Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I bet you do what I do; avoid the main story and search every single drawer to every single burned out house for 20 hours and then hit the first real village. I am accidentally doing the same thing right now with BG3 and have to force myself to do the quest so I don't get burned out.

You should really give New Vegas a chance and do nothing but the main quest for about 10 hours. Then, once you are into the story or feel VERY week, start doing some side quests.
What do you mean "hoarding"?!?! It's not hoarding! Those 200 broken forks might come in handy some time! What if there's an NPC in some village across the map that wants them? Who'd be laughing then??

/me console commands an extra 500 units of carrying capacity...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
You don't fill one of your houses with boxes full of moldy cheese and silver goblets? /looksinmirror

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Release: wander around for 30-60 hours doing pretty much anything but the main story, get distracted by the next new game to come out, eventually uninstall to make space.

6-12 months later, and again each time new DLC is released: reinstall, spend twice as much time downloading, installing, and tweaking mods as actually playing the game, then uninstall again.

That's every Bethesda game, ever for me.
Me too. I do finish the games tho. Still worth.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What do you mean "hoarding"?!?! It's not hoarding! Those 200 broken forks might come in handy some time! What if there's an NPC in some village across the map that wants them? Who'd be laughing then??

That was me in BG3. "I better keep this random letter/item, some NPC is going to react to it later!"

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Me too. I do finish the games tho. Still worth.
I gotta imagine this community has a high density of disciplined neckbeards that beat these giant sprawling RPGs on their first playthrough, compared to other gaming communities. I know I not only beat Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 1, 3, 4, New Vegas on my first playthroughs, but also did pretty much all the notable things I could find to do in them.

I don't know much about Starfield but I imagine it'll be the same. Starfield is supposed to have 1,000 planets that are around 1:20 scale and fully traversable, but I imagine that 99% of the player-interesting content will be obvious and I'll do the same routine of moving through like the locust-that-could.

As an aside, whenever I've played a BGS I've wished they went harder on the procedural gameplay and I imagine it'll be the same with Starfield. They are the biggest developer trying to create sandbox games with emergent gameplay, and there's so many other big budget developers creating theme-park style RPGs (And we've just had a fantastic one in BG3). In many ways they were more ambitious with Daggerfall, having a randomly generated world that could experience massive changes like towns being wiped out by plagues (IIRC). Seeing them try to push that in Starfield would be great, but I'm probably in a minority that would rather fight in an interstellar war generated for me with generated combatants and unique results than fight in an artisinally crafted one with carefully constructed lore.

Burns

I gotta imagine this community has a high density of disciplined neckbeards that beat these giant sprawling RPGs on their first playthrough, compared to other gaming communities. I know I not only beat Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 1, 3, 4, New Vegas on my first playthroughs, but also did pretty much all the notable things I could find to do in them.

I don't know much about Starfield but I imagine it'll be the same. Starfield is supposed to have 1,000 planets that are around 1:20 scale and fully traversable, but I imagine that 99% of the player-interesting content will be obvious and I'll do the same routine of moving through like the locust-that-could.

As an aside, whenever I've played a BGS I've wished they went harder on the procedural gameplay and I imagine it'll be the same with Starfield. They are the biggest developer trying to create sandbox games with emergent gameplay, and there's so many other big budget developers creating theme-park style RPGs (And we've just had a fantastic one in BG3). In many ways they were more ambitious with Daggerfall, having a randomly generated world that could experience massive changes like towns being wiped out by plagues (IIRC). Seeing them try to push that in Starfield would be great, but I'm probably in a minority that would rather fight in an interstellar war generated for me with generated combatants and unique results than fight in an artisinally crafted one with carefully constructed lore.
I played Morrowind through numerous times, but going from that to Oblivion was so disappointing that I stopped at around 50% and never went back. I might have made it through 60% of Skyrim vanilla before growing bored, but mods really fixed most of it's problems and completed it on a later playthrough.

Fallout 3 was trash, with no choice and consequence that made the first 2 games great, so I think I made it through 20% of that game. It also tainted New Vegas, but I was able to complete it once. Fallout 4 was a bit better, but still many of the same Beth problems. I probably made it through 50% of that game. Tried FO4 with mods a few times, but don't think I was able to finish it, even then.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
1000 planets huh?

Tuco Tuco looks like we may need to bust out the google sheets and divide and conquer. Noting the interesting ones worth doing.

• 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I played Morrowind through a couple times, but going from that to Oblivion was so disappointing that I stopped at around 50% and never went back. I might have made it through 60% of Skyrim vanilla before growing bored, but mods really fixed most of it's problems and completed it on a later playthrough.

Fallout 3 was trash, with no choice and consequence that made the first 2 games great, so I think I made it through 20% of that game. It also tainted New Vegas, but I was able to complete it once. Fallout 4 was a bit better, but still many of the same Beth problems. I probably made it through 50% of that game. Tried FO4 with mods a few times, but don't think I was able to finish it, even then.
Fallout 3 was awesome except for the last 5% of the game.

• 1Worf

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider

Have you seen the AI follower mod for Skyrim? I can't wait for that kind of stuff to really take off. AI companions, villains, rivals, maybe an AI dungeon master shaping your playthrough. "Not mmos" where everyone else is AI would be awesome too.

Burns

Fallout 3 was awesome except for the last 5% of the game.
No GIF

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have you seen the AI follower mod for Skyrim? I can't wait for that kind of stuff to really take off. AI companions, villains, rivals, maybe an AI dungeon master shaping your playthrough. "Not mmos" where everyone else is AI would be awesome too.
I haven't tried any of them but keep tabs on them since I'm super into gaming, RPGs, sandboxes and AI. I'm way more into how something like a large language model could dynamically change a game's world, opponents, mechanics etc than what it spits out for "act as fisherman mcgee and tell the player about the fish you just caught". Like, where if you give Fisherman McGee some uber fishing pole, his wealth goes up, he buys new clothes, changes his lifestyle, etc. Or, like you said, an interaction with a AI DM that drives the game somehow.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In terms of open world shooter RPGs that came out by 2008, Fallout 3 is awesome.

There's the world. It's a total shit hole. Who knows what's going to happen. Go wherever you want, explore wherever you want. Degeneracy and adventure awaits.

• 5Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1000 planets huh?

Tuco Tuco looks like we may need to bust out the google sheets and divide and conquer. Noting the interesting ones worth doing.
yeah I haven't been following starfield hardly at alllll but I imagine it'll be like Daggerfall where the planets serve as a backdrop to build a bunch of quests on. Daggerfall's land mass was like, the size of Britain and it had over 4000 dungeons. You could just set off in one direction and tackle random dungeons, but you're better off following quests and ignore any dungeon you didn't have a quest to go to. When you beat everything you'd reasonably want to do in the game you'd have experienced some 1% of the dungeons and that's totally OK because the next 99% of them probably looked liked the first 1%.

In Morrowind and later BGS games that approach would create a sort of randomly sampled world that made it hard to track which dungeons you went to, but I predict in Starfield that's not as big of a problem given the difference in travel modalities.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I liked the modern Fallouts.

Although I wouldn’t complain if they made a BG3 style Fallout game

• 2Like