State Jobs

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I'm getting out the military in about 14 months and I was just curious when would be a good time to apply for a State or Federal job (specifically in NC). I know it takes a while sometimes to hear anything back so I was hoping to be on the ball now rather than right before I get out. Also, I'm not really sure what level of a job I can apply for and expect to be considered for. Unfortunately I've been given several different roles and duties in the military so it's hard to list everything in a resume format that a potential employer would understand. I will have 4 years federal work experience by the time I get out and I've also got 2 associate degrees, a bachelor's, and a year and a half towards a master's. I really need a State or Federal job because if I have a job serving the public in some capacity my student loan payments will be drastically less. If anyone has anything to share about how I can go about this the best way it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I'm getting out the military in about 14 months and I was just curious when would be a good time to apply for a State or Federal job (specifically in NC). I know it takes a while sometimes to hear anything back so I was hoping to be on the ball now rather than right before I get out. Also, I'm not really sure what level of a job I can apply for and expect to be considered for. Unfortunately I've been given several different roles and duties in the military so it's hard to list everything in a resume format that a potential employer would understand. I will have 4 years federal work experience by the time I get out and I've also got 2 associate degrees, a bachelor's, and a year and a half towards a master's. I really need a State or Federal job because if I have a job serving the public in some capacity my student loan payments will be drastically less. If anyone has anything to share about how I can go about this the best way it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

my 2 cents, apply for a job at the Naval Shipyard. After Apprenticeship you will be pulling down $35 an hr + crazy bennies. I tried 3 X to get in, passed tests and interviews but lost out to Vets getting preference. Vets also get preference working for USPS.

Brush up on your math for the Shipyard tests. They are looking for people with college level Math and English now days.

Edit; Oops NCs naval shipyard closed a long while back. nm

A union head at the local shipyard told me the trick to get a good U.S. gov job was get hired for any .gov job on a Mil Base, once you are in you can apply for any opening listed and get preference.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Also, I don't know if it is still in effect but U.S. Forestry was also doing a lot of hiring over the past few years. I got a ton of spam from them, and a lot of the positions required a college degree but it did not have to specific to the field, i.e. you could get a botany related position with a degree in History.

• 1Like

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Ah cool thanks! Yeah, I know that the easiest job to get with the state is with the Dept. of Corrections...Not really a field I want to get into but I'll take it if I need to. I will definitely look into Forestry though. Thanks for sharing.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Good luck, hit refresh on USAJOBS every couple days. New stuff pops pretty often, at least in my area.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't work at the usps, they start at 16.50/hr now and raises are extremely slow. Used to start at 22.50

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
There is another better site that someone who works fed turned me and I cannot for the life of me remember what its called, do you know Sui?
ClearanceJobs or the ones like it?

There used to be a ton but fed jobs are only on USAjobs now if I recall correctly.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Dunno if it is still around but there was a fed jobs site beside USAJ , that had a fancier tools and filters and such. Was more modern looking layout and had listings that I had never seen pop on USAJ.

Guy who pointed me toward it said that was where Fed workers look for better gigs to transfer to.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I don't understand how the GS codes work. How do I know what to apply for? Should I expect something in the 35k-60k range...I know thats a big gap, but I just don't know what I'd be considered for. GS-7?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
You should try and go Fed Fire Fighter, they do fuck all sitting at the airport wait for a plane crash that never happens. Any FF gig is sweet and pays well.

I take that back City Fire spends most of their time peeling drunks out of wrecks, fuck that noise.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I'm just not sure if I could expect something higher than the level they recommend because of my work experience. I'd be fine with GS-7 but just not sure if it would be worth my time to apply for anything higher than that despite the position I hold at the moment,

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My wife and mom both work for the VA and this whole GS thing always confuses me. Like my mom started off as a GS-5 and is now a GS-15 step 10. I keep trying to convince her she could make more with her qualifications but she's just interested in retirement. Then the wife is GS-13 and apparently can't go any hire based on her position. And there aren't really "merit" increases? It is just you work for 1 year at step 3 and then you get step 4, then you work 2 years and get step 5, etc... Like, what if you're awesome and your boss wants to promote you? Whole thing seems strange as someone non-gov't / state.

Anyways this link has the locality adjusted rates as well depending on where you are or the RUS version for the rest of the country.

General Schedule

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
And there aren't really "merit" increases? It is just you work for 1 year at step 3 and then you get step 4, then you work 2 years and get step 5, etc... Like, what if you're awesome and your boss wants to promote you? Whole thing seems strange as someone non-gov't / state.

This is exactly why the government is filled with worthless excuses for human beings. There is no incentive to actually work hard and excel at your job in typical government work. Half my family (probably 8 - 10 people?) work as government drones in various agencies, and they all basically just phone it in until retirement because there is no reason not to.

That said, I certainly don't fault anyone for going with a government job assuming you can live comfortably on the pay. It'll be easy work with great job security and benefits.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
5 years to get vested in a govt pension and try it out to see if it's to your cup of tea is a good plan imo.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
You might wanna look at private sector stuff as well, many big corps give preference to Vets. My friend is a high school grad, 2 yr city college, did 4 yrs as a USMC ATC, got out went to work in a control room at a Chevron refinery. He was single and bought his first house after 3 yr on the job.