SteamOS

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sucks that Steve Ballmer just retired, or we could have a war between the Fat King and the Sweaty King to find out who holds the throne in the realm of the glorious pc gaming master race.

rrr_img_44458.jpg

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Posting this with the caveat it may all be bullshit, but it sounds plausible, and addresses some concerns raised up above about why would you switch to linux and Directx support and all that.

rrr_img_44455.jpg

Also, you'll be able to tell by Friday how much of this is bullshit and how much isn't.
hl3 confirmed?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sucks that Steve Ballmer just retired, or we could have a war between the Fat King and the Sweaty King to find out who holds the throne in the realm of the glorious pc gaming master race.
Which is which?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Here is a bigger picture.

pqqyicR.png

Reddit is saying it is fake of course. Who knows if it is but they would say it's fake no matter what.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
hl3 confirmed?
That's what I got from it too. The hard dead lines for announcements mean that everyone can be tentatively exited but not really care that much until Wed/Fri.

NVIDIA releasing linux compatible drivers that surpass the windows ones and a source2 engine that competes with windows-based engines? That's really huge.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
If Steam can successfully (and finally) push Linux into a serious competitive relationship with Windows then everyone wins. My fingers are crossed.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If Steam can successfully (and finally) push Linux into a serious competitive relationship with Windows then everyone wins. My fingers are crossed.
This isn't Linux per se thoug. This is Linux framework, it sounds like I am being pedantic but it's an important distinction.

They are making an OS built off Linux framework but gutted of anything that isn't absolutely necessary for gaming.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
And happens two weeks after I build a new PC. Mother fuckers, lol.

Oh well, I should still be good for a few years.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah pretty much.

It'll either be massively huge or it'll be all bullshit. But since the Steam OS is pretty big and already happened, I'd say we're more likely to see huge before we see bullshit.

Of course, in the end, Valve could troll the fuck out of us all and just announce a new Left4Dead game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's huge in that it will make Linux a lot more viable platform. I don't think I'd pick SteamOS over some other Linux distro though, especially if components of it are proprietary.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This isn't Linux per se thoug. This is Linux framework, it sounds like I am being pedantic but it's an important distinction.

They are making an OS built off Linux framework but gutted of anything that isn't absolutely necessary for gaming.
Not sure which linux distros aren't OS' built off linux frameworks. I do agree that there's a huge difference between SteamOS being a nix system that runs Halflife3 and BF5 and me being able to play the next CoD on ubuntu 13.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Not sure which linux distros aren't OS' built off linux frameworks. I do agree that there's a huge difference between SteamOS being a nix system that runs Halflife3 and BF5 and me being able to play the next CoD on ubuntu 13.
They all are but they add in all the things. SteamOS won't. You are looking at a stripped kernel with only just what it needs.

Have you ever done a gentoo stage 1? It's like that, for gaming.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
And happens two weeks after I build a new PC. Mother fuckers, lol.

Oh well, I should still be good for a few years.
The only way this affects a PC you just built is if you weren't going to buy a Windows license for it. The hardware spec for this platform is going to go back quite a few years.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if there will be much of a disparity between intel/amd and nvidia/amd.