State Jobs

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Check Federal Law Enforcement positions in your area. Lots of agencies hire military and even wave physicals since you get one when you leave. They will also flex on the age cutoff for 37.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't understand how the GS codes work. How do I know what to apply for? Should I expect something in the 35k-60k range...I know thats a big gap, but I just don't know what I'd be considered for. GS-7?
You basically apply for whatever you can get. Don't necessarily pass over ones that it doesn't look like you have the educational requirements for. Those are kind of bullshit, because no PhD is working as a GS-11 or whatever the "equivalent" education is. I'm currently a GS-12 equivalent with a bachelor's degree.

With USAJobs, you're looking at a minimum of 4-6 months from the time you apply to getting hired. It can certainly take longer, but in my experience that's about right.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm getting out the military in about 14 months and I was just curious when would be a good time to apply for a State or Federal job (specifically in NC).

Please don't take this as criticism, but is there any reason why you aren't considering using your GI Bill?

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Please don't take this as criticism, but is there any reason why you aren't considering using your GI Bill?

I may end up using it at some point. I have quite a lot of time to use it before it runs out. I've also already got a bachelor's in History and about a year and a half towards a master's degree in Education. I decided not to teach, joined the military for work experience (which I was lacking at the time) and that's pretty much what I've been doing ever since. I racked up over $100k in student loan debt, so a job with the State or Federal Govt. works in my favor thanks to the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Act. That's also why I'm reluctant to just jump back into school. If I get into a good field while in a State or Fed job and I want to stay there, then I will definitely give the GI Bill a longer look than I am at the moment.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You didn't get any loan assistance being active duty?

The new GI Bill is pretty sweet. You get full tuition (depending on state rate), $1000 annual book stipend, and E-5 BAH.

I did an Associate's while on active duty, and then went back to school afterwards for a Bachelor's and I didn't have to work because it covered everything (although I did get a part time job anyway).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user