Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Assassin's Creed is one of the most overrated gaming series' of all time.

It is the 'Call of Duty' of 3rd-person action/adventure. It is all pomp and style, with no substance behind it. The first game was put together by a team of 150, now they have teams of 750 churning these bloated cash-cow's out. They are "good games", in the same way McDonald's is "good food".

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Are the AC games better with a controller?
I was about to say that it was awful with a mouse, but then it occurred to me that the controller support for AC1 was also really shitty (it was a lazy as fuck port). Now I can't even remember if I played it with a mouse or Xbox360 controller. In any case, to whoever was asking about what order to play the AC games in, I can't really comment as I've only played the first (and maybe 2 hours in the second before I got distracted). The story of the first you could probably read a few paragraphs and get a good enough idea of it. On the other hand, if you just power through the game and do the bare minimum number of missions, you can probably finish the game in under 10 hours. There's not a lot to it.

Basically, I just remember pushing the same button over and over and over again. The gameplay of AC1 was fucking atrocious, in all honestly. The game world was impressive for it's time, and the story is decent enough. But god the gameplay is shallow.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are the AC games better with a controller?
Vastly. The kb/m control setup is an abomination.

As for the series the first 'trilogy' is really good. Revelations is where it started to become a dull, tedious retread as Ubi stopped caring about anything but milking the cash cow, III is worse still, but apparently it gets great again with IV. Wouldn't know though, I haven't been able to force myself to play through III yet.

spronk

FPS noob
try one of the AC games before you buy em all, if you like one you will like em all. I absolutely love ME, TLOU, AC, Bioshock, etc - big budget AAA games with good stories and locations and characters. I love the immersion of AC, I spent hours walking around Italy reading the little bio's and descriptions, just really got into that shit - even made trips out to Italy post game. I fucking love Pirates so AC4 is one of my favorite games of all time. If you prefer sandbox and MMos though I can see how none of the ACs would appeal to you

on topic, Dragon Age Origins is free on Origins this month, its just the regular version not Ultimate Edition

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
AC1 sucks. It's repetitive as fuck and pretty boring for the most part. Just skip it and play 2. It's not like the story is so interesting you have to play the first one. You can probably bang the whole thing out in about 5-6 hours if you really must though.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
Anyone played the Aveline DLC for assassins creed 3? Only AC installment I haven't tried. Played the mission with her included with Black Flag, and it peeked my interest in the rest of her stuff, but i dread going back to AC3 if it's anything like Indiankid's story.

spronk

FPS noob
free steam keys for some car racing game
We have 500,000 FREE Steam keys to give away! | VG247

i don't remember an aveline DLC for ac3, are you thinking of AC liberation? Its a standalone game featuring Aveline. Its ok, it starts out pretty good and you play out Aveline's story, but it got obviously rushed out and the last 1/2 of the game is not good and doesn't come together at all. The only DLC for AC3 is the washington stuff, which is much better than the main AC3 story. I wholeheartedly recommend skipping AC3, but if you have the DLC play just that its pretty cool - sort of an alternative "what if george washington was evil" story.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
i don't remember an aveline DLC for ac3, are you thinking of AC liberation? Its a standalone game featuring Aveline. Its ok, it starts out pretty good and you play out Aveline's story, but it got obviously rushed out and the last 1/2 of the game is not good and doesn't come together at all. The only DLC for AC3 is the washington stuff, which is much better than the main AC3 story. I wholeheartedly recommend skipping AC3, but if you have the DLC play just that its pretty cool - sort of an alternative "what if george washington was evil" story.
Yeah, was thinking about Liberation, dunno how I mixed up. Thanks for the feedback though, think I'll pass for now.
smile.png

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You can get a free copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown by voting in the Golden Joystick Awards. You need to link your Playfire and Steam accounts before that, but here's the site:

http://blog.playfire.com/2014/10/gol...free-xcom.html

You can check out the slickdeals thread I got it from, in case there's other info you need. -Free copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown by voting for Golden Joystick Awards 10-01-2014 - Slickdeals.net
Can confirm this works, got my key yesterday.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Steam does a free weekend every week now I think, this is just a bigger than usual one, with sales to boot. Picking up a couple Payday 2 DLCs I think.

Oh, Payday 1 is actually free free.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Someone needs to ask Amod to make a "Free Games" thread and sticky it. I know unless I check this thread daily I miss quite a few.

Speaking of...

AvP 2000 is free for the next 12 hours at GoG.com. Just need to insert your email for a Beta, and they'll send you the key in a couple of days.