Stellaris

Rime

<Donor>
Sadly, it seems that all of the Mega-Buildings, other than the Habitat (which can be gotten relatively early) are just 'win more'. They all take 10-20 years to build the BASE and then you have to spend 5-10 years for each additional piece, of which there are 3 to 5. By the time you get to where you have the knowledge to make them, you should have already won the game already and are just building them for funsies.

You can also only build one of them (Dyson Sphere, Sentry Array, Science Station, Ring World) at a time, regardless of how large of an empire you control. Which is... really lame.

I was hoping for something like the super weapons from the Sins of a Solar Empire series or something more extreme like other 4x Space Games have done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sadly, it seems that all of the Mega-Buildings, other than the Habitat (which can be gotten relatively early) are just 'win more'. They all take 10-20 years to build the BASE and then you have to spend 5-10 years for each additional piece, of which there are 3 to 5. By the time you get to where you have the knowledge to make them, you should have already won the game already and are just building them for funsies.

You can also only build one of them (Dyson Sphere, Sentry Array, Science Station, Ring World) at a time, regardless of how large of an empire you control. Which is... really lame.

I was hoping for something like the super weapons from the Sins of a Solar Empire series or something more extreme like other 4x Space Games have done.

Pretty much. The cost/benefit ratios made them never worth building anyway.

Rime

<Donor>
Also - Achievements are currently broken, as in they cannot be earned, even on Ironman mode. Should be fixed sometime this week.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was pondering getting it because it was on sale but a friend got it for me so I did 26 hours over the weekend.

It really just seems like luck of the draw what you get for research choices. So often it is 5 or 6 things I just don't want. Is there any way to hit an obscure button that gives you a new list of choices? Or some way to direct it a bit?

I like AI stuff and my first game I barely got any choices at all. Just some targeting computer stuff. Second I got a few then it dead-ended and I just ended up with alot of +5 to energy weapon damage crap.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I finally got put in a quiet corner with friendly neighbors. I'm 443 years old and still ruling! Built all the big stuff, kind of kept to myself. Had a couple wars for funs.

Ran out of stuff to research 200 years ago I'd guess. Just lots of +5% stuff now. 61 hours, I really need to do my taxes.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, the tech tree isn't all that deep. You get to "slightly more gooder" fairly quickly. And it is just card based and ethics/government based. Really is luck of the draw in most ways.

There are a few lines that you can concentrate on. Techs locked behind other techs and nowhere in the game will it tell you that. But after a few runthroughs or probably reading the wikki you'll see how that works. I haven't played recently so I forget the name of them. Some of them are kinda non intuitive too. To be able to make Cybermen you have to research a certain tech in social. It has the effect to forcing research diversity a little bit. I think it might be something like "Computational Ethics" is a pre-req for Sentient AI.

As if my Cybermen are ethical.

iannis

Musty Nester
I feel like they could get away with loading up Alpha Centuari, looking at that tech tree, copying the entire thing verbatim, and dropping it into Stellaris with a few very minor adjustments.

AC had an amazingly well thought out tech tree. And even though it's what, 20 years old, it's mostly still relevant.

Don't go. The drones need you. The drones look up to you.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So my goal starting out was to be an eternal Empress. I went with the Venerable starting trait, and researched a couple life extensions, and then went with machine mindstate transfer when I was around 120ish.

I was kind of disappointed in the "everyone is now a robot" result. They popped up a thing to let me rename my civ, why not some custom appearance too?

Also AI kind of dead ended. Most schools of thought are that any AI capable of self improvement would grow more intelligent quickly, but my pops seem only slightly smarter than regular organics.

2 or 3 civs keep banding together and warring me, but I just send fleets into their systems and blow up all their infrastructure.

So if another civ reaches the victory conditions is that game over? I found the tab that has them and the conditions seemed kind of vague.

Rime

<Donor>
So if another civ reaches the victory conditions is that game over? I found the tab that has them and the conditions seemed kind of vague.[/SPOILER]

AI can 100% win the game. But you can continue playing if you wish.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I don't really particularly want to control the rest of the galaxy.

When people attack me I usually gain a bit of territory, but one nearby civ I should be able to protectorize is constantly in a federation.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So since I can only build 1 megastructure at a time (boring), I realized that tons of mineral is just going to waste because I cap out. So I started just giving it to other civs in 30k chunks. My standing in the galaxy has improved considerably.

Also I had all these migration treaties with everyone but nobody ever moved to my worlds. Eventually I found the species checkbox to show the rest of the galaxy and set everyone to full citizen social welfare (best I can do as an Empress). I'm like Sweden now, except I have orbital mind control beams to force them to learn the language and get jobs and stuff.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Oh one odd thing happened when I did that species thing. These hive mind people I had conquered didn't have any sort of options for standard of living other than hive mind so I hit that. When I did that it turned on purge and started exterminating them. There was no way to turn it off.

I looked in my settings and purge was forbidden, but it did it anyway. Surprised wacky aliens wanted to move to my Empire after that.

Rime

<Donor>
You cannot integrate Hiveminded planets as they are auto-aggro to anyone who is not a Hivemind. Same if you are playing a Hivemind, you kill any non-Hiveminded individuals on your planet - There is a tech late in gene-mapping that lets you turn normal populations into Hiveminded, but it is usually not worth it.

• 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Has anyone played the DLC yet? I want to pick it up, but I've been kinda down on Stellaris lately -- sucks too because I love Paradox

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ive played it a bit. Its definitely nice that they fixed the problems with lower researched ships being more efficient than upgraded ones. If youre burned out on Stellaris though not enough will have changed to make it feel better.

Last edited:

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Robots seem nice but to much micromanage required. You have to manually build each pop

You can queue them up the same way you do buildings to make it less work and if i remember right they fixed the bug where you were still paying maintenance on robots that hadnt started building yet.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Playing as robots puts a HUGE crunch on your minerals. Later into the game with 14 planets, I was generating 150 minerals per month and still mineral poor. It puts a bit more emphasis on energy too because pops are maintained with it, but I had no problem capping that even though my monthly net wasn't that high. Maybe I built too many power plants and not enough mines.

I don't know how any would win a game as determined exterminator. Eventually, someone's going to declare war on you and than everyone else will dog pile you. I'm trying the assimilation one now, but I'm not sure how other species react to that.