and my PC ready; I upgraded to 64GB of RAM and a 7900XTX and plan on playing primarily on the PC but have the Xbox as a back up just in case. I can't remember being this excited for a game since some of the big MMO Launches 15+ years ago. Maybe GW2 in 2012? That was great.

If it doesn't live up we still have Armored Core 6 and BG3 to fall back on. I am doing a run of Deus Ex Human Revolution to keep me busy while I wait.
"Season pass" dlc has been a thing for a while in quite a few games. no its not the "season pass" as those battlepass's etc.

In these games, its typically a years worth of DLC or so.

Here's Wrath of the righteous's Season pass 1.

$28.99
"Get access to the three upcoming DLCs and save on purchasing them individually."
dLC #1 Inevitable Excess. -a high level edition to the campaign. side quest. or can create and import a level 20 character for the campaign. (good for testing builds)
dLC #2 Through the ashes. -totally new low level campaign. create a new party.
dLC #3 Treasure of the midnight isles. -A rogue-like stand alone game, and also integrated into the main campaign.

s1 is over.
Dates released. Wotr itself 12/2021.
dlc #1- march 2022, #2-april 2022, #3-aug 2022
so 6months of DLC.
I got them all via sales at 75% (or more)off. didnt actually play inevitable excess or through the ashes yet. treasure of midnight isles is awful.

we are on SEASON PASS #2 for wrath of the righteous.

$28.99
put on sale oct 2022.
DLC #4 the Last Sarkorian is out now. New companion, new quests directly implemented into main campaign, new playable class. this one is "worth it"
12.99 standalone. march 2023 released.
DLC #5 "This new standalone campaign picks up where the “Through the Ashes” story left off."
DLC #6 "During your first visit to Kenabres, things did not go well. Now that the demonic assault has been thwarted, and the crusaders are preparing their final counterattack, why not take a little break? " this one is being teased. its a beach episode.

last sarkorian has not gone on sale yet.

Skyrim itself had a season pass didn't it? hrm, not seeing any details.

Fallout 4 season pass 1. $34.99
Automatron, Wasteland Workshop, Far Harbor, Contraptions Workshop, Vault-Tec Workshop, and Nuka-World

an obvious issue is "season pass" content goes on sale frequently, thus ends up cheaper then the "season pass" discount.
ALSO is often included in "game of the year", or "definitive" editions.
like, fallout 4 goty edition. has all the dlc. or, as I mentioned when playing skyrim again this year via gamepass.. has ALL the dlc, and creation kit content in the anniversary edition.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
No way I'm finishing BG3 before this comes out so you my friends, are the mine canaries for this. Your feedback will determine if I gamepass or buy this. I'm sure I'll try it out, at least to show myself how old my 2019 era PC really is.

Bethesda games are best played after a few patches and some time for the modders to work.

Diving in day 1 is like paying full price for early access. Fortunately, even if you do, there's the people who paid EXTRA for actual early access that you can sneer at for being suckers 8)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do mods work on Game Pass games? I know in the past it's been a convoluted mess doing anything with Game Pass. Not sure if it's improved in the last ~year.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I get the feeling I'm going to preorder Starfield, go hard for a couple of months and then when I do a replay in a few years pirate whatever dumbass horse ship armor DLC there is and smash it together with the other mega mods.

Shit, I'm pretty sure for ES4/5 and Fallout 3 / NV I didn't even bother playing the Steam game I bought, instead having a totally isolated and modified game I pirated independently.

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do mods work on Game Pass games? I know in the past it's been a convoluted mess doing anything with Game Pass. Not sure if it's improved in the last ~year.
Yes and no. The days of the entire Windows Store directory being encrypted are long gone. You can use most mods with the Game Pass version of Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc. However, mods that require SKSE/F4SE are still impossible because the executables are encrypted and also often a different version from the Steam release, so the teams that make the script extenders have ruled out ever supporting the Game Pass versions. I would expect the same situation to happen with Starfield.

So it depends on what kind of mods are important to you. If you mostly just download texture replacers and other graphical overhaul type mods or bugfix compilations, you won't miss not having the script extender. Stuff like SkyUI, which imo is the only way to make Skyrim's interface/inventory bearable to use, can't exist without SKSE. Same goes for massive overhaul projects, almost anything that adds new animations or physics, and some other fairly obscure stuff. If you go to the F4SE or SKSE64 pages at Nexus you can click on 'requirements' and see a list of every mod that has the SE as a dependency.

Also, mods try harder these days to not use script extenders unless absolutely necessary because doing so rules out their mods from ever working on the console version. Going from memory, since it's been quite a while since I last played any Bethesda game, but my recollection is that NVSE was absolutely required, SKSE was mostly just for SkyUI, and I know I had F4SE installed but I don't think it was for anything I couldn't live without.

Personally I'm going to play it on Game Pass for the ability to use cross-save with Series X, and if there ever comes a day when there's a must-have mod that uses SFSE or whatever they decide to call it then I'll just pirate the Steam version.

Including the first expansion in the initial game is weird. I can't remember any other game doing that.
That's Microsoft's strategy for getting Game Pass members to shell out extra cash on release day rather than X months down the road when the DLC actually comes out. They did the same thing with Forza. Game Pass was able to upgrade to the premium edition that included all the DLC plus the car pass and VIP membership for $50 on release day.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll play and see, mainly as the premium edition came with my new GPU.

And they went out of the way to prevent you from selling the codes for it. With having first create an account and 2nd run a verification tool to check for the hardware on the PC, before you can claim the codes.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll play and see, mainly as the premium edition came with my new GPU.

