SteamOS

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There is still 2 more announcements to come given the timer and 2 extra spots on thehttp://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/domain.
Sadly it doesn't look like any of their files give any paths to any leaks from what i've been looking into.

Obviously it'll be Steambox & Half Life 3, exclusive to the SteamOS lol
One will probably be announcement of music/video being sold through Steam, the other will be hardware related. I look forward to being wrong tomorrow / whenever they manage to wheel Gaben on another stage.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The news to me is the streaming, what I want now is a $99 (or less) HDMI dongle (or Roku-sized form factor device) letting me use a PS4 controller or other common devices (wireless/bluetooth) to play all compatible games on my big screen off of my windows box. If I ever have to rely on Linux compatibility then I'll never bother with this.

I expect something along those lines to be one announcement, and a hardware partnership of some sort for the other. Not interested in a Steam box, it can't compete with console pricing, or just building your own, and I think they're OK with that and will keep this open and at most license out branding and stuff keeping the OS very open and whatnot.

Hell, partner with Google and make this work with current/next Chromecast while you're at it. Or develop some standard to allow plugin-supporting dongles and STBs to be able to support the streaming stuff / a plugin-style version of the SteamOS.

anyone remember the initial steampowered/steamingpileofshit when it first came out and that steam was req for hl2 ... things have changed.
they still haven't addressed selling games though? (ex. not sure if/how this was resolved in germany)

labelling of min requirements should be interesting.. wonder if will be deliniated by successive hardware rollouts (and not neccessarily os updates/iterations)

steamboxoculusriftbundle / newcontroller i'm guesing will be the next updates

as with 'bigpicture', i'm expecting that there will be a 'vr mode' presentation

bytes

Molten Core Raider
It's 3:30 AM here so my brain's not working all to well, or maybe I'm just dumb as a rock and old. But why do I want a Steam OS; Big Picture mode and all that jazz is already available, what's the difference that would make this desirable?

Besides, what's it with the living room focus, consoles are already trying to do that. Since when are pc gamers playing with gamepads while sitting on the couch?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It's 3:30 AM here so my brain's not working all to well, or maybe I'm just dumb as a rock and old. But why do I want a Steam OS; Big Picture mode and all that jazz is already available, what's the difference that would make this desirable?

Besides, what's it with the living room focus, consoles are already trying to do that. Since when are pc gamers playing with gamepads while sitting on the couch?
Less overhead, optimized libraries, basically all the benefits of a console but just the OS and you make the hardware yourself.

Elerion

N00b
Less overhead, optimized libraries, basically all the benefits of a console but just the OS and you make the hardware yourself.
Is that really the benefits of a console? I thought the main benefit of a console, which allows devs to optimize the fuck out of the games, was the unified hardware.

fucker_sl

shitlord
im not the technical guy too much so sorry for the question but....why the AAA titles dont have this multiOS support ?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
You know, this might just be what ends up making me switch to Linux wholesale.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just to make sure I got this right, if I have SteamOS installed to a shitty HTPC and my main PC is in the other room.. I can stream the rendered game from the PC in computer room to my cheap HTPC?

If so.. fuck yea sign me up.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Posting this with the caveat it may all be bullshit, but it sounds plausible, and addresses some concerns raised up above about why would you switch to linux and Directx support and all that.

rrr_img_44455.jpg

Also, you'll be able to tell by Friday how much of this is bullshit and how much isn't.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Does Valve give anything back to the development community? That post is really condescending towards Microsoft because they don't give anything away but I'm unaware if Valve publishes stuff openly available or makes publicly available modifications to open source projects.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
There a larger copy of that available someplace?
right click on it, open it in a new tab, and/or increase font size in your browser to enlarge it.

Only thing really exciting to me is partnering with NVidia for the streaming. Too much OMG LINUX for me. No announced smaller solution to handle purely streaming would be a disappointment. Going w/ NVidia means that there's hope that over time we'll get their Shield product on an HDMI stick.

Honestly no single game anymore will get me excited for the most part, just getting older, less time for this stuff. The hype is less exciting. Friday sounds like a dud to me.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Does Valve give anything back to the development community? That post is really condescending towards Microsoft because they don't give anything away but I'm unaware if Valve publishes stuff openly available or makes publicly available modifications to open source projects.
I think their cut of indie projects is a lot smaller than MS's (and Sony/Apple). As well, project Greenlight is unheard of anywhere but Steam (and maybe Android, since it's an open self-publish model).

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Well, if hodj's picture has any merit, then I guess it's goodbye Windows, IF the AAA devs support it and you can get all the usual shit on the Steam OS aswell. Getting AAA games out on this platform is probably going to be the biggest issue, but then again I suspect Valve is smart enough to talk about that with the biggest players, before releasing this to the public.

Northerner

N00b
Hmm, reads like the real thing actually. It is at least plausible and honestly, I don't see any obvious discrepancies with what we already know.