Stargate Reboot

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been in the works for a few years now, some concepts and details are already out thereGateWorld >> Stargate Reboot Will Embrace Elements Of SG-1

?Elements of [Stargate SG-1] will flow into the reboot, definitely,? Emmerich said in a Q&A with readers of Empire magazine, which he is guest-editing this week. ?The amount of characters, for instance. It?s not a two-hander like the first one with James Spader and Kurt Russell, this time it?s a bigger group.?

?Yes, there?s still the James Spader character and the Kurt Russell character, but other people are equally important,? Emmerich added. That could mean a reboot that still features Colonel Jack O?Neill and Dr. Daniel Jackson, with new actors filling those roles. Or Emmerich might just mean that those character types will be present on the new team.

The director also said that Russell and Spader wouldn?t be in the film (unless they can be booked for cameos). ?It?ll be a younger cast,? he said.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Stargate is ripe for a reboot but I don't like the idea of ignoring the entire TV series.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Those guys didn't really like where the story went in SG-1 so it'd be interesting to see what they do with it. I like both the movie and the T.V. show but I hope they don't try to shoehorn them together because there are some fundamental differences in the universe.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
"Indeed."

rrr_img_135957.jpg

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Since when do those two give a shit about the story of their movies?
Yea, I'd forgotten Emmerich was the writer/director forThe Patriot,2012, andThe Day After tomorrowamong other things. All his movies are explosions, family related drama, and a love plot on the b story but in different settings. The story is just an excuse to go to those places.

Cybsled

If they are going to reboot, they need to go full reboot and have different characters/lore than the original movie or the show. Most fans of the IP are fans because of the show, not the movie from the early 90s.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm OK with this. The shows were their own thing and SG1 was awesome in its own right. The movie was not 'awful' but it was easily overshadowed by SG1 so I don't really have a problem with it.

I feel kind of weird that they're rebooting and I'm not upset...

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm a fan because of Kurt in the movie then MacGuver in the show . Plus I thought it was really different when the movie came out. I had never really heard of any Sci Fi like that.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I am a huge fan of the shows and would really like to see more stargate content. I think its time for a whole new group of characters, let Jack, Daniel and Sam end. I would also like them to not use the Goa'uld as well.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I'm a fan because of Kurt in the movie then MacGuver in the show . Plus I thought it was really different when the movie came out. I had never really heard of any Sci Fi like that.
I thought it was a cool take on the "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic/god powers" trope.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since copying other's work is a whole lot easier than making something unique, I'm sure this will be a reboot and not something original (hi2u Ghostbusters).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Since copying other's work is a whole lot easier than making something unique, I'm sure this will be a reboot and not something original (hi2u Ghostbusters).
I'm not sure the same person remaking a film is really the same thing. In fact I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, I'm sure there are some but it's unusual. Maybe you deserve a pass if you want artistic license to change your own work OH FUCK GEORGE LUCAS

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The question we all are thinking.. will there be full frontal nudity with bush?

spronk

FPS noob
Amazon has owned MGM for a while now (Bond, Stargate) and has tapped a few people to give them pitches, they will start with a movie and maybe future TV shows?

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
An all black transwoman SG team would be lit, sadly I doubt we'll get anything that amusing.

Cybsled

If they go with a full or mostly full reboot, then it will have to be pretty damn charming to get people back. Reboot/remakes can be good, like the new BSG vs. the 70s/80s one. SG1 and its kin have like 20 years of lore, so I can understand why a creative team might not want to feel hamstrung by that. But by that same token, if you toss all that out, you'll alienate a lot of fans.