And they went out of the way to prevent you from selling the codes for it. With having first create an account and 2nd run a verification tool to check for the hardware on the PC, before you can claim the codes.
I'm thinking about building a new PC for Starfield (TIME IS RUNNING OUT). Not sure if my GTX1080 Ti and .... 5th? generation i7 processor is up to the task for another run through the gamebryo engine.

7wfvqv.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You guys didn't learn your lesson with D4. Definitely wait a month before buying.

• 10Like
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 11 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont know what it is, but Im just not that hyped for this. Like everything Im coming across is just not a screaming endorsement for the game. I dont know if Im passively comparing it to Skyrim or something, but I just get the feeling that this is going to be a broken mess past the noobie experience. Really going to need those of you that pre-ordered to give some in depth review type of posts after it launches.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You guys didn't learn your lesson with D4. Definitely wait a month before buying.
There's no "lesson" to be learned when the game is on Game Pass.

That said, I still might be one of the idiots who buys the upgrade version. I've got MS bucks expiring and unless reviews change my mind on Armored Core 6, nothing else to spend them on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As Vorph Vorph said, the only reason I'm even considering this one at release is because of Game Pass. Otherwise there's no reason to bother. I'm not that excited for it. And I'm almost positive it'll be a bug ridden mess for a week or two. But for a Game Pass sub for a month? Seems like a good way to kill some time.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone that's been gaming for a while (which includes all you old fuckers) that learned any lessons with D4 is probably beyond help.

Not only has BGS earned my preorder $$$ with 30 years of ambitious game development but I'm willing to throw $$$ at basically anyone creating an open-world space RPG with shooting/space combat like Starfield. I recently kickstarted based on nothing but a fancy vid and maybe a space game in the future.

I've not only pre-ordered Starfield, but preordered Elder Scrolls 6, 7, 8 and Starfield 2: The Fields are Starrier. I never even considered playing FO76 and didn't like ESO at release (neither of which I consider developed by the same group as Skyrim and Fallout 4), but BGS sticking with them and turning them into games liked by their players builds their reputation even further.

If Starfield turns out to be a dumpster fire that I quit in 5 hours and BGS shrugs at and drops it, I'll still happily preorder the next open world space-combat RPG.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for this link earlier. Escape Velocity

As a computer retard, any guide how to run these, should I go via wine, or the download links give me a normal game folder, do I just extract that and run as is? It sounded like there should be more steps.

The nova folder seems to work, but the original 2 I was looking for appear to give me empty zipped files.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes and no. The days of the entire Windows Store directory being encrypted are long gone. You can use most mods with the Game Pass version of Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc. However, mods that require SKSE/F4SE are still impossible because the executables are encrypted and also often a different version from the Steam release, so the teams that make the script extenders have ruled out ever supporting the Game Pass versions. I would expect the same situation to happen with Starfield.

So it depends on what kind of mods are important to you. If you mostly just download texture replacers and other graphical overhaul type mods or bugfix compilations, you won't miss not having the script extender. Stuff like SkyUI, which imo is the only way to make Skyrim's interface/inventory bearable to use, can't exist without SKSE. Same goes for massive overhaul projects, almost anything that adds new animations or physics, and some other fairly obscure stuff. If you go to the F4SE or SKSE64 pages at Nexus you can click on 'requirements' and see a list of every mod that has the SE as a dependency.

Also, mods try harder these days to not use script extenders unless absolutely necessary because doing so rules out their mods from ever working on the console version. Going from memory, since it's been quite a while since I last played any Bethesda game, but my recollection is that NVSE was absolutely required, SKSE was mostly just for SkyUI, and I know I had F4SE installed but I don't think it was for anything I couldn't live without.

Personally I'm going to play it on Game Pass for the ability to use cross-save with Series X, and if there ever comes a day when there's a must-have mod that uses SFSE or whatever they decide to call it then I'll just pirate the Steam version.

That's Microsoft's strategy for getting Game Pass members to shell out extra cash on release day rather than X months down the road when the DLC actually comes out. They did the same thing with Forza. Game Pass was able to upgrade to the premium edition that included all the DLC plus the car pass and VIP membership for $50 on release day.

Modding without a script extender is not gonna go very far, I wouldn't recommend anyone who is interested in a modded playthrough later to buy from the Windows Store. That said, if you have gamepass you could just play it for free now, and buy it on Steam in a year or whenever you decide to play it again with lots of mods. It might go on sale or they release a new version (special edition, anniversary edition, enhanced, complete, etc) also.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Steam for me all the way. SKSE or whatever it will be for this game, is like a req for all the good mods.

• 2Like

Burns

Modding without a script extender is not gonna go very far, I wouldn't recommend anyone who is interested in a modded playthrough later to buy from the Windows Store. That said, if you have gamepass you could just play it for free now, and buy it on Steam in a year or whenever you decide to play it again with lots of mods. It might go on sale or they release a new version (special edition, anniversary edition, enhanced, complete, etc) also.
Yar. Gamepass always seems like the best deal for new game, if it's available. Even at the full price of $10 for 30 days, it should be plenty of time to get through a game once, then wait for a sale in 6 months to a years time.

At worst, the game's sale price is only $10 off, and you pay the same price. At best, you get a discounted rate and/or a DLC or two thrown in as a bundle (or are only out $10 for a trash game and maybe not even that, if you use the gamepass to play other games).

Fadaar

That guy
I'll pick this up on sale next year and immediately hit up Nexusmods for the 30 required mods to make the game playable

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